Micromax Yureka: Indian Handset with CyanogenMod

Thesoap opera involving Cyanogen Inc., OnePlus, and Micromax is one of the most talked about … more

Chainfire Turns Your Bootanimation into a Logging Center

Having a nice boot animation certainly adds a little bit of aesthetic polish to your … more

Android TV Launcher Pushed to Google Play

Over the past decade, the tech universe has seen two drastic and widely contrasting changes with … more

Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Why is the headphone output on my handset so low?

OP djbanging

12th June 2011, 11:38 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

8 posts
Can anybody help me work this out? I can't understand why the volume output is so low on my Galaxy S2. At full volume with all the equaliser bands at maximum, i still find music being drowned out by normal street traffic. I've tried several sets of headphones, different music apps and the Volume Boost and Equalizer apps and the result is always the same. As a (completley subjective) mode of reference, my Galaxy S2 with max volume and maximized EQ settings seems to be around 60% of the volume of my old iPhone 3G with normal EQ settings.

I'm having a really difficult time working out if this is just completely subjective and this is actually normal for a Galaxy S2 or if my handset is defective. I don't have access to anybody else with a Galaxy S2 for comparison's sake and it's difficult to rely on opinions on the internet because people's perceptions of what is "loud" vary greatly. So I've got two questions:

1. Is there a way to definitively measure the maximum volume output of my Galaxy S2 and compare against other handsets? I've a sound card with a line in and a minijack-minijack cable so I'm assuming this technically possible with this equipment. Does anybody else with a Galaxy S2 have figures I can compare mine wth?

2. I'm in the EU. I've read that EU restrictions have been planned to restrict maximum headphone volumes on PMPs but I can't find anything saying that these have actually been implemented. If they have, I assume they can be bypassed by fiddling around in ServiceMode or by installing custom ROMs. Can anybody point me in the right direction of how to do this?

Sorry if this is a little bit nooby - this is actually driving me completely bonkers because I can't work out if it's all just in my head when nobody else I see on here seems to think this is an issue! Thanks.
13th June 2011, 12:55 AM   |  #2  
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 95

605 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbanging

Can anybody help me work this out? I can't understand why the volume output is so low on my Galaxy S2. At full volume with all the equaliser bands at maximum, i still find music being drowned out by normal street traffic. I've tried several sets of headphones, different music apps and the Volume Boost and Equalizer apps and the result is always the same. As a (completley subjective) mode of reference, my Galaxy S2 with max volume and maximized EQ settings seems to be around 60% of the volume of my old iPhone 3G with normal EQ settings.

I'm having a really difficult time working out if this is just completely subjective and this is actually normal for a Galaxy S2 or if my handset is defective. I don't have access to anybody else with a Galaxy S2 for comparison's sake and it's difficult to rely on opinions on the internet because people's perceptions of what is "loud" vary greatly. So I've got two questions:

1. Is there a way to definitively measure the maximum volume output of my Galaxy S2 and compare against other handsets? I've a sound card with a line in and a minijack-minijack cable so I'm assuming this technically possible with this equipment. Does anybody else with a Galaxy S2 have figures I can compare mine wth?

2. I'm in the EU. I've read that EU restrictions have been planned to restrict maximum headphone volumes on PMPs but I can't find anything saying that these have actually been implemented. If they have, I assume they can be bypassed by fiddling around in ServiceMode or by installing custom ROMs. Can anybody point me in the right direction of how to do this?

Sorry if this is a little bit nooby - this is actually driving me completely bonkers because I can't work out if it's all just in my head when nobody else I see on here seems to think this is an issue! Thanks.

i have a easy solution for u... visit your GP or simply clean your ears..if thats wont work then come back. - just a funny recipe - dont take it personaly.

there is no restriction as far as i know. and my headset is extremly loud, so it may be only you or simple fault of your device. check out other headset (headphones) and if there will be problem u may found few programs on android market...

Audiomanager
Volume Master
Sound Manager
Spark Audio Profiles

and much more mate. i hope u will find a solution for u....
13th June 2011, 02:38 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 4

27 posts
The EU volume restrictions have definitely been implemented, at least on the Sandisk Sansa Clip+. If you select Europe as your region on that device you get a fraction of the volume you would for other regions.

I'm unsure if that's what's going on with the SGSII though. I agree the volume isn't the best but I don't find it terrible. I only find it a problem when music/videos have a low volume to begin with, in those cases it would really benefit from a gain setting.

You might want to check the audio hardware analysis thread in the general section. There might be an explanation in it. In the meantime if it's bothering you, and you don't want to send back the phone, you could buy a portable headphone amp. I use the Fiio E5 with my PC which has dismal volume. It's 14.11 on Amazon.
The Following User Says Thank You to Serav For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th June 2011, 05:54 AM   |  #4  
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 396

5,581 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbanging

Its the same for many other galaxy s2 owners, many threads complaining about this issue, not much you can do. Samsung dropped the ball on the audio side for this device.
The Following User Says Thank You to RogerPodacter For This Useful Post: [ View ]
13th June 2011, 02:20 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

8 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerPodacter

Its the same for many other galaxy s2 owners, many threads complaining about this issue, not much you can do. Samsung dropped the ball on the audio side for this device.

Thanks for the info but I can't really find any threads from people complaining about media volume - it just seems to be people complaining about in-call volume which I believe is defined separately, right? (If you could point me in the direction of these threads I'd really appreciate it). From what I've read on here, others have no problems with their SGS2 audio volume - see here for example. If my handset is defective there is something I can do - return it and demand a replacement.

I ran Right Mark Audio Analyser using a test signal - do these results look normal?
13th June 2011, 05:22 PM   |  #6  
Flag Los Angeles, CA
Thanks Meter: 396

5,581 posts
multiple people in this thread claim low music volume thru headphones (the preliminary audio thread):
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1053978

and then there are multiple random short threads where people say they cant listen to music because street noise bleeds in and the volume doesnt go loud enough. sorry i dont have those links, but i've read it just in the last few days, plus over the last month or so. i dont know the terms to search for those posts, but i did just read one about 2 days ago.
13th June 2011, 08:51 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 6

89 posts
I was going to mention this today,
I'm using poweramp and dsp manager.
no improvements
13th June 2011, 09:50 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 5

62 posts
Just thought i'd mention that studio headphones require more juice to run compared to in ear plugs. I'm not sure what kind of headphones you're using but if you're using big fat studio headphones you might wanna try smaller in ear's to see if that is an improvement. Just my two cents.
13th June 2011, 09:50 PM   |  #9  
Flag Bristol
Thanks Meter: 16

390 posts
More
I have my volume on Media set to 15 (max) when listening to music/video.

I have Sony in the ear headphones too, and it is fairly loud, but not as loud as I like it to be.

This reminds me of my iPod touch which was set to 83% of its maximum output thanks to the bloody EU (because of French). Luckily jailbreaking it and editing the file that restricted it sorted the issue out.

Lets hope that a similar hack occurs soon here.
9th July 2011, 06:25 PM   |  #10  

21 posts
I have the same problem too..audio is very very low when using headphones....has anything been done to this effect?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread