5,593,248 Members 32,381 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Tip us?
 
ExPLO88
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Jan 2011
Default Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hello,


I own a Samsung Galaxy S2, running android version 4.1.2 (unrooted). I never had an external SD card inserted therefore the problem below is related to internal storage on the phone.



I recently plugged my phone under USB mass storage mode onto a laptop that prompts me to encrypt external USB storage devices. I accidently clicked “enter” to encrypt, but immediately – within seconds – unplugged the USB wire from the computer.

I now get a notification on my phone that says “Damaged USB Storage – USB Storage is damaged. Try reformatting.”

Storage does not recognise my internal storage at all. (see image attached)

Trying to connect via USB mass storage to PC does not work. (see image attached)



Other thoughts: The drive never got encrypted (99% sure). I think the problem may have happened because I removed the USB while it was in some operation.



What I’ve tried so far, and failed:

Connecting via USB mass storage to PC.

Connecting via USB debugging.

Tried both above options in Safe Mode and regular mode.

Tried to re-encrypt/decrypt the drive (computer doesn’t even recognise anything to encrypt/decrypt).

Tried to check disk for errors using chkdsk in command prompt on PC. It says “Cannot open volume for direct access”



What I would like is to recover my data from the internal storage on my phone. I haven’t tried formatting as my main goal is to recover the data first.



Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1388606328237.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	241.5 KB
ID:	2488059   Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1388606343934.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	2488060  
 
thuva06
Old
#2  
thuva06's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 23
Posts: 119
Join Date: Nov 2013
well most people commit this mistake!

1. If you had mistakenly clicked enter you should have let it do its work and when it was done you could have reverted back with easy steps mate.
2. I personally had this kinda problem (not coz of encrypt prob)
3. You've mentioned that loosing data is not your mail goal. but after all these you must sacrifice something to get your storage back.
4. Since your are unrooted got to sock recovery (volume up + home + power) and do a factory reset and clear the cache (you'll loose all your apps but 90% CHANCE THAT YOU WONT LOOSE YOUR PERSONAL DATA 10% CHANCES THAT YOU MAY LOOSE.
5. Since your external is working you can always backup your apps with TB (titanium backup)
6. And yes this helped me fix this problem.
7. Incase if the problem still exists we'll think of another solution
The Following User Says Thank You to thuva06 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
ExPLO88
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Jan 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by thuva06 View Post
well most people commit this mistake!

1. If you had mistakenly clicked enter you should have let it do its work and when it was done you could have reverted back with easy steps mate.
2. I personally had this kinda problem (not coz of encrypt prob)
3. You've mentioned that loosing data is not your mail goal. but after all these you must sacrifice something to get your storage back.
4. Since your are unrooted got to sock recovery (volume up + home + power) and do a factory reset and clear the cache (you'll loose all your apps but 90% CHANCE THAT YOU WONT LOOSE YOUR PERSONAL DATA 10% CHANCES THAT YOU MAY LOOSE.
5. Since your external is working you can always backup your apps with TB (titanium backup)
6. And yes this helped me fix this problem.
7. Incase if the problem still exists we'll think of another solution
Thanks for the response!
And yea, in hindsight I regret removing the USB on impulse like that! I should have let it finish the encryption.

I'll definitely give this a try later on today. I know when I reset my phone - sometimes the data is wiped, but sometimes it isn't. It's totally worth a shot.

I'll keep you updated on what happens.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes