Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,106 Members 40,521 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Fist time sgs2

Tip us?

demon2112
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 169
Default Fist time sgs2

Hi guys,cant seem to find where to start its all a real blurr.
I jave a sgs2 with 4.2.2 on it and i hate my huawai thing so wanna root the s2 and flash custom firmware.
Installed kies already kies recognises the phone but odin doesnt when i put it in download mode,
Can someone pleaseplease point me to the rigjt thread or giva a step by step tutorial because im not getting it clear on my head.

I had a sgs1,galaxy nexus and a xperia z so have a little experience so i dont know why im strugling

Sent from my HUAWEI P6-U06 using XDA Free mobile app

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3,206
For problems with Odin flashing, you need Hopper8's 'Odin troubleshooting' thread stickied in General. Covers every possible scenario in these situations.

For root, you need PhilZ. Search for the thread. If you find the instructions 'difficult', don't attempt anything until you understand what it is you're trying to do. You risk breaking your phone if you ignore this. I've never seen a guide/tutorial on here that was 'difficult' (people who find them difficult often don't have a handle on 'the basics'; refer to my last para).

For flashing custom roms, you need to simply follow the flashing instructions which are always simple & always on the first page of the thread devoted to every rom.

Guides/tutorials stickied near the top of General are a fantastic grounding in what makes this phone tick if you're serious about learning this stuff (99.99% of people who come here aren't though).
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
The Following User Says Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

demon2112
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 169
I saw a thread on philZ i read there that i can just flash the kernel to obtain root?
And i will look in to all youur pointers thank you

Edit.
Most roms OP state.... Just flash in cwm

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3,206
Yep. Read the PhilZ thread so you can work out which kernel you need, flash the kernel & you get a rooted phone + CWM. And yeah, pretty much every rom flash is put the files on your internal or external SD card, boot into CWRecovery, navigate to files, flash. Done.

One small thing to be aware of, newer 'KK based roms' tend to require newer versions of CWM in order to flash, so make sure you read the threads devoted to those especially thoroughly if you decide to flash them.
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?

demon2112
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 169
Yeah i kow that from my xperia z, the newer cwm is needed foot kk .
And what about the bootloader do i need to unlock it?

Im sorry for all the questions its been a while since i flashed a sammy

pargas
Old
Thanks Meter 57
My thought: You say you have 4.2.2, are you sure it is a 9100 and not the sgs2+. Different hardware .

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to pargas For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

demon2112
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 169
Im from the netherlands and im sure its a i9100

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3,206
Bootloader is not locked, no need to touch it, read the guides/tutorials & you'll learn this stuff - no more answers to basic questions you can easily find answers to.

The Following User Says Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]