Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,810,941 Members 38,681 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Weak GPS signal : hardware fix ?

Tip us?

Lwysiwyg
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Unhappy [Q] Weak GPS signal : hardware fix ?

Hello there,

I'm facing some troubles using my GPS (i9100P). I think it's a hardware issue since I already tested different kernels / ROM and tried multiple GPS tools without big changes. I just successfully improved the quickness of the fix.

For now, fix is just awesome : 10 satellites fixed in 3-4s. The issue is related to the weakness of the signal. It can be lost when driving near a truck, a bridge or small buildings. Using "GPS test" software outdoor in a clear view, SNR is about 25-30 for the best satellites. I think it's weak !

Do you think it's a hardware issue (probably my GPS module ending its life) ? Which part should I change ? I think it's the module including speaker but I'm not sure :
http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/148/3...330148_718.jpg

Hope someone can help me to fix that issue ! Thanks

bhavstech
Old
Thanks Meter 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwysiwyg View Post
Hello there,

I'm facing some troubles using my GPS (i9100P). I think it's a hardware issue since I already tested different kernels / ROM and tried multiple GPS tools without big changes. I just successfully improved the quickness of the fix.

For now, fix is just awesome : 10 satellites fixed in 3-4s. The issue is related to the weakness of the signal. It can be lost when driving near a truck, a bridge or small buildings. Using "GPS test" software outdoor in a clear view, SNR is about 25-30 for the best satellites. I think it's weak !

Do you think it's a hardware issue (probably my GPS module ending its life) ? Which part should I change ? I think it's the module including speaker but I'm not sure :
http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/148/3...330148_718.jpg

Hope someone can help me to fix that issue ! Thanks
chk on stock rom or else it is a n hardware issue
If i helped you ,you know where the Thanks button is!

Lwysiwyg
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavstech View Post
chk on stock rom or else it is a n hardware issue
Clean install made using Odin : repartition / full wipe, XXKI3/XXLPX install, but same issue with GPS. I really think it's a hardware issue.

bhavstech
Old
Thanks Meter 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwysiwyg View Post
Clean install made using Odin : repartition / full wipe, XXKI3/XXLPX install, but same issue with GPS. I really think it's a hardware issue.
show in service centre
If i helped you ,you know where the Thanks button is!

Lwysiwyg
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavstech View Post
show in service centre
I don't have service center near home / work :-s.

If my S2 needs to be repaired, I will probably do it myself. That's why I need to know what part to change. Since phone's value is near 100, I don't want to repair it if that costs more than 20-30.

Anyone knows which part of the phone integrate GPS module ?

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3,206
You need the service manuals; they've been posted here from time to time - do an XDA search (or a Google search with XDA appended to your search terms), or a Google search should find them easily enough on other sites.

You could also take it to any local mobile repair shop, it doesn't have to be a Samsung service centre who does the repair.
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Lwysiwyg
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Got it ! Thanks

I learned that speaker part integrates antenna, and GPS receiver is fixed on motherboard ! It seems to be hard to change GPS receiver without equipment (and experience !).

Will check if speaker part seems good (removing / cleaning it), then checking / cleaning GPS receiver part. Hope this will solve my issue.

I found a local mobile repair shop near my home. I asked it how much it will cost... waiting for the answer
The Following User Says Thank You to Lwysiwyg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3,206
Yeah it can be tricky to replace parts like that if you don't have experience. Good luck, let us know how you get on in this thread.
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?

Lwysiwyg
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle View Post
Yeah it can be tricky to replace parts like that if you don't have experience. Good luck, let us know how you get on in this thread.
This week-end, I cleaned my i9100p hardware but nothing changed ! I noticed that without HP/antenna part, I can't fix GSM nor GPS signal. This part seems to be the heart of the signal reception. I plan to change it as soon as possible. This morning, I ordered HP/antenna part :
http://www.htcn.fr/pieces-detachees-...-sonnerie.html

I don't know if this will solve my issue, but I really hope for it !

Someone in a french forum explained me a way to improve GPS signal. This seems to be really easy to do. I will try it tonight and test it tomorrow
http://galaxys-team.fr/viewtopic.php...634046#p634044

More news tomorrow !
The Following User Says Thank You to Lwysiwyg For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3,206
Keep posting your progress, this thread is going to be a really useful reference for people in future once you've fixed it