Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,332 Members 53,021 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] galaxy s2 kernels?

Tip us?

Jumong_mirana
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] galaxy s2 kernels?

Hello im still newbie on flashing roms/kernels on galaxy s2 ive just tried flashing roms. Havent tried to flash kernels.. Do i need to wipe data before flashing kernel.. How to know if that kernel was supported on my rom.. Currently i have installed beanstalk rom 4.4. 2 and i want to flash kernel that has tweaks but im unsure of what kernel to flash on it i might got brick again if i flash unsupported one...

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3205
Do you need to wipe data when flashing kernels ? No. You shouldn't need to wipe cache/Dalvik either, though do it if the developer of the kernel says to in the flashing instructions for the kernel.

How to determine rom compatibility for a kernel ? Read the first page of the thread devoted to the kernel. Should tell you what it's compatible with, if it doesn't, ask in the kernel thread. The worst thing that can happen if you flash & it isn't compatible is you'll end up with bootloop. Unlikely to brick your phone outright unless you're one of the 0.000001% of people who end up with a bad flash full stop.
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?

Sun90
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 8800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumong_mirana View Post
Hello im still newbie on flashing roms/kernels on galaxy s2 ive just tried flashing roms. Havent tried to flash kernels.. Do i need to wipe data before flashing kernel.. How to know if that kernel was supported on my rom.. Currently i have installed beanstalk rom 4.4. 2 and i want to flash kernel that has tweaks but im unsure of what kernel to flash on it i might got brick again if i flash unsupported one...
Stay with stock kernel that comes with 'Beanstalk 4.4.2 rom' for now

And Do some reading with the below mentioned kernel threads

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2222843

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2291756
"Knowledge Stays Fresh if Shared else Rots"
Please:

omkarsathe92
Old
Thanks Meter 149
Smile Hope this helps

Check out Galaxy S2 & Moto G Rom Reviews and How-To Videos on My YouTube Channel