Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,305 Members 44,107 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Exchange Services suck up battery with 4.0.3

Tip us?

Andy__roidy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Exchange Services suck up battery with 4.0.3

I upgraded via FOTA to official I9100XXLPQ, ICS 4.0.3.

I noticed immediately there is a lot more battery drain than before. The culprit is Exchange Services, which keeps on waking the phone very often. I have set my Exchange account syncing option to sync every four hours, but it seems to work in real time push mode instead. In battery stats I can see that the percentage of battery used and wake up time for Exchange Services increases steadily.

I did a quick google search and found out this problem is major PITA with Nexus S and ICS. Can't say how disappointed I am. Only workaround I've found is to manually disable Exchange Services in Settings-Apps.

Seems that this upgrade is not for features or usability. It is solely meant to circumvent Apple patent lawsuits and is absolutely rubbish inside. I don't want to go into deeper discussion of bugs and worsened features I've discovered. This email battery drain thing is definitely biggest showstopper in my case. I really need my corporate email from Exchange server and disabling ES is not a feasible workaround.

Question: Is there an easy way to downgrade an unrooted SGSII to pre-ICS firmware?

ugle43
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Not very helpful, but I have the exact same problem om my SGS2, battery drains after 8 hours, compared too 36 hours before, and I had push-mode activated before as well. I hope somebody finds a fix for this.

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3205
Yep. Find/get the PC version of Checkfus (search for it on here/Google) which will enable you to download the latest firmware available for your carrier/country (assuming they haven't released ICS yet, if they have, we'll cross that bridge if we get to it). Flash said firmware following instructions here.

Back to GB. Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy__roidy View Post
Question: Is there an easy way to downgrade an unrooted SGSII to pre-ICS firmware?
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
The Following User Says Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Andy__roidy
Old
(Last edited by Andy__roidy; 15th March 2012 at 01:19 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle View Post
Yep. Find/get the PC version of Checkfus (search for it on here/Google) which will enable you to download the latest firmware available for your carrier/country (assuming they haven't released ICS yet, if they have, we'll cross that bridge if we get to it). Flash said firmware following instructions here.

Back to GB. Done.
Thanks! Will try that.

EDIT: LOL; Google Play crashed while downloading Checkfus. Reboot and try again. Now Checkfus hangs indefinitely while downloading presets. And my battery is soon dead...

bilybob
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I had similar problem with Exchange battery drain. I managed to fix mine...

You can see what I did on my blog post ...

http://avpaul.blogspot.ca/2012/03/ex...n-android.html

k4mr4n94
Old
Thanks Meter 6
Smile I have a potential solution

I noticed that my emails were not coming up on my Hotmail account using the standard email app on my galaxy s2. The ROM I'm using is the Resurrection remix 1.0. My battery used to last only 3/4 hour. Now, when I clear my memory, Exchange services stop running which gives me a nice long battery life. When I start the email app, I can see that on my network bars, I see the up and down arrows constantly on, meaning data is coming in n out the phone. As soon as I close exchange services, these arrows disappear. This clearly shows that there has been a problem with syncing the email to the phone and for some reason its constantly probably trying to fetch these emails. What I did was, delete the email addresses connected to the app, and then connected the emails to the phone again. I put it on WiFi so that all the emails would sync properly, when I see that the arrows on the WiFi signal bars are gone, I knew that the emails were synced properly. Since then I've had no issue with battery drain

Hope This helps!

By the way, this was the first time it had happened to me. I had reinstalled the rom on my phone due to testing out others. I originally had Resurrection 1.0 with all emails connected, no issue at all. Then tested some newer roms, then went back to resurrection 1.0. So i'm sure its just a sync problem. Just delete the connected email and reconnect it the the phone, and let all the emails sync properly in one go!