Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,457 Members 51,597 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Galaxy S2 MHL cable subtitles problem

Tip us?

oneill366
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Galaxy S2 MHL cable subtitles problem

Hello there XDA users!
I have a problem with viewing subtitles for movies via my MHL cable (oryginal) on TV screen.
Stock movie player shows them (.srt) but it doesn't make subtitles dissapear when the dialogue finishes (it just leave them on when nobody is talking till the next dialogue). Other movie players from market (like mVideoPlayer or QQplayer) doesn't show subtitles on TV screen at all (just on the phone screen).
I would be very thankful of Your advice.

Cheers.

oneill366
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Am I the only one facing this problem?
Can't find solution myself.

Alchemius
Old
Thanks Meter 0
You are not alone in this, but apparently there are very few people (or devices ;) ) with this particular problem. I myself have this as well. I can't imagine why this is such an "exclusive" bug. The only player from the market (that I have tried) that displays subtitles over MHL is Rock Player Lite, and only if you select software decoding mode, but then you will also have a mildly annoying logo on the upper left corner of the screen... plus it crashes a lot in my case, no idea if it'll crash to you too.

May I ask what your firmware is? Mine is 2.3.3 (XWKF3).

oneill366
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for Your reply.
I have Lite'ning Rom v6.1 XXKH3 and speedmod kernel K1-T30.
I didn't try Rock Player Lite as I was aware of that annoying logo. I would be very happy if I only had fix for stock player (as I consider "not disappearing" subtitles to be easier to manage, but I'm not sure).

Alchemius
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Same here. Apparently, the MHL interface is designed to send the video feed directly, without any interface "overlay" (in this case subtitles). No "mirroring" effect, like when in the Galaxy menus etc. Rock Player achieves that only when using software mode. In hardware mode you will get no subtitles (and no logo ). After having used mVideo Player, I searched their forums, and it was mentioned that Samsung has modified their stock player to take care of that.

As I have mentioned in another post, I have tried .srt & .sub files, as well as both ANSI & Unicode encoding for the charsets (english-only and non-english). I even changed the phone language to english, hopping that it would be something this trivial. As you can imagine, the subtitles are never removed from screen and change only when a new line is to be displayed. I can't imagine that all my subtitles are defective or that there is noone else with this kind of problem.

Come on people ! What are we doing differently? I want to belong to the rest of you fine problem-free movie-watching GalaxySII-owners ...

PS: BTW, I have this problem even when viewing on the phone's screen, not just via MHL. How about you? Also, how do you transfer files on the phone?

oneill366
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Yes, as I posted I also have problem with not removing subtiltes till the next line on the phone screen using stock player. Thats the main problem, because i will survive with no mVideoPlayer support for MHL cable if I will be able to watch movies with properly working subtitles using stock player.
Still mVideoPlayer support would be AWESOME!

anthropoidape
Old
Thanks Meter 15
I too have noticed the problem of subtitles appearing, but not disappearing until the next subtitle appears, with the stock media player.

Am I reading the comment from Alchemius above correctly, to say that this is only a problem for some of the Galaxy S2s?

I just assumed it was a bug that needs to be sorted out in the software for all the SGS2 units out there.

Alchemius
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Actually, this is what I am trying to figure out myself. I have asked this question in other topics as well, but apart from a couple of owners (only 2 so far !!! 3 if I include you), I get no response. Most of the SGS2 users probably use another media player (e.g. mVideoPlayer) that has no such problem, and won't notice it.

It would be pretty weird to assume that this is a problem for only a few handsets, but then again, apart from us three, nobody else is complaining. I know that the MHL API from Samsung is indeed modified, in order to send the subtitles via MHL, and I would imagine it being responsible. But as I said, noone else is complaining. And that's what worries me...

rene0907
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Ive got this problem. Im facing some crashes when some video is playing too. I think this issues is all about softwares... Maybe Ill try to change the firmware...
My fw now is UHKE2

eranyanay
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Im facing the same issues as mentioned here.
Thats sad as most of my movies I tried to move to watch them with the device on a big screen are DTS...
So DicePlayer works great..on the phone, on the screen its another thing.
BsPlayer, Vplayer and any others are slow.
mvideoplayer = no sound
What we've got left? isnt there any kind of mod or change to make the default player support it?
I dont buying an app for a few bucks. I tried Dice and it wasnt well.
I just want it to work..

And the built-in player isnt that great either, as the encoding isnt right. Im using hebrew subtitles and it shows only some signs.

Tags
cable, hdmi, mhl, subtitles, tvout