FORUMS

[Q] Any major problems with this phone?

791 posts
Thanks Meter: 11

By borchgrevink, Senior Member on 16th June 2011, 03:13 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
I have an SGS1 now. Considering upgrading due to unfixable lag with it. Is the SGS2 free from major problems?

16th June 2011, 03:38 PM |#2  
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Experience may vary .. but for me, after 1 week (coming from HD2), it's a dream phone. Biggest problem seems to be battery life. My is comparable to HD2, but some people have considerate problems with it.
16th June 2011, 03:59 PM |#3  
Thanks Meter: 0

More
Battery life (fixable - there are some rogue processes that eat it up), banding (16bit color instead of 24bit - fixable, driver issue).
16th June 2011, 04:37 PM |#4  
Flag Belgrade
Thanks Meter: 9

More
phone gets very hot when gaming, radio is a bit f***ed in that sometimes you cannot get the internet to work when going from wireless to 3g (workaround is to toggle flight mode, bit annoying to be honest). some are experiencing a yellowish left side of the screen, though i personally do not have that problem.

all in all it's a good phone with a few quirks, but comparing to sgs1, (had it previously as well) i must say that it is quite a leap in the right direction.

speaking of lag on sgs1, have you updated to 2.3.3? i gave the phone to my mom and installed 2.3.3 and the lag is almost gone to be honest.
16th June 2011, 04:42 PM |#5  
Flag Kerry
Thanks Meter: 200

More
My Wifi signal seems week ?
16th June 2011, 08:32 PM |#6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 11

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrej.marinic

phone gets very hot when gaming, radio is a bit f***ed in that sometimes you cannot get the internet to work when going from wireless to 3g (workaround is to toggle flight mode, bit annoying to be honest). some are experiencing a yellowish left side of the screen, though i personally do not have that problem.

all in all it's a good phone with a few quirks, but comparing to sgs1, (had it previously as well) i must say that it is quite a leap in the right direction.

speaking of lag on sgs1, have you updated to 2.3.3? i gave the phone to my mom and installed 2.3.3 and the lag is almost gone to be honest.

Have 2.3.3. but lag returns after a while...
16th June 2011, 08:40 PM |#7  
Flag Spokane, Washington
Thanks Meter: 4,426

More
OP, go visit a few forums for phones that have recently been released. The new question isn't "are there any major problems?", but "which major problems should I investigate?" I would challenge any existing SGS2 user to point out a dual-core phone that has fewer issues. You'll find "different" issues, but not "fewer." For now, for me, there's no phone currently out that I'd replace the SGS2 with.

And OP, the direct answer to your question is find the threads on display banding, Wi-FI performance, GPS, 2/3/4G radio, audio, camera, and battery life and if, based on your needs, you're OK with what's been discussed you should be fine.
16th June 2011, 08:56 PM |#8  
Flag Lisbon
Thanks Meter: 36

More
OP, just read across this board and see! No need for a new thread.
17th June 2011, 01:47 AM |#9  
Thanks Meter: 131

More
Had it for a few days. My wifi works fine, no light leaking out of the sides, battery life is normal for an Android smartphone. I don't notice any banding (and I'm not going to go looking for it).

Coming from a Nexus One it's a massive upgrade. Couldn't be happier with it (aside from the loudspeaker quality, iPhone 4 is better in this regard).

By all means take the plunge. It's the best phone currently on the market.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
17th June 2011, 02:04 AM |#10  
Flag Brisbane
Thanks Meter: 1

More
I have to keep resetting my internet connection (Go into Airplane mode, and out) as it seems to get stuck when switching from H(SDPA?) to 3G...

I'd say it's a major... but only effects a few people, it seems.
17th June 2011, 05:06 AM |#11  
Thanks Meter: 74

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis

I have to keep resetting my internet connection (Go into Airplane mode, and out) as it seems to get stuck when switching from H(SDPA?) to 3G...

I'd say it's a major... but only effects a few people, it seems.

Which network are you using? It could be an issue on the provider's end! I am on Telstra NextG and find that the issue occurs only in certain areas. I believe it is very tower-dependant as I can go into areas where it flips between 3G and HSPDA+ many many times without fail and then I can get into an area which I assume have not been upgraded and I will end up with the phone stuck in one of the two modes and not be able to transfer data.

Read More
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread