Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Sign [Q] SGS2/CM Installer Rooting Clarification Required.

OP theinvisibleknight

5th April 2014, 06:57 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
Firstly, A very Good day to all the awesome people at XDA and my fellow SGS2 users !

To begin with, I am completely new to this scene, so please bear my lack of know-how.

I have a SGS2 GT i9100 and after years of running the stock JB 4.1.2, I have decided to install the new KitKat ROM 4.4.2. So after days of researching I am considering the use of CyanogenMod installer to install the new ROM, since it seems like a safe and stable bet and Philz-CWM as recovery ( Thanks to @Vivek_Neel 's advice ) - Is this a reliable method to move ahead with ?

Also, just to clarify the order doing things - Flash Philz-CWM ( v 6.25.0 ) >>> Then run CM Installer or is it the other way round

Before I do anything, however, I have some doubts which I am hoping to get clarified :-

1) [Regarding CyanogenMod Installer] - Off the many DIY's that I came across regarding installing the new KitKat ROM, almost everyone seems to mention downloading the Main ROM file and Google Apps file and transferring it to the phone before starting.

So If use the CM Installer, do I too need to download and transfer to my phone - the Google Apps and/or any other ancillary files ( if so, which ones ) or will the Installer do it by default ?

2) According to the CM wiki, CM Installer will install a "stable snapshot build unique to the installer. These are stable builds designed to provide all core features and functionality of the device." - What does this mean in layman English ? Also all the guides for installing the KitKat ROM are using "Nightlies" - So which one should I use - What's the difference ?! And will the CM Installer install KitKat 4.4.2 ?

3) Just to clarify, after installing the Custom ROM, will I be able to download and use apps as I was doing when I was using the stock JB 4.1.2 ?

Once again, please bear with my rookie-ness and I look forward to your answers.

Cheers !
Last edited by theinvisibleknight; 5th April 2014 at 07:13 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread