5,595,067 Members 40,569 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q][GT-I9100M Virgin/Bell] Can't Unbrick, always "Complete(Write) operation failed"

Tip us?

invalidtarget
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Phone [Q][GT-I9100M Virgin/Bell] Can't Unbrick, always "Complete(Write) operation failed"

Hey everyone, thanks for taking the time to look at this and potentially help me with this issue. I'm pretty new to all of this, so I'm hoping for a little guidance in my moment of need!

First off, I'd like to say that I have tried just about every solution offered on this wonderful site and all to no avail... I currently own a SOFT-bricked (CAN open download mode, CAN'T open recovery mode) Samsung Galaxy S II (model number GT-I9100M) and have had no success in unbricking it. From what I gather (please correct me if any of this is incorrect) I need to flash the stock kernel for my phone, which should be the UGKG2 version that I have already downloaded and tried to flash. The issue I am having right now is that every time I try to flash using Odin3 v1.85 (KIES doesn't recognize my phone at this stage) I get the error "Complete(Write) operation failed." It doesn't matter what I attempt to flash, I always get this error and am told that the flash has FAILED.
The custom binary counter on my phone is up to 7 attempts now, and still no working kernel or even a working recovery mode.

A little backlog on how I ended up here, in tldr format:

1. Friend gave me the software-unlocked Virgin Mobile phone. He unlocked it so I could use it with my provider, Telus.
2. I received the JB update and allowed it to patch (unbeknown to me that it would re-lock my phone.)
3. Phone became locked and I didn't have a SIM-Unlock code (nor did I want to buy one...)
4. I attempted to re-root my phone and, long story short, something went wrong (wrong file perhaps). I can't remember what I did at this point, but the end result was that the phone would no longer load. I could only (and still can only) access download mode.
5. After several attempts of correcting my firmware and all that via searching threads, I decided to finally MAKE one so that I might get some direct help.

So now I'm here. As I've said, I have tried basically every solution that I have read about: changing my USB port, reinstalling KIES for my phone drivers, I have removed my SIM-card and Micro-SD, I have researched the firmware I need and am sure that I have the correct one, but ODIN still will not write. I have NOT done anything related to the bootloader or re-partition as I hear that tinkering there could REALLY put me in hot water, though if someone can tell me exactly what needs to be done to them (if anything) then I welcome the information.

Once again, thanks for reading and if you require ANY additional information or screenshots, please reply here and I will respond ASAP!

Porkchops
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Do you have Kies installed on the computer you're trying to flash with? If so, ensure it's not running (kill via Task Manager) and try again perhaps... I had that happen to me when I was in the exact same situation as you and it worked for me ...

If not, try rebooting, kill Kies again, and try again. I've also had that work for me (oddly enough)..

invalidtarget
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
@Porkchops: Thanks for the reply! I have tried re-installing KIES (for the Samsung drivers) and restarted my computer to allow for the drivers to finish the installation. After my computer restarts, I place the USB into a different port on the back of my computer and plug my phone into the cord. At this point windows identifies the device and its port, then I kill KIES through task manager (I have tried both killing KIES before and after plugging my phone into the computer, there doesn't seem to be a difference) and then proceed to open Odin. After Odin is open I then make sure only AUTO-REBOOT and F. RESET TIME are checked before proceeding to place the "Kernel_I9100MUGKG2.tar" (which I got from the forums here, cannot remember the link but I will post it when I find it, and yes my phone model is SPECIFICALLY GT-I9100M from Virgin Mobile).

UPDATE:
After Flashing this kernel, I get as far as I have yet (this is the ONLY KERNEL I HAVE FOUND that will PASS in odin, after doing all of these preparations for the flash) and my phone will load to the boot screen with the /!\ yellow triangle. From here, the phone will still not load however and sits at the Boot logo. After waiting over 20 minutes to see if it does anything else, I attempt to enter Recovery mode (Volume Up + Home + Power) and my phone screen changes to a Battery Charging screen with a frozen loading circle on the battery. This is where I am stuck at currently, however I am attempting to charge my phone as I type this to make sure that I am not getting this screen due to an empty battery!
Will post update if anything happens,
Cheers

IVT

Porkchops
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Unplug your phone then try to get into recovery mode and do a factory reset. Also worth noting if you get a factory recovery mode or CWM... The S2 is nothing but a pain in the ass when the phone is plugged in and you're trying to turn it on

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Even if you can only get to recovery (And provided it's not stock recovery) you could always load a ROM onto your SD card (provided you have a micro SD card reader or something available) and install it from CWM/custom recovery ...
The Following User Says Thank You to Porkchops For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

invalidtarget
Old
(Last edited by invalidtarget; 25th February 2013 at 02:53 AM.) Reason: Empty battery screen when restarting while connected.
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchops View Post
Unplug your phone then try to get into recovery mode and do a factory reset. Also worth noting if you get a factory recovery mode or CWM... The S2 is nothing but a pain in the ass when the phone is plugged in and you're trying to turn it on

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 PM ----------

Even if you can only get to recovery (And provided it's not stock recovery) you could always load a ROM onto your SD card (provided you have a micro SD card reader or something available) and install it from CWM/custom recovery ...
I tried unplugging my phone and entering Recovery Mode though it still only loads to the Samsung Galaxy S II GT-I9100 boot screen with the yellow /!\ triangle. All attempts to enter recovery mode return me to this screen after the phone resets. I have a SD reader, though seeing as I cannot enter Recovery mode at this point, that wont help me yet (though you have a good point about putting the new ROM on it and installing it on the phone that way.) Any idea on how to re-obtain Recovery mode when I can only load as far as the Boot screen?

Thanks for the replies by they way, I appreciate them all.

EDIT: I've found that when trying to restart the phone while connected to a power source (either a wall socket or my computer's USB port) the phone will NOT load the boot logo, and instead loads the image of the empty battery with the frozen loading circle. Not sure if this information is important, but figure'd I would supply as much info as possible.

IVT

Porkchops
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I think your issue might be that your phone is trying to run with a gingerbread kernel and a jelly bean firmware... If the GB kernel was flashed successfully, I would say try flashing a gingerbread firmware and see if you can get that to go.. If that won't work, perhaps try flashing a JB ROM that has a kernel included (the hard part will be finding one that can flash without CWM...

I think at the moment your best bet is to try the mgugk2 firmware though, since you already got the kernel flashed for it, then flash a Cf mgugk2 kernel to get CWM, do a nandroid backup and flash whatever you want through CWM from there
The Following User Says Thank You to Porkchops For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

invalidtarget
Old
(Last edited by invalidtarget; 25th February 2013 at 03:44 AM.) Reason: Flashed CF-Root KG6 version instead of KG2.
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkchops View Post
I think your issue might be that your phone is trying to run with a gingerbread kernel and a jelly bean firmware... If the GB kernel was flashed successfully, I would say try flashing a gingerbread firmware and see if you can get that to go.. If that won't work, perhaps try flashing a JB ROM that has a kernel included (the hard part will be finding one that can flash without CWM...

I think at the moment your best bet is to try the mgugk2 firmware though, since you already got the kernel flashed for it, then flash a Cf mgugk2 kernel to get CWM, do a nandroid backup and flash whatever you want through CWM from there
Thanks for the suggestion! Right now I have the firmware downloaded, however when I try to flash it through ODIN (I'm going to assume I still need to PDA flash it?) Odin FAILS to write, leaving me in the 100% soft-bricked state once again, not even loading to the boot screen until I re-flash the kernel. Suggestions or maybe links to somewhere here that would have the firmware I can use? Or possibly a link to somewhere that has the Kernel+Firmware AIO?

Thanks again,

IVT

UPDATE: I have successfully flashed CF-Root-SGS2_XX_OXA_KG6-v4.1-CWM4.tar in an effort to get CWM working. Im going to assume that the CF-root doesn't have the firmware packaged with it, as even with this flash I still reach the boot logo (though it DOES flash through Odin successfully.) Which firmware should I flash / How should I flash it, as I must be doing SOMETHING wrong to make every firmware flash fail when done through PDA.

Thanks

Porkchops
Old
Thanks Meter 5
That's messed up that it will let you flash kernels without an issue but won't let you flash firmwares... Maybe try re downloading your firmware or run it against the MD5 hash as its possible it may have been corrupted during download. As for firmware, the exact version shouldn't matter as long and you match GB firmware with GB kernel and so on....

gastonw
Old
Thanks Meter 1762
Flash siyah v5 and/or v6 from gokhanmoral.com and see if you can get to recovery.

You might wanna flash another ROM, maybe an I9100 JB ROM.
OMG!!! Just realized I've got an SII Plus! oh...wait...I've got more Internal Space, nevermind, still got an SII.

invalidtarget
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks for the responses.

@Porkchops: Yea tell me about it, I have a feeling its this inability to flash firmware that's giving me the most grief. I have 3 versions of the firmware I need right now, though none of them work. I have tried ICS and JB stock wares, neither to any avail. As of yet the only non-stock / modified software ive been able to flash has been the KG6 CF-Root Kernel, though still no success with ROMs or stock Firmware. Thanks for all of your responses, what would you reccomend I do at this point? Would it be worth looking for an old version of a kernel and an older firmware? (ie should I maybe try to get a GB kernel and firmware running if I cant find a working match of ICS or JB?) Thanks again!

@gastonw: Hey thanks for responding,I dont have a vast knowledge of all this yet so bare with me. Would the Siyah kernel leave me rooted (like the CF-Root Kernels) or would I need to root it after flashing? This wouldnt affect me using it, I just like to know what I'm getting into. Also what ROM would you reccomend pairing with this kernel? Would I simply PDA flash Siyah and PDA flash the ROM after the phone auto-restarts? Thanks again,
Cheers to both of you,
IVT