[Q] Galaxy S II Modem

OP tny143

28th May 2014, 12:06 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Hello everyone
I have a SGS II GT-i9100T which is a gift from my brother from New Zealand.
Im running CM 10.1.3 and sometimes my signal drops, "Emergency calls only"! Ive tested the Simcard on other phone and its fine.Could anyone suggest me a modem to flash to my phone?

Im living in Germany and using O2-de.

Thank you.

Here is some info in case you need them:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-05-28-12-52-35[1].png
Views:	31
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	2767276   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-05-28-12-52-24[1].png
Views:	29
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	2767277  
28th May 2014, 12:34 PM   |  #2  
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 113

412 posts
More
i am not very sure whether geographical location affects modem or not, but there was a country based thread for India. They have some popular modems listed out here -
http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...based-t2184193

You can get flashable modems here - http://veyka.co.uk/sgs2/radios/

have fun testing them.
The Following User Says Thank You to banjara For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th May 2014, 01:13 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 3,206

7,088 posts
Forget the fact you're in Germany; stick to modems bundled with stock roms released by carriers who sold the I9100T. Go to Samfirmware, use the pulldown boxes to make a list of all the stock roms released by carriers which sold the I9100T (there aren't many). If you click through each stock rom in turn it will list the modem - make a list of all the modems. Then search for CWM flashable versions of these modems on here (easily found with a search), download them, and start testing them out.

Only if you get to the point where you've tried all of these modems & they don't improve your connectivity should you consider flashing regular I9100 modems (I know this because I have an I9100T).

You might also be suffering from a long standing problem with CM roms where connectivity just goes away for no particular reason at all. The way you'd test if this is the case or not is to do a clean install of a stock rom released by a carrier which sold the I9100T (doesn't matter which, but don't flash 4.0.4).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ View ]
28th May 2014, 01:33 PM   |  #4  
Flag Bangalore
Thanks Meter: 113

412 posts
More
I missed on seeing that the phone involved here is i9100T. My Bad.
Apologies for feeding you wrong info here.
The Following User Says Thank You to banjara For This Useful Post: [ View ]
31st May 2014, 05:49 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 291

1,621 posts
Donate to Me
More
sorry for "ruining" this thread, but:

1. How to know what the best modem is for you (I live in the netherlands).
2. Can you flash a modem on any android version? (I'm on carbon 4.4.2 rom).
3. Is it safe like rom flashing?
31st May 2014, 06:48 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 3,206

7,088 posts
^^^

1) The way I always tell people to approach this is similar to what I said to the OP; go to Samfirmware, find all the stock roms released by your carrier, click through on each one & make a note of the modem. Search here/Google for CWM flashable versions of each modem, and test them out. If you find you go through all the ones bundled with stock roms released by your carrier & your connectivity is still bad, do the same with modems bundled with stock roms released by other carriers in your country. If your connectivity is still bad after that, flash any modem you can get your hands on.

But for most people, modems bundled with stock roms released by their carrier should work best; rationale being you'd hope the carrier would have fully tested them to ensure they work for most people most of the time on their network.

If your connectivity is currently fine, there's no need to go messing around with modems. Chances are you'll make it bad if you do I.E if it ain't broke don't fix it. Only mess around with modems if you have problems with connectivity.

2) Yes, modems are independent of Android version.Same risk as flashing anything else (I.E very small risk of the flash going bad with any given flash).

3) Risk should be minimal; I've never heard of anyone borking a phone with a modem misflash, but anything is possible I guess.
Last edited by MistahBungle; 31st May 2014 at 06:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread