XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] About Changing To Custom ROMs From Scratch

Tip us?

souler456
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 59
Default [Q] About Changing To Custom ROMs From Scratch

I'm planning to use Custom ROM for my JB using Custom Kernels from my Rooted ICS, and I have questions and doubts. Here's the steps and the Q's they have:

So, here's the steps I planned based on my S2 Guide Surfing:

1. Root my ICS (Done)

2. Flash Stock JB Official Firmware via Odin XWMS1? XWMS2? or XWLSW?

Questions Regarding This Step:

A. Do I have to backup my /efs folder from ICS here?

B. Do I have to Wipe Data/Factory Reset + Wipe Cache BEFORE/AFTER flashing the JB Firmware?

3. Flash Siyah? or DorimanX? Kernel via Odin

A. Can I run these kernels on my Stock JB ROM (if succeededly flashed)?

B. If I do a backup on Siyah via its CWM, and changed to DorimanX, then noticed that the kernel's not my type, can I restore my backup from Siyah's to DorimanX's CWM? Or does the both kernel have the same CWM?

4. Flashing Custom ROM via Custom CWM

A. If I flashed a Custom ROM which has a Cusrom Kernel inside (like NeatROM, I suppose), will it be overwritten my Siyah/DorimanX kernel? Or they will still be there?

Thanks for Noticing My Questions! And Very Thanks for Answering Them!

Proud Samsung Galaxy S2 User

☆ My S2's Internal Organs☆

ROM: Unofficial SlimSaber 4.4.2 by fusionjack(04/01)

Kernel: Gustavo Kernel (04/07)

V4A Settings: Stereo Headset Settings for the Poor ♪( ロ ๑)♪

☆ Wanna Delve Deeper? ☆

CPU Freq > 1GHz (-50mV)

GPU Freq > 66 - 108 - 160 - 200 (-50mV)

Gov - I/O > Ondemand - SIO

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3022
1) Yes, I'd backup up EFS immediately after you root your phone (and even before you do a nandroid backup with CWM). Use Hellcat's kTool from Google Play (and buy Hellcat a beer after you download it).
2) No. No need to wipe when flashing stock firmware (you can if you want though if you like a really clean install) because you're going to be wiping before you do a custom rom install anyway.
3) Yes. You should be able to run Siyah or Dorimanx just fine on stock JB (make sure you choose the right build though; read the threads devoted to these kernels to work out which build you need).
4) Yes, if you do a nandroid backup with CWM while running Siyah, and you switch to Dorimanx & decide you don't like it, you can restore your backup & go back to Siyah.

Though you could just easily re-flash Siyah with CWM to achieve the same result. That will probably be quicker than restoring a backup (say, 2 minutes Vs 10 minutes). If you re-flash a kernel, just the kernel changes, none of your settings/apps/anything else does, so restoring a nandroid just to go back to a particular kernel is overkill.

5) Yes. If you flash a custom rom, the kernel bundled with that rom will overwrite/replace your current kernel. If you don't like the kernel bundled with the rom, you should be able to use any other kernel you want with it provided the kernel you want to use works with the base of the rom (I.E the kernel you want to use works with TW roms if you're running a TW rom, or AOSP if you're running an AOSP rom) & the Android version of the rom you're running. Again, read the thread devoted to the kernel to determine compatibility before you flash it (worse thing that can happen if it isn't compatible is the phone will bootloop though; unlikely to brick your phone outright).
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Probably the best thread ever posted on XDA
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
Donate to you ?? Bahahaaaaahahahahahahaaahahaha !!!
The Following User Says Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]