Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,276 Members 38,895 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Format UMS partition back to FAT32

Tip us?

Stargazer Optimus
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Format UMS partition back to FAT32

I started playing with my Galaxy S2 I9100 recently after upgrading to a Galaxy S4 I9505 and trying custom ROMs. As the system partition wasn't big enough to install a ROM and a full Gapps package, I thought I'd try to change the partition table and increase the size of the FACTORYFS and DATAFS partitions at the same time reducing the size of the UMS partition.

My first attempt was to use parted through an ADB bridge with the phone in CWM recovery and doing so managed to get the phone working with the exception of the camera which immediately threw up the error 'Unfortunately camera has stopped working.' The Gallery app also doesn't work saying there is no storage present. When using the print function of parted, there was a msftres flag indicated for the FAT32 formatted UMS partition.

I have since used PITmagic to set FACTORYFS to 1GB and DATAFS to 4GB but interestingly when using the print function in parted, DATAFS and UMS had nothing listed under filesystem. I was able to get the DATAFS partition to ext4 using the wipe data function in CWM recovery but am unable to get the UMS partition formatted to FAT32. I have tried flashing busybox to use the mkdosfs or mkfs.vfat commands but these are unable to format a partition of the size that my UMS currently is set at.

Does anyone know of a way to reformat the internal UMS partition back to FAT32?

Stargazer Optimus
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I eventually got this sorted but it seemed like a fairly complicated process. Firstly I used PITmagic to prepare a PIT file which I flashed using Odin. All the necessary files and instructions por PIT Magic can be found in the links below:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...y-app-t2538947
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1916936

By booting into recovery (either CWM or TWRP will work for this) I was able to format some of the partitions but not all. I then used parted which is included in both CWM or TWRP to print out the partition table. Where a partition was not what it should be I removed it then recreated it using the guide I found for a kindle fire in the link below:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1388996

Note that ext4 partitions cant be created in parted so I created them as ext2 partitions and upgraded them as in the guide. The big problem with the FAT32 partition for UMS is that it gets the msftres flag set owing to a bug in parted. However by flashing the same PIT file as before through odin this can be removed.

Now my camera works as the UMS partition mounts properly.