Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,145 Members 42,211 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Galaxy SII - Stuck on GTI9100 Splash screen - Access to download mode only

Tip us?

mrkipling
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Galaxy SII - Stuck on GTI9100 Splash screen - Access to download mode only

Phone:
Galaxy GTI9100 (UK SIM Free Version)
Unrooted and unmodified, running stock JellyBean Firmware.
(Out of warranty as well)

Issue:
Left phone powered on, phone charging overnight, Woke up to find phone stuck on GTI9100 splash screen.
Phone fails to restart or enter recovery mode - will only enter Download mode.

I have tried the following:
Flashing various ROMs using Odin (including the 3 part (PDA, Phone, CSC) Official JB ROM.
These all fail, not even managing to start the flashing process - (in later version of Odin this normally pauses at 'NAND write Start' then fails after a few mins)

Flashing Philz Kernel & JB ClockWorkRecovery mod via Odin (These both look like they are going to flash and the green progress bar goes accross in Odin, and the ROM counter increments on the phone, but the flash does not compete and eventually fails)

I've tried the above using Odin versions: 1.3, 1.7, 1.83, 1.85, 3.04 and 3.09
I've also tried on two different machines (Windows 8 64bit and windows 7 64bit)
Using 3 different USB cables, and both the KIES drivers (after uninstalling KIES) and the standalone driver package.

Any other suggestions, or is this new mainboard time?

I also am encountering a weird battery issue now (although I think this manifested itself, after I tried to flash the CWM recovery tar file) where the batter indicator icon comes up when the phone is plugged in, but the battery icon just stays grey, with the circle on it, and does not show the battery level or charging indicator.

Many thanks

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3205
NAND corruption = replace motherboard.
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?

mrkipling
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle View Post
NAND corruption = replace motherboard.
Thanks - I've read a few posts that suggest a re-partition with a .PIT file and/or flashing a bootloader may resurrect it.
Do you see any point in trying these methods?

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3205
Actually, just had another read of your thread (it was a bit of a War & Peace job... I'm kidding :P If only everyone in this situation gave us as much background as you have) & had a thought...

The very last bit of your OP - I'd be replacing the USB board/port first. Find KeithRoss39's guide in General (search for 'Replace USB charger board'), easy to do & will cost you a tenner. Might just enable you to get that successful flash. In saying that though, everything else you've said does also point to the NAND being stuffed (perhaps as well) or something else going on hardware-wise.

So...Try replacing that USB board & see how you go/before you try flashing anything else. The board being on the fritz will absolutely stop you getting a successful flash, so cross fingers this is all it is.
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?

mrkipling
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle View Post
Actually, just had another read of your thread (it was a bit of a War & Peace job... I'm kidding :P If only everyone in this situation gave us as much background as you have) & had a thought...
Haha... yeah, apologies for the novel!

Thanks for the advice, I'll have a go at replacing the charger board and see how I get on.

Mark

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3205
I was joshing about the novel It's good to have someone who posted here & gave us every last bit of info about what's been done to the phone recently. At times it's like pulling teeth/people tell you nothing & expect you to be a mind reader.

Post here again once you've replaced the USB board whether it worked or not, if it wasn't successful someone else might have something to suggest before you decide to start replacing motherboards. Hopefully all that won't be needed though.
The Following User Says Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
download mode, sii