Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,370 Members 37,321 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

GT-9100T

Tip us?

deanobro
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctomgee View Post
KF4 is the build, (I believe K is the year, F is the month, and 4 is the build number) the DV portion indicates where and for what carrier (if applicable). It's some wonky code Samsung came up with. I don't know the logic behind how they picked them though.

DVKF4 is for Telstra in Australia, from what I can tell.

Edit to add: forgot to say; carrier and location are unimportant when rooting, so that's why I said any insecure KF4 kernel should work for you.
ahhhh okay, thanks for explaining that, Does using any KF4, affect what roms i could use later on at all? sorry for asking so many nooby questions.

ctomgee
Old
Thanks Meter 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanobro View Post
ahhhh okay, thanks for explaining that, Does using any KF4, affect what roms i could use later on at all? sorry for asking so many nooby questions.
Nope, should not.
The Following User Says Thank You to ctomgee For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

deanobro
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctomgee View Post
Nope, should not.
So i'd just need to find the kernels, and then i assume find out about what program to root and flash with? and then how to install roms and stuff etc?

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3,205
Yep. Everything you need to know is in the Stickies, CFRoot thread, the carrier branded firmware thread & the country specific/non branded firmware thread.

So far as flashing custom roms or kernels go, follow whatever instructions these particular roms or kernels have.

Those firmware threads I linked you to have tutorials that shows you how to use Odin which you can use to root your phone initially. You can also flash stock roms if you ever need to at some point in the future with it. Once your phone is rooted, most custom roms/kernels are flashed via CWM (or Mobile Odin).
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
The Following User Says Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]