Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,883 Members 42,267 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Charging paused due to over voltage

Tip us?
 
demondor
Old
#1  
demondor's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 42
Posts: 202
Join Date: May 2011
Exclamation [Q] Charging paused due to over voltage

Over the last few weeks I've been noticing my battery levels fluctuating when I plug it in to charge and alot of the times my phone thinks it's still charging even when the plug is removed. Also when I switch off my phone- the battery charging icon keeps sporadically popping up preventing me from starting my phone- the only way to start it is to actually connect the charger and hit the power button.
I noticed this problem whenever I try any of the ICS roms- the error message 'Charging paused due to over voltage' keeps popping up. I've gone flashed various gingerbread roms thinking it was a software issue but now I think it may be a problem with my charging port. I also checked my voltage levels and they're hovering around 3.9V. Does anyone know what's happening and how to fix it?
 
cz.marcin
Old
#2  
Member
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 72
Join Date: Oct 2010
Did You get Your handset liquid damaged? Might look like a silly question but i would sell mobiles myself and noticed that such symptoms might to be related to water/condensation damage...
Hopefully not in your case
*SAMSGHI9000*-GONE
*SAMSGHI5800*JPQ*G3Mod@1400MHz*-GONEx2
*SAMSGHI9100BLACK*[rom][XWKK5][XWKL1][cwm][ics domination 1.8][jkay 13.4.1][12-01-2012] V3RTR3MA.v.4.4*-GONE
*SAMSGHI9100WHITE*XXLPH (4.0.3)stock*- GONE
*SAMSGHI9300BLUE* - GONE
*SAMSGHI9505BLACK* - GONE
SAMSGHN9005BLACK - NOW
 
demondor
Old
#3  
demondor's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 42
Posts: 202
Join Date: May 2011
Well no, my phone's been dry throughout. Never got it wet. The condition has progressively gotten worse over the last week. The switching off problem and ICS issues tipped me off that there was a problem here. All this time I thought my battery fluctuation issues were because of the rom/kernel
 
cz.marcin
Old
#4  
Member
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 72
Join Date: Oct 2010
Probably the best idea would be to flash stock rom from your country and send it away for warranty repair, with a charger attached... no point fiddling with it yourself (especially that its not firmware related)
Good Luck
*SAMSGHI9000*-GONE
*SAMSGHI5800*JPQ*G3Mod@1400MHz*-GONEx2
*SAMSGHI9100BLACK*[rom][XWKK5][XWKL1][cwm][ics domination 1.8][jkay 13.4.1][12-01-2012] V3RTR3MA.v.4.4*-GONE
*SAMSGHI9100WHITE*XXLPH (4.0.3)stock*- GONE
*SAMSGHI9300BLUE* - GONE
*SAMSGHI9505BLACK* - GONE
SAMSGHN9005BLACK - NOW
 
skoop99
Old
#5  
skoop99's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 158
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chester

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondor View Post
Over the last few weeks I've been noticing my battery levels fluctuating when I plug it in to charge and alot of the times my phone thinks it's still charging even when the plug is removed. Also when I switch off my phone- the battery charging icon keeps sporadically popping up preventing me from starting my phone- the only way to start it is to actually connect the charger and hit the power button.
I noticed this problem whenever I try any of the ICS roms- the error message 'Charging paused due to over voltage' keeps popping up. I've gone flashed various gingerbread roms thinking it was a software issue but now I think it may be a problem with my charging port. I also checked my voltage levels and they're hovering around 3.9V. Does anyone know what's happening and how to fix it?
Mine does the same - BUT it only started after I flashed an ICS ROM? And it's intermittent; some days it doesn't do it at all, then it'll do it all day... No logic to it? And my phone has never gotten wet either...
Devices past & present:

- Latest toy - Kindle Fire HDX - stock for now...
- Sony Xperia Z C6603 - tweaked a little

- Google Nexus 7 (2012) 3G - rooted within 5 minutes of opening the box... - SOLD
- Motorola Defy (work phone - it'll do...)
- Kindle Fire HD - Stock - SOLD
- HTC Titan - Dynamics 2.0 WP 7.8 ROM - SOLD
- Samsung Galaxy S II - SOLD
- HTC HD2 - SOLD

- And the rest are ancient history...
 
lummujaj
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 109
Join Date: Jun 2011
Ive had the same problem with all ics roms.now im back to stock gingerbreed.anyway ics on this phase is still beta and problems are normal. w8 for mpre stable rom dude.
 
skoop99
Old
#7  
skoop99's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 158
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chester

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by lummujaj View Post
Ive had the same problem with all ics roms.now im back to stock gingerbreed.anyway ics on this phase is still beta and problems are normal. w8 for more stable rom dude.
Of course; it's a funny one, though? I've just rebooted my phone several times, removed the battery, reinsterted, rebooted, and it's behaving again...
Devices past & present:

- Latest toy - Kindle Fire HDX - stock for now...
- Sony Xperia Z C6603 - tweaked a little

- Google Nexus 7 (2012) 3G - rooted within 5 minutes of opening the box... - SOLD
- Motorola Defy (work phone - it'll do...)
- Kindle Fire HD - Stock - SOLD
- HTC Titan - Dynamics 2.0 WP 7.8 ROM - SOLD
- Samsung Galaxy S II - SOLD
- HTC HD2 - SOLD

- And the rest are ancient history...
 
demondor
Old
#8  
demondor's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 42
Posts: 202
Join Date: May 2011
The weird thing is the problem has carried itself over to the gingerbread roms. The core problem is that my phone thinks the usb/power cable is plugged in when it's not
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anything I've said helps, do hit the 'thanks button
 
lummujaj
Old
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 109
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by demondor View Post
The weird thing is the problem has carried itself over to the gingerbread roms. The core problem is that my phone thinks the usb/power cable is plugged in when it's not
root the phone, go to recovery menu , go format system, data, all there one by one, turn off the phone , put it on download mode, and back to original stock rom
 
demondor
Old
#10  
demondor's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 42
Posts: 202
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lummujaj View Post
root the phone, go to recovery menu , go format system, data, all there one by one, turn off the phone , put it on download mode, and back to original stock rom
Just to clarify, I don't format efs and emmc yeah?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anything I've said helps, do hit the 'thanks button

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes