Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,571 Members 51,462 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Galaxy s2 turns off when not charging.

Tip us?

emil90
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question [Q] Galaxy s2 turns off when not charging.

Hi
I'm having a samsung galaxy s2 gt-i9100 and it's out of warranty. My problem is that it shuts down whenever it is not charging. It is perfectly ok when it is charging but shuts down when it is removed. When it is unplugged it will stay on longer if I turn the power saving mode on but when I turn the data connection on or when I try to call someone, it shows there is no network.The phone turns off if I put in a sim card and an SD card simultaneously, so I'm not using the SD card slot now.

Not a software problem because everything is alright when it's plugged in. I tried changing the kernel, rom but to no use.

Can anyone help me fix my phone. Any help is really appreciated.. Thanks in advance..

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3205
Probably a short somewhere & probably caused by moisture. That's the nature of it, damage occurs very slowly/over a long period of time & there isn't a lot you can do about it.

Start with the obvious/cheap stuff first; clean battery contacts with isopropyl alcohol, then replace battery, then replace USB board - KeithRoss39 has a guide to enable you to do this yourself easily/quickly/cheaply (~US$10).

That's about all you can do easily yourself, from there you'd be looking at replacing the motherboard, but unless you already have the experience with electronics like this, you're going to be paying someone else to do that.

Even though it's more than likely not a software issue, do a completely clean install of stock anyway, because it costs you nothing.
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
The Following User Says Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

droidbaker
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by emil90 View Post
Hi
I'm having a samsung galaxy s2 gt-i9100 and it's out of warranty. My problem is that it shuts down whenever it is not charging. It is perfectly ok when it is charging but shuts down when it is removed. When it is unplugged it will stay on longer if I turn the power saving mode on but when I turn the data connection on or when I try to call someone, it shows there is no network.The phone turns off if I put in a sim card and an SD card simultaneously, so I'm not using the SD card slot now.

Not a software problem because everything is alright when it's plugged in. I tried changing the kernel, rom but to no use.

Can anyone help me fix my phone. Any help is really appreciated.. Thanks in advance..
I know it is obvious but - How old is your battery? Have you tried different battery? I would start with this...