Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,868 Members 42,634 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Debrand, etc. [A] How to root GT-I9100T (Australian user)

Tip us?

GeeBeeHaych
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] Debrand, etc. [A] How to root GT-I9100T (Australian user)

Hey everyone,

First post, n00b question - please be gentle.

First, I'll start with a positive. I have come from using an iPhone, and I was quiet comfortable with jailbreaking and cydia. I now have a Samsung Galaxy S 2 / II (GT-I9100T). I am from Australia, and on the Telstra network. Whoever is in the same boat would know it is quiet an adjustment, but you can root! (if you wanted to know).

I followed this persons 3 part guide and with sucess:
I cannot post the link but it is on YouTube and the video title is:
How To Root The Samsung Galaxy S II - Part 1
How To Root The Samsung Galaxy S II - Part 2
How To Root The Samsung Galaxy S II - Part 3
Username is mattj101101

I had Android 2.3.3 installed.

Second part is a question, is there any debranding roms / kernals that is ok for the GT-I9100T? I have tried the *#272*IMEI# but it only had 'Preconfig - TEL'

My phones info:
PDA: 19100TDVKF4
PHONE: I9100TDVKF2
CSC: I9100TTELFK3

My Kernal version, after the root is 2.6.35.7-I9100XWKDD-CL161513root<insertATsymbol>DELL103 #2

Hopefully with these answers I can help other fellow people out with this particular model (that are sold in Australia). Also if someone has the stock Telstra rom for re-flashing (if needed for warrenty) please point me in the right direction.

Thank-you.
The Following User Says Thank You to GeeBeeHaych For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

etern1ty
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Hey,

Ive got the GT-I9100T from Vodafone (both can run on the telstra bandwidth now ) and have had no issues flashing most roms. Only thing you may notice is the new modems aren't as good as the stock ones you currently have, so you may need to reflash the original modem through odin to get the best support.

Before you do flash though, make sure you back up your /efs folder, it contains the bin files for your IMEI for your phone, and people have reported flashing a rom can change that, so beware! also, before you do flash, try find the stock telstra rom for your phone incase you need to reflash. There are a few threads about it all, so good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to etern1ty For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

veyka
Old
Retired Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 2,685
The i9100T can use i9100 roms, but it will change the product code to i9100.

Easiest way to root is using CF-root, match the part of the version number in bold "PDA: 19100TDVKF4"

My phones info:
PDA: The rom/kernel
PHONE: The modem/radio, responsable for signal quality and speed, you dont need to match this to rom version, and the best way to find a good one is to test different ones.
CSC: APN settings and bundles apps, no need to match this, but if you do chose to all you may have todo is enter your APN settings for internet and MMS manually.

You can flash any rom onto any SGS2 via odin, see this guide, that will debrand etc.

Also, you rooted using a very old insecure kernel, people have had random reboots with that one, I suggest you flash back your stock kernel (you will keep root) or flash a version of cf-root (you will gain clockworkmod recovery, a way to flash roms/etc from your phone, and nandroid, a whole phone backup system, like snapshots)

Nexus 4
SGS2 Apps safe to remove
Need hosting for your development work? Contact me, maybe I can help.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to veyka For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fransarj
Old
(Last edited by fransarj; 21st August 2011 at 01:39 PM.)
Thanks Meter 36
I would recommend flashing DarkyRom2 on your S2. Runs fast, stable and great battery life. It roots your phone as well and changes your kernel to SuperCore which has a lot of optimisations.

Instructions:

Since you're not rooted (stock firmware/kernel)
1. Flash SuperCore_1.7.tar with Odin (put in PDA and do NOT tick repartition)
2. Get DarkyROM2 Tool and Superuser from market
3. Upload DarkyROM2_XXKH3_Base_R2.zip to SD-Card (INTERNAL)
4. Open DarkyROM2 tool. Accept SuperUser access request notification (this confirms you are rooted.
4. Under the DarkyRom tab, be sure "Wipe User data" is selected AND "INSTALL MODEM" is NOT SELECTED. (this will wipe everything from your phone but keep your stock KF4 modem. Any other modem causes signal problems for our I-9100T. )
5. No need to select "Install Kernel" Since SuperCore 1.7 is already installed.
5. Go back to the General Tab and use "Flash/Install File from SDCARD" to browse to and install DarkyROM2_XXKH3_Base_R2.zip
6. Wait for the phone to reboot and flash the new firmware

Get the files here:
http://www.darkyrom.com/community/in...kh3-base.4950/

I modified the instructions given on that link and posted it above for you since it's a little different for our I-9100T phones.

more info on I-9100T here:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...9&postcount=10

Samsung Galaxy S 4 GT-I9505 16gb + 64gb Sandisk Ultra Class10
Rom: Phoenix Rom V8 4.4.2
The Following User Says Thank You to fransarj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ApriliaM3
Old
(Last edited by ApriliaM3; 6th February 2012 at 10:35 AM.)
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 13,645
Interestingly, I just purchased a SGS2 here in Thailand (I'm also an Aussie) and the model of the phone is GT-I9100T.
Unfortunately I cannot seem to find a KL2 kernel for CF-Root to patch it with... any suggestions?
Also, the site that held all the OEM kernels (MultiUpload) for download is now showing a "Shut down by the FBI" logo : )

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3,205
As long as you're certain you've got a I9100T, use the KL1 CFRoot kernel. Will work fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApriliaM3 View Post
Interestingly, I just purchased a SGS2 here in Thailand (I'm also an Aussie) and the model of the phone is GT-I9100T.
Unfortunately I cannot seem to find a KL2 kernel for CF-Root to patch it with... any suggestions?
Also, the site that held all the OEM kernels (MultiUpload) for download is now showing a "Shut down by the FBI" logo : )
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?

ApriliaM3
Old
Thanks Meter 13,645
My phone details are as follows:
Model: GT-I9100T
Android: 2.3.6
Baseband: I9100TDCKL1
Kernel: 2.6.35.7-I9100TDCKL2-CL767350 root@DELL155#2
Build: GINGERBREAD.DCKL2

This is not an Aussie phone such as the Telstra I9100T that I see spoken about.
I purchased this phone here in Thailand 3 days ago and I have a few questions.
1. Is there a way to backup the original kernel before rooting?
2. Will the KL1 kernal make me lose things such as Thai language options etc?
3. Any way to restore the KL2 kernel in the future?

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle View Post
As long as you're certain you've got a I9100T, use the KL1 CFRoot kernel. Will work fine.

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3,205
1) Doubt it. And the only link for DCKL2/Thailand in Intra's official firmware thread is dead as it was MegaUpload, and he more than likely won't have a backup (you could always ask him tho). Search around elsewhere online, you might find a copy of this kernel somewhere.

2) I don't know for certain, but I don't think so. I would have thought something like language would be more firmware-related.

3) Refer to 1) I don't see why you'd need to ? In order to get warranty service from Samsung, all you'd need to do is flash the most recent firmware available for your phone (for all they know you could easily have got this from an OTA update via Kies), do a factory reset/make sure there's no apps left on your phone that could tip off whomever repairs it that the phone was rooted, and use a jig to reset the flash counter. Obviously there are no rolled gold guarantees with getting warranty service once you've voided same by rooting the phone/running non-stock firmware firmware on it, tho.

Quote:
My phone details are as follows:
Model: GT-I9100T
Android: 2.3.6
Baseband: I9100TDCKL1
Kernel: 2.6.35.7-I9100TDCKL2-CL767350 root@DELL155#2
Build: GINGERBREAD.DCKL2

This is not an Aussie phone such as the Telstra I9100T that I see spoken about.
I purchased this phone here in Thailand 3 days ago and I have a few questions.
1. Is there a way to backup the original kernel before rooting?
2. Will the KL1 kernal make me lose things such as Thai language options etc?
3. Any way to restore the KL2 kernel in the future?

Thanks for taking the time to reply!
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
The Following User Says Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ApriliaM3
Old
(Last edited by ApriliaM3; 8th February 2012 at 09:17 AM.)
Thanks Meter 13,645
I was just worried it might stop future updates to ICS or similar via Kies.
At least I think I've managed to find another copy of the latest kernal on a site other than MegaUpload...
It's at 50% and counting : )

3) Refer to 1) I don't see why you'd need to ? In order to get warranty service

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3,205
Running a CFRoot kernel over stock firmware should still allow you to receive OTA updates via Kies. If you find it doesn't, simply use Checkfus (search for it on here), it allows you to find/download the latest firmware for your phone/country that you'd normally get via Kies.

Really ? Cool Might wanna post a linky to your source over in Intra's thread. I'm sure there will be other people who might need it at some stage.

Quote:
I was just worried it might stop future updates to ICS or similar via Kies.
At least I think I've managed to find another copy of the latest kernal on a site other than MegaUpload...
It's at 50% and counting : )

3) Refer to 1) I don't see why you'd need to ? In order to get warranty service