Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,682 Members 42,007 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Will be doing review for Clove - what questions are you looking to be answered?

Tip us?

NZtechfreak
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 913
Default Will be doing review for Clove - what questions are you looking to be answered?

Hi everyone,

I'm going to be writing a review when the SGSII comes out for the Clove blog, interested to know what questions everyone has for the review, and what they want to see demoed on video.

Let me know and I'll try to get through everyones questions in the review.

Will be a slightly different slant on the review than places like Engadget, in that I'll actually be using the phone as my fulltime handset, so if things like the GPS are amiss I should be far less likely to miss it than those reviews (real user feedback as it were).
Twitter: @nztechfreak
Blogs: androidnz.net, blog.clove.co.uk
Facebook: http://goo.gl/baZHQ

The Following User Says Thank You to NZtechfreak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

martino2k6
Old
Thanks Meter 232
Great news! Here are a couple of things I'd like to know:

1) Battery. How much does it last under different circumstances? So, WiFi on/off, NFC on/off, display brightness and so on. I know that making all possible combinations between all these options is impossible, however at least something indicative of how long the battery lasts in day-to-day use would be nice.
2) Heat. Does it really get so hot?
3) Graphics performance. Can you play Tegra 2 games on it? How well do they play and what are the graphics abilities of the device (so far we saw sub-par graphics benchmarks which were most likely due to the drivers so it'd be interesting to see whether anything has been done with that)?

Thank you in advance.
Samsung Galaxy i7500 (CM7) -> HTC Desire (CM7) -> Samsung Galaxy S (CM9) -> Samsung Galaxy S3 (CM10.1) -> Sony Xperia ZL (stock/rooted)
Asus Transformer TF101 (CM9) -> Galaxy Tab 7.7 WiFi (stock/rooted) -> Galaxy Tab 7.7 3G (PA) + Toshiba AT201 (stock)
Font Changer - change your default system font (now works on MIUI too)
Clipboard Contents - extend your clipboard's functionality
VM Heap Tool - change the size of the heap for your device

NZtechfreak
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 913
Thanks for your questions, gaming and battery life will definitely be covered (I'm also interested to know whether the Tegra Zone games will run on it, that said for all I know the first ones to ship could be Tegra based anyways), good question about how much the device heats up.

The Following User Says Thank You to NZtechfreak For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BoostedSR20
Old
Thanks Meter 173
I'm mostly interested in general performance, such as browsing speed, flash speed, installing apps, (especially multiple updates on the market) any lag anywhere etc.
Also talk about the screen, would be nice to see it compared in depth with a SGS.

Also any chance you could install a 3rd party launcher and compare overall speed/lag/features etc with TouchWiz?
One+ One - stock/rooted/TWRP
Dell XPS 12
-----
My cars, bikes, phones, and high powered lasers
My photography

virussnake
Old
Thanks Meter 12
first and foremost i'd like to know when you will be getting the device.

do you have anything more specific than mid-late march?

MikeyMike01
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2461

DONATE TO ME
Use it for more than 30 seconds, like the SGS reviewers didn't. Otherwise they might have noticed the lag, gps, etc.

Captivate, XDA Premium, Cyanogenmod
Apple iPhone 5S
Google Nexus 7
Motorola Moto X
Nokia Lumia 521
Apple iPhone 5
Google Galaxy Nexus
Samsung Galaxy S II
Motorola Xoom
Samsung Infuse 4G
Samsung Captivate

NZtechfreak
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedSR20 View Post
I'm mostly interested in general performance, such as browsing speed, flash speed, installing apps, (especially multiple updates on the market) any lag anywhere etc.
Also talk about the screen, would be nice to see it compared in depth with a SGS.

Also any chance you could install a 3rd party launcher and compare overall speed/lag/features etc with TouchWiz?
Will cover that indepth. Will be doing a screen comparison with first and second gen AMOLED screens (HTC Desire, SGS1), and also iPhone 4.

I'm a LauncherPro user, so will also be using that in the review and comparing to TW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virussnake View Post
first and foremost i'd like to know when you will be getting the device.

do you have anything more specific than mid-late march?
I don't know anything more than you guys yet, will post anything I hear about release date/expected delivery of stock as I become aware of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
Use it for more than 30 seconds, like the SGS reviewers didn't. Otherwise they might have noticed the lag, gps, etc.
This is going to be my new phone, I'm purchasing it from them, rather than being supplied it for review, so this won't be a review written after a days use like you'll see at lots of places. It will be my day to day phone, and I'll release the review in installments as I feel able to get a solid feel for the aspects I'm reporting on. The last part will probably be a couple of weeks down the line from release, and that will be the one that will be able to give much better feedback on things like battery life, performance under higher loads etc. If you guys have particular suggestions for some good stress tests for performance let me know.

Kailkti
Old
(Last edited by Kailkti; 6th March 2011 at 03:01 AM.)
Thanks Meter 114
Camera performance would be nice. eg. details, contrast, noise levels, features, how long it takes to process a picture, artifacts.
Camcorder also. Say look out for stuttering in videos, reproduction of frames.
As stated above, a thorough test of the phone's performance for lag or any inconveniences in performance.
Sound/Speaker quality and its volume levels.
UI/UX interface. Eg. is it polished like HTC sense, or as functional
I guess check for if all its features are working. Eg. wifi, GPS, NFC, MHL
A review of the battery life would be nice, however i think I already know the answer to that, since it only has 1650mAh/1500mAh
That's all i can think of for now.

Edit:
Also I noticed in the blog how clove wants users to discuss the price of the Galaxy S II. Just wondering, and understandable if you do not wish to answer, but, is the reason you wish to discuss is to also discuss with samsung the huge price for the galaxy s II so as to negotiate a price drop? Or is it simply for some healthy discussion?

NZtechfreak
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 913
The review will be my first piece for the blog, so I have no inside information on the discussion of the price that is currently running, and the motivation behind it.

Currently testing out RMAA software on my PC, but looks like I should be able to give good objective feedback about sound quality.

virussnake
Old
Thanks Meter 12
did you volunteer to review it? how come they chosen you? why will you do it?