Unhappy [Q] Completely dead phone.. possible to retrieve photos?

Hi everyone, bit of a long story this one so feel free to skip the next couple of paragraphs.

Got a new Samsung S4 mini and at the time was using a Samsung S2. So when the new phone came I wanted to get some stuff from my old phone to the new one. So I tried with the Smart Switch app, I downloaded and installed it onto the S4 without any problems, but when it came to trying to get it onto the S2, I wasn't even able to find it in the play store, because the version wasn't compatible.

So off I went to settings, to try and install the S2 into the latest Android version which downloaded fine, but for some reason it was failing during the installation stage. The phone told me to do it via KIES instead. So I got KIES onto my PC and tried updating the phone via that. This was when even more problems started, it seemed to update, but then on the phone there was a message something like "updating android apps" and it got on the final couple of apps and it never installed, it was basically frozen (I left it a while, maybe not long enough), so the installation of the apps was disrupted when the USB was taken out. The screen stayed the same so I just turned the phone off and tried to reboot it but it wouldn't power up at all.

I can not enter download or recovery mode, the phone doesn't even switch on. It's as if the battery is completely dead.

Long story short: Can I retrieve photos from the internal storage of a dead phone, somehow? I'm not fussed that the phone is/may be broke. All I want is the photos from it so I can transfer them to my new phone.

From what I've read over the last few days, updates etc shouldn't delete things like photos. So it's really annoying that the photos are there on the phone, I just can't get to them. >