Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,832 Members 51,593 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Frequent loss of signal - CLOSED!!

Tip us?

banjara
Old
(Last edited by banjara; 2nd June 2014 at 08:33 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 104
Thanks a lot. I really appreciate it.
This whole fiasco was a great learning for me. Lost imei and baseband on my way and recovered them too. And looks like it will end in me performing a DIY on my phone.
For now the signals are stable for more than 12 hours which is like the most I have seen since 3 days. I will see if I can utilize your guide this weekend.
Thanks again for your help and time.

Can loosing imei/baseband be the cause of loosing connectivity?

EDIT 1: And my troubles are far from over. It still needs to be switched to aeroplane mode and switch it off to get the connectivity back or a reboot is required. The worst problem is that now the signal shows full in the status bar but with "No connectivity" or "Emergency calls only" which is even worse to handle.
Looks like it can connect to the network provider normally but cant hold the connection for long and requires a reset. Will changing USB port help in this kind of case?

EDIT 2: After a whole day of being on stock and switching the phone into aeroplane mode again and again, I thought of giving custom roms another try. On a KK ROM and on another JB ROM (4.1.2) it was a total struggle to even connect to a network. Tried various modes - wcdma, gsm, auto but nothing worked. Tried different modems too but it just ended up in making the phone really hot. Experimented so much that even when the sim was in, i got the message - "insert sim card to access network". Back to stock rom now.
Galaxy S2
ROM: C-Rom 7.1

keithross39
Old
Thanks Meter 1179
I don't know whether there is any circuitry inside the speaker / antenna module that will cause issues with signal.....the fact that some people say that modifying the USB board affects signal leads me to think that there probably isn't and that it's all housed on the USB board........
And I'd advise that you back up your IMEI and EFS folder while it is intact.....before you attempt to flash anything else.....
A good app for this is ktool on the play store.......
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...droiddev.ktool

My wife says I'm a phone geek....She's probably right
The Following User Says Thank You to keithross39 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

banjara
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 104
Backed up everything a long time back itself when I saw myself become flash maniac. thanks for the advice though.
I checked up USB port on eBay and it is not available in my country. From US shipping and all makes it unaffordable . Will be visiting a service center today or tomorrow.
Galaxy S2

banjara
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 104
Eventually Waterboarding was the culprit. Got a call from service center today that they found waterlogging on mainboard. Getting it replaced now.
Heavy on pockets but still cheaper than an equally capable new phone.

Thanks keithross39 for all the help. Appreciate it.
Galaxy S2
The Following User Says Thank You to banjara For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

keithross39
Old
Thanks Meter 1179
No problem fella......just be prepared for other issues too (might never happen.....but......)
If the water damaged the main board, other boards might have been affected too......

banjara
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 104
I was starting to feel relieved after knowing mainboard issue, but here you are, scaring me more :P
Alright, I will keep an eye on the day to day activities of my phone for few days once its back. I just hope it comes out alive.
Galaxy S2

keithross39
Old
Thanks Meter 1179
Lol...just mentioning the "worst case scenario*......but on the bright side, every other board in the phone costs pocket change.......

The Following User Says Thank You to keithross39 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

banjara
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 104
Asked the service center guys and they say everything is fine with other components. Looks like they are not interested in my pocket change

One last question, does changing the mainboard changes your imei number?
Galaxy S2
The Following User Says Thank You to banjara For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

keithross39
Old
Thanks Meter 1179
An authorised service centre should be able to re write your IMEI....but under normal circumstances it will change.....