Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,603 Members 41,185 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: What firmware are you flashing?
Jelly Bean XWLSW (4.1.2) 238 90.84%
Ice Cream Sandwich XWLP7 (4.0.3) 24 9.16%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

[GUIDE][ICS/JB] 26/12 - Flash Stock firmware/ROM + Root & SIM Unlock[AIO]

Tip us?

GamingDj
Old
(Last edited by GamingDj; 26th December 2013 at 05:09 PM.) Reason: New download links!
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 275
Cool [GUIDE][ICS/JB] 26/12 - Flash Stock firmware/ROM + Root & SIM Unlock[AIO]

-Guide For Noobs-
•Flash Stock Samsung JB/ICS firmware/ROM•
•Rooting and SIM Unlocking included•

Samsung Galaxy S II I9100

DISCLAIMER:The following tutorial is for Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 only! This tutorial isn't made for any other Galaxy S2 variants!(No I9100G,Skyrocket,Sprint,T-Mobile or SHW-M250S variants supported.) I am not responsible if you flash the wrong firmware for the wrong device.I repeat,this guide is only for I9100 International Exynos variant.Check your device model under phone's battery!

Part 1: Symptoms/causes

Quote:
If you have any of the following issues,then this guide is for you.You must be able to access Download mode,no matter what is your issue.

• Device not booting.
• Device is stuck in bootloop,and Factory reset doesn't help.
• Can't access recovery.
• Firmware upgrade
• Device behaves strange.
• Want to SIM Unlock
• Want to Root/Unroot phone.
• Want to sell this phone with stock ROM. -Don't root it then!
• Want to return phone/take to service center. -Don't root it then!
• Tired of custom ROMs and want the stock feel.
• Want your phone like it came out of factory.
Part 2: Prerequisites

Quote:
This is a list of things that you (might) need to complete the tutorial correcly.You will find the download links at the end of this post.

• Battery with at least 50% of charging(to avoid shutting down)
• A USB cable to connect phone to PC
• A Windows PC/Laptop with Windows XP/7/8 and Internet connection
• Samsung Mobile Phone Drivers and Odin installed (Download all attachments,extract & install.)
• [OPTIONAL] A USB JIG
• Kies stopped/uninstalled.
• Patience

Part 3: Preparations

Quote:
Choose firmware.Both are SIM unlocked and region/carrier free.Thanks to Sammobile.com for DL link

Ice Cream Sandwich XWLP7 (4.0.3) download :http://terafile.co/c0c8915e6e10/I910...XEULP5_XEU.zip
Jelly Bean XWMS1 (4.1.2) download : http://terafile.co/18c140554ef9/I910...NEELS1_NEE.zip

*NOTE*: After it finished downloading,extract it,so you will have a .tar.md5 file

On your mobile phone!

• Enter Download mode:To do this,press POWER + HOME + VOL DOWN buttons.Then in Download mode press VOL UP to continue.

*NOTE* If that doesn't work,then pull out the battery,start pressing the VOL DOWN button,reinsert battery,and put in the charger.Now it should be in Download mode.If that doesn't work,then use JIG
Part 4: Flashing Firmware

Quote:
On your PC!

1.Open Odin.Make sure "Auto Reboot" and "F.Reset Time" are ticked,but "Re-Partiton" and "Flash Lock" are unticked.

2.Connect the USB cable and wait for the ID:COM section to turn yellow.Also,you should see "Added!" in the message tab.If it doesn't,try changing USB cable/ USB port.

*NOTE*If it still doesn't recognize the phone or you have met any kind of error when flashing,like it couldn't write something,then follow Hopper8's guide :[GUIDE][Troubleshoot a failed Odin flash]

3.Click PDA,and select the extracted JB/ICS firmware file.Do not select any other files like .PIT file.

4.Click Start.Firmware flashing will begin.It will take 5-10 min to flash.DO NOT DISCONNECT DEVICE!!

*NOTE* :Flashing finishes when the box turns green,a message appears and your phone reboots.Now you can disconnect your device.

Part 5: Resetting and finishing

Quote:
1. Enter Recovery: Hold POWER + HOME + VOL UP buttons,until it restarts and shows up the "Galaxy S2 GT-I9100" screen.Now let the buttons go.
2. In recovery(you can navigate with VOL UP/VOL DOWN buttons , and select with POWER button) select "Wipe Data/Factory Reset".

*NOTE*:This will wipe everything from your phone(apps,contacts,messages,etc...your photos and music will stay),but it's neccesarry.Select yes.It will take 3-8 min to wipe.

That's it,you have restored your Galaxy S2!
Part 6: Rooting [OPTIONAL]

Quote:
*NOTE* Rooting your phone will void your warranty! No service center will accept phone if rooted.

To root your phone,download the rooting file,depending on what firmware have you downloaded.This is the best way for rooting,as it doesn't get you the yellow triangle.

Ice Cream Sandwich XWLP7 (4.0.3): http://www.mediafire.com/download/wb...2.7-signed.zip
Jelly Bean XWMS1 (4.1.2): http://d-h.st/030

1.Put the file on your External SD!
2.Reboot into Recovery.
3.In recovery,select "Install update from external storage",and search the downloaded file,and install it.
4.Reboot
Part 6: Rooting
(if you don't have SD Card)

Quote:
You don't have an SD Card? Well,then you will have to go on the hard way.You will have to flash a kernel via Odin.

If JB,then download this file: http://d-h.st/JS5
If ICS,then download this one: http://www.mediafire.com/download/y3...XX-2.7.tar.md5

Do not extract them! Leave them as a .tar.md5.

On your Phone!

• Put your phone into Download Mode! •

On your PC!

1.Open Odin.Make sure "Auto Reboot" and "F.Reset Time" are ticked,but "Re-Partiton" and "Flash Lock" are unticked.

2.Connect the USB cable and wait for the ID:COM section to turn yellow.Also,you should see "Added!" in the message tab.If it doesn't,try changing USB cable/ USB port.

*NOTE*If it still doesn't recognize the phone or you have met any kind of error when flashing,like it couldn't write something,then follow Hopper8's guide :[GUIDE][Troubleshoot a failed Odin flash]

3.Click PDA,and select the freshly downloaded Rooting file.

4.Click Start.Kernel flashing should last only 1 minute.

5.At reboot,your phone will have a yellow triangle.Don't worry.There are 2 ways of making this disappear:

• Insert a USB JIG,which will reset counter
• You will have to get Triangle Away! by Chainfire.You can purchase it from Play Store,too,if you want to support him!

Part 7: SIM Unlock [OPTIONAL]

Quote:
*NOTE* To SIM Unlock your device,use Rooted ICS XWLP7 (4.0.3) firmware!.This is the best firmware for unlocking,as I tested myself.It's working,but please use ICS,not JB.

1.Download this app :[root] Galaxy S2 SIM Unlock by Chainfire and install.
2.Open app,and click "SIM unlock code".
3.It will take a while,but at the end it should find a code.Write it down somewhere!
4.Reboot.At boot,it should ask for unlock code.Simply type the written down code.

Please give me a "Thanks" in case this guide helped you!

Credits
Thanks to Sammobile.com for firmware
Thanks to @gastonw and @immortalneo for helping me with the guide
Thanks to @Phil3759 for his Kernel
Thanks to @Hopper8 for his guide if Odin fails
Thanks to @ Chainfire for his Triangle Away! app
Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 SM-N9005 - 32GB Black
ROM: X-NOTE v14 - KitKat 4.4.2
Kernel: Stock
Recovery: CWM KitKat - Always Latest

Previous Phones: Samsung Galaxy S2 ~ Vodafone Smart ~ Samsung Corby ~ Nokia 2730
The Following 69 Users Say Thank You to GamingDj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gastonw
Old
Thanks Meter 1765
A word of advice, if you're about to post a "guide" do the following:

1) Clear your mind.

2) Make it easy to read & follow.

3) Breakdown a couple of concepts.

4) If you're gonna tell a story (what you did with your device) don't make it sound like a tutorial.

5) Separate steps from troubleshooting.

6) Don't ask the mods to make it a sticked thread, the users will if they found it helpful.

7) Make sure there's no other threads about this subject (......)
8) Ask a senior member / recognized contributor / mode (or someone you TRUST) to read proof what you're about to post.

9) Analyze whether this subject is updated or not (ahem..jelly bean).

10) Add a disclaimer in case someone softbricks a device and you'll be bound to help him out (being responsible for it).

Sent from...this is not even my S2
OMG!!! Just realized I've got an SII Plus! oh...wait...I've got more Internal Space, nevermind, still got an SII.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gastonw For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GamingDj
Old
(Last edited by GamingDj; 22nd August 2013 at 07:09 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 275
Guide updated as of 22/08.Latest drivers and firmware included.

Previous Phones: Samsung Galaxy S2 ~ Vodafone Smart ~ Samsung Corby ~ Nokia 2730
The Following User Says Thank You to GamingDj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

immortalneo
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1608
Thumbs up Good job!

Thanks for a good guide mate! Appreciate your effort!

I think adding a few pictures and/or screenshots would make things more easier to understand for the hardcore newbies (I will post some if I can).

As for enabling USB Debugging mode, I'm of the opinion that its unnecessary while flashing via Odin.

You could also add this line in Part 4 of your guide:
"Connect the USB cable and wait for the ID:COM section to turn yellow (in Odin v1.xx) or blue (in Odin v3.xx)." This is to make sure that Odin can communicate with the device.

P.S. You can also give a warning regarding using PIT files, if you think its relevant. Some members may download firmwares containing PIT files.

Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 | ROM: Omega v23 - XWLSN - 4.1.2 | Theme: Crussader's JB Reloaded v1.07 | Kernel: PhilZ v4.93.6 | Baseband: I9100DDLS9
Life's kinda busy. So you won't be seeing much of me. Still I'm available via PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to immortalneo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GamingDj
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortalneo View Post
Thanks for a good guide mate! Appreciate your effort!

I think adding a few pictures and/or screenshots would make things more easier to understand for the hardcore newbies (I will post some if I can).

As for enabling USB Debugging mode, I'm of the opinion that its unnecessary while flashing via Odin.

You could also add this line in Part 4 of your guide:
"Connect the USB cable and wait for the ID:COM section to turn yellow (in Odin v1.xx) or blue (in Odin v3.xx)." This is to make sure that Odin can communicate with the device.

P.S. You can also give a warning regarding using PIT files, if you think its relevant. Some members may download firmwares containing PIT files.
thanks for the tips...yeah,I wanted ti post photos and screenshots too,but I wasn't in front of my home computer...I'm on vacation and as I had nothing to do,I re-made this guide.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GamingDj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GamingDj
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 275
Guide updated as of 23/08.Minor changes + added photos.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GamingDj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GamingDj
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 275
Guide promoted to sticky on 24/08.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GamingDj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

immortalneo
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1608
Cool Another 2 cents..

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingDj View Post
Guide updated as of 23/08.Minor changes + added photos.
Looking much better mate! Good job again!!

Maybe you could add a link to this excellent troubleshooting guide by @Hopper8:
[GUIDE][Troubleshoot a failed Odin flash]

That way, newbies who have trouble flashing via Odin while following your guide need not search anymore!

Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 | ROM: Omega v23 - XWLSN - 4.1.2 | Theme: Crussader's JB Reloaded v1.07 | Kernel: PhilZ v4.93.6 | Baseband: I9100DDLS9
Life's kinda busy. So you won't be seeing much of me. Still I'm available via PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to immortalneo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GamingDj
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 275
Guide updated as of 25/08.New part : SIM Unock added.Also,made some corrections in guide.

The Following User Says Thank You to GamingDj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

immortalneo
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1608
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamingDj View Post
Guide updated as of 25/08.New part : SIM Unock added.
Nice addition mate! Looks like this guide will soon become an 'All you need to know about flashing' thread!

"To err is human, to forgive is divine."
Sent from my SGS II

Tags
galaxy s2, i9100, root, stock, unlock