Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,095 Members 40,814 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Does CWM and/or Philz Touch update itself?

Tip us?

Kozmyk
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Does CWM and/or Philz Touch update itself?

I'd have put this question and bug report directly to the [PhilZ-cwm6][i9100/P] Stock Kernel+CWM6+Root+exFAT+NTFS-MS3 thread but my post count doesn't allow me to post in there yet, need 10 posts ....

Samsung Galaxy S2 - GT-I9100
Updated quickly from ICS to JB to KK over the last week or so.

CWM
I went for Philz Touch philz_touch_6.07.1-i9100.zip that gave me CWM 6.0.4.9 and the fancy purple GUI stayed for one boot but then reverted to a simpler layout though retaining the touch functions.
I also tried another Philz version which didn't boot at all.
And another philz_touch_6.43.4-i9100.zip which worked except that WiFi wouldn't switch on. That also gave the purple GUI for one boot only before reverting. Curiously this one gave me CWM 6.0.4.8
So I've gone back to the philz_touch_6.07.1-i9100.zip for now as that's the best I've found so far that works without problems for me.

My Questions are:
1. Is this normal?
2. Is there some hidden intelligence at work here changing the versions?
3. Is the CWM updating itself as I install it??

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3205
The root of your issue is this - any recovery flashed independently of the kernel on the I9100 will only persist until the next reboot. Why ? Because recovery is 'baked' into the kernel on this device & is not in its own separate partition like many other phones (where you can flash whatever recovery you want with whatever kernel you want; on the I9500/I9505 as an example). Once you reboot, your recovery will revert to that included with whatever kernel you're running.

If you want to use a particular CWM version permanently, you need to run a kernel that has it.
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
The Following User Says Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kozmyk
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Excellent answer.
Baked in eh?
I'm beginning to understand but it's odd that the CWM 6.0.4.9 and the CWM 6.0.4.8 DID persist but the purple GUI front end didn't.
Either way, the CWM 6.0.4.9 I've got in there now is working happily with my ParanoidAndroid ROM and that's the main thing isn't it.