Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,363 Members 46,818 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[guide] how to make your own usb jig / reset binary counter / remove yellow triangle

Tip us?

cabloomi
Old
(Last edited by cabloomi; 10th May 2013 at 09:47 AM.)
Account currently disabled - OP
Thanks Meter 391
Angry [guide] how to make your own usb jig / reset binary counter / remove yellow triangle

======READ THIS==READ THIS==READ THIS==READ THIS==READ THIS======
I DO NOT TAKE CREDIT FOR THIS WONDERFUL TUTORIAL, ALL CREDIT TO THIS TUTORIAL GO'S TO GALAXYS2ROOT.COM
I ONLY TAKE CREDIT FOR TAKING THE TIME TO MOVE THIS HERE, SO PLEASE PRESS THE THANKS BUTTON

If you’ve soft bricked your Galaxy S2 (and can’t get into download mode) or you want to reset the ODIN download counter (so no one will no you’ve rooted your Galaxy S2), or you just simply
want to remove the i9100 splash screen, you can make a USB jig to solve all your problems.

What is a USB jig?

USB jig is a simple circuit that allows you to reset the download mode and also get into it for Samsung smartphones (can work on other Samsung phones besides the Galaxy S2) just in case something goes wrong. On a soft brick, this can save your phone as it will enter into download mode. Think of it as a reset switch.

You can buy a USB jig on Amazon for around $6-10 or for about $2, you can make your own. It’s a really simple circuit that involves putting 300K Ohms of resistors between pin 4 and 5 of the microUSB connector.

Here’s how to make your own for $2!

You can order a micro USB cable for $1 on Amazon and pick up 300K resistors for about $1. (or you can use 3 100K resistors in series, which is what I did since Radio Shack didn’t have 300K resistors)

Step 1. Cut the micro USB connector off your micro USB cable.

Step 2. Start taking off the plastic on the side with heavy-duty scissors or knife until you get to the metal bones.

Just cut it all the way until you can access all FIVE pins.

Although every microUSB connector is different, mine had all the pin soldered except for pin 4 (which is shown by the arrow below), this is the pin that’s unused, so it was easy for me to identify. You need to connect a resistor in between this pin 4 and pin 5. Pin 5 is located to the right of pin 4.

Below is what the pins look like for microUSB:

Step 3. You will need resistors, I am using 100K Ohm resistors I bought at Radio Shack.

Step 4. Since the pins are so darn small, it’s going to be rather hard to solder the resistors right onto it. So I got 2 insulated wire pieces and solder them onto the pin 4 and pin 5.

Step 5. Below shows my wires soldered securely onto pin 4 and pin 5.

Step 6. Since I don’t have a 300K Ohm resistor, I am simply going to put three 100K Ohm resistors in series and solder them, this is actually pretty fun to do.

Step 7. Last step is simply soldering the resistor piece onto the wires and voila, USB Jig is done. It took me about 15 minutes at most and I haven’t soldered for around 3 years so not too bad so long as it works. You can make it nicer by putting some hot glue over it then putting it in a case but I like having bare circuits, I can always make new ones if I break it.

Step 8. Below shows my ODIN download count over 400+ on my Epic 4G Touch Galaxy S2. This is before using the USB Jig.

Step 9. I turn the phone off then insert my new USB Jig, hoping that I did it right the first time.

Step 10. After about 3 seconds, my Epic 4G Touch Galaxy S2 boots up by itself to download mode, my “custom binary download” count reset to zero and says “erasing download information succeeded”. Congrats!

Step 11. I reboot the phone and find the i9100 boot splash gone!

Next I used the jig on my AT&T Galaxy S2 and worked fine. This USB Jig works on all Samsung devices that support it.

By resetting your download mode count, you’ve truly erased any history that you’ve rooted your phone.

IF YOUR HAVING ANY TROUBLE EITHER POST YOUR QUESTION HERE
OR CHECK OUT THIS VIDEO
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKRrTZayRxU

THE ORIGINAL POST IS HERE
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1331782
======READ THIS==READ THIS==READ THIS==READ THIS==READ THIS======
I DO NOT TAKE CREDIT FOR THIS WONDERFUL TUTORIAL, ALL CREDIT TO THIS TUTORIAL GO'S TO GALAXYS2ROOT.COM
I ONLY TAKE CREDIT FOR TAKING THE TIME TO MOVE THIS HERE, SO PLEASE PRESS THE THANKS BUTTON
The Following 69 Users Say Thank You to cabloomi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JJEgan
Old
Thanks Meter 4417
Do we not already have a post how to make your own usb jig etc .
Although this one looks better .

jje
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JJEgan For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ZACQ8
Old
Thanks Meter 541

DONATE TO ME
"ZEDOMAX" the founder of the "galaxys2root.com" is already an old member XDA

checkout his contributions : http://forum.xda-developers.com/sear...&starteronly=1
LOVE FOR ALL HATRED FOR NONE

Mine : Ph: SGS4 (OLD BL); ROM: latest SHOStock 4.4.2 + Jeboo's Z-pached Kernel

Wife's : Ph: SXZ1 (6903) Locked BL ROM : NUT's 14.2.A.1.136 [Root & XZDR][LB/UB]
The Following User Says Thank You to ZACQ8 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cabloomi
Old
Thanks Meter 391
THANKS, i worked awhile on it

cabloomi
Old
Thanks Meter 391
oh thanks for telling me, i've got to go send him a apology letter

ZACQ8
Old
Thanks Meter 541

DONATE TO ME
really appreciate your work,

Whats up in IRAQ?
U dint contact me on gtalk...

Wife's : Ph: SXZ1 (6903) Locked BL ROM : NUT's 14.2.A.1.136 [Root & XZDR][LB/UB]
The Following User Says Thank You to ZACQ8 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cabloomi
Old
Thanks Meter 391
im going on right now, hope ur online
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cabloomi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cabloomi
Old
Thanks Meter 391
BUMP!! its a great guide for noobs, that are soft bricked
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cabloomi For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

GuitarJim
Old
Thanks Meter 4
The counter isn't cleared if you have installed 2.3.4 or later as it installs a newer bootloader that closes this loophole.

To reset the binary counter you need to flash the old boot loader here using Odin and then use the jig. I would have thought if a samsung centre saw the old bootloader on a device with 2.3.4 or later that will be an indication the phone has been rooted regardless of binary download count.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GuitarJim For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ZACQ8
Old
Thanks Meter 541

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarJim View Post
I would have thought if a samsung centre saw the old bootloader on a device with 2.3.4 or later that will be an indication the phone has been rooted regardless of binary download count.
Flash back the new bootloader after reseting the counter...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZACQ8 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
binary, how to, jig, splash, yellow triangle