Set Up Your MediaTek Device with Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide

As can be seen with the use of MediaTek chips in Android One devices … more

Sony Updates AOSP Sources to Android 5.0.1

Just a few days ago, Sony did an utterly fantastic job by pushing out numerous device trees for … more

Stop Your Screen From Turning Off with KeepItOn

We all know the feeling of reading a news article orrather longdocument, when our screen … more

The XDA LG QPair Developer Challenge Voting Has Begun!

It seems like it was just yesterday that weannounced that we had paired up with LGto … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Galaxy S2 Won't factory reset

OP Suradjify

18th January 2014, 08:09 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

21 posts
Hi,

I am having some issues with my SGS2 and wondered if anyone had any suggestions before i send it back for repair. It is a stock sim free UK model, not rooted. There is no SD card installed just the internal 16gbyte flash.

I was noticing more force closes on apps than normal so i decided to reboot the phone. I then noticed that my recent text messages had disappeared back to the 19th Jan. So after sending some more i rebooted the phone again and they had gone..I then deleted all the text messages and sent some more, rebooted the phone and the old ones were back and the new ones had gone back to the same date.

I thought i would then just factory reset the phone and start over again. However it won't factory reset. It goes through the motions and sends me to the bootloader screen where i wipe data and clear cache. However still it refuses to delete the stuff on the phone or factory reset it!

Things i have tried..
-Factory reset both with security menu and keypad sequence
-Reset by going to bootloader from cold boot and wiping data and cache
-Mouting it as a usb flash drive in use developer mode and formatting the drive through windows (even this doesn't get rid of the photos on the flash drive)
-reflashing the default firmware with odin

Basically i cannot do anything to the phone to make it reset or delete any of the things on it. I can go into the gallery and delete all the photos but as soon as you reboot they are all back!

I don't want to root the phone to try and solve the problem as it may need to go back but as an engineer it is frustrating being beaten by a phone, so i wanted to see if i could get any advice from here.

Thanks in advance.
19th January 2014, 10:53 AM   |  #2  
OP Junior Member

21 posts
Help
19th January 2014, 11:13 AM   |  #3  
Flag Everywhere
Thanks Meter: 289

964 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suradjify

Hi,

I am having some issues with my SGS2 and wondered if anyone had any suggestions before i send it back for repair. It is a stock sim free UK model, not rooted. There is no SD card installed just the internal 16gbyte flash.

I was noticing more force closes on apps than normal so i decided to reboot the phone. I then noticed that my recent text messages had disappeared back to the 19th Jan. So after sending some more i rebooted the phone again and they had gone..I then deleted all the text messages and sent some more, rebooted the phone and the old ones were back and the new ones had gone back to the same date.

I thought i would then just factory reset the phone and start over again. However it won't factory reset. It goes through the motions and sends me to the bootloader screen where i wipe data and clear cache. However still it refuses to delete the stuff on the phone or factory reset it!

Things i have tried..
-Factory reset both with security menu and keypad sequence
-Reset by going to bootloader from cold boot and wiping data and cache
-Mouting it as a usb flash drive in use developer mode and formatting the drive through windows (even this doesn't get rid of the photos on the flash drive)
-reflashing the default firmware with odin

Basically i cannot do anything to the phone to make it reset or delete any of the things on it. I can go into the gallery and delete all the photos but as soon as you reboot they are all back!

I don't want to root the phone to try and solve the problem as it may need to go back but as an engineer it is frustrating being beaten by a phone, so i wanted to see if i could get any advice from here.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know if it's possible in the standard android recovery, but can you go into recovery, then mounts and storage, mount system, format system and do the same for data and cahe (mount and format). Everything will be lost! Then flash your firmware again through odin.
19th January 2014, 11:17 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

21 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christiaan91

I don't know if it's possible in the standard android recovery, but can you go into recovery, then mounts and storage, mount system, format system and do the same for data and cahe (mount and format). Everything will be lost! Then flash your firmware again through odin.

when i go into recovery i just found clear cache and clear data !
19th January 2014, 11:22 AM   |  #5  
Flag Everywhere
Thanks Meter: 289

964 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suradjify

when i go into recovery i just found clear cache and clear data !

It looks to me that you've tried everything you could for a non rooted device.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9100 met Tapatalk
20th January 2014, 05:07 PM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

21 posts
Hheelp please
20th January 2014, 09:54 PM   |  #7  
Flag Varėna
Thanks Meter: 69

430 posts
Donate to Me
More
I can't understand. You tried to wipe data and cache ?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
galaxy s2
Previous Thread Next Thread