Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Unhappy [Q] Weak GPS signal : hardware fix ?

OP Lwysiwyg

18th March 2014, 11:30 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Nancy
Thanks Meter: 9
 
35 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
Hello there,

I'm facing some troubles using my GPS (i9100P). I think it's a hardware issue since I already tested different kernels / ROM and tried multiple GPS tools without big changes. I just successfully improved the quickness of the fix.

For now, fix is just awesome : 10 satellites fixed in 3-4s. The issue is related to the weakness of the signal. It can be lost when driving near a truck, a bridge or small buildings. Using "GPS test" software outdoor in a clear view, SNR is about 25-30 for the best satellites. I think it's weak !

Do you think it's a hardware issue (probably my GPS module ending its life) ? Which part should I change ? I think it's the module including speaker but I'm not sure :
http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/148/3...330148_718.jpg

Hope someone can help me to fix that issue ! Thanks
18th March 2014, 06:25 PM   |  #2  
bhavstech's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 290
 
919 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwysiwyg

Hello there,

I'm facing some troubles using my GPS (i9100P). I think it's a hardware issue since I already tested different kernels / ROM and tried multiple GPS tools without big changes. I just successfully improved the quickness of the fix.

For now, fix is just awesome : 10 satellites fixed in 3-4s. The issue is related to the weakness of the signal. It can be lost when driving near a truck, a bridge or small buildings. Using "GPS test" software outdoor in a clear view, SNR is about 25-30 for the best satellites. I think it's weak !

Do you think it's a hardware issue (probably my GPS module ending its life) ? Which part should I change ? I think it's the module including speaker but I'm not sure :
http://i01.i.aliimg.com/img/pb/148/3...330148_718.jpg

Hope someone can help me to fix that issue ! Thanks

chk on stock rom or else it is a n hardware issue
19th March 2014, 02:49 PM   |  #3  
OP Member
Flag Nancy
Thanks Meter: 9
 
35 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavstech

chk on stock rom or else it is a n hardware issue

Clean install made using Odin : repartition / full wipe, XXKI3/XXLPX install, but same issue with GPS. I really think it's a hardware issue.
19th March 2014, 02:50 PM   |  #4  
bhavstech's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 290
 
919 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2013
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwysiwyg

Clean install made using Odin : repartition / full wipe, XXKI3/XXLPX install, but same issue with GPS. I really think it's a hardware issue.

show in service centre
20th March 2014, 12:22 PM   |  #5  
OP Member
Flag Nancy
Thanks Meter: 9
 
35 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavstech

show in service centre

I don't have service center near home / work :-s.

If my S2 needs to be repaired, I will probably do it myself. That's why I need to know what part to change. Since phone's value is near 100, I don't want to repair it if that costs more than 20-30.

Anyone knows which part of the phone integrate GPS module ?
20th March 2014, 12:47 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3,208
 
7,088 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
You need the service manuals; they've been posted here from time to time - do an XDA search (or a Google search with XDA appended to your search terms), or a Google search should find them easily enough on other sites.

You could also take it to any local mobile repair shop, it doesn't have to be a Samsung service centre who does the repair.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th March 2014, 03:45 PM   |  #7  
OP Member
Flag Nancy
Thanks Meter: 9
 
35 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
Got it ! Thanks

I learned that speaker part integrates antenna, and GPS receiver is fixed on motherboard ! It seems to be hard to change GPS receiver without equipment (and experience !).

Will check if speaker part seems good (removing / cleaning it), then checking / cleaning GPS receiver part. Hope this will solve my issue.

I found a local mobile repair shop near my home. I asked it how much it will cost... waiting for the answer
The Following User Says Thank You to Lwysiwyg For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th March 2014, 05:18 PM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3,208
 
7,088 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
Yeah it can be tricky to replace parts like that if you don't have experience. Good luck, let us know how you get on in this thread.
24th March 2014, 11:16 AM   |  #9  
OP Member
Flag Nancy
Thanks Meter: 9
 
35 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle

Yeah it can be tricky to replace parts like that if you don't have experience. Good luck, let us know how you get on in this thread.

This week-end, I cleaned my i9100p hardware but nothing changed ! I noticed that without HP/antenna part, I can't fix GSM nor GPS signal. This part seems to be the heart of the signal reception. I plan to change it as soon as possible. This morning, I ordered HP/antenna part :
http://www.htcn.fr/pieces-detachees-...-sonnerie.html

I don't know if this will solve my issue, but I really hope for it !

Someone in a french forum explained me a way to improve GPS signal. This seems to be really easy to do. I will try it tonight and test it tomorrow
http://galaxys-team.fr/viewtopic.php...634046#p634044

More news tomorrow !
The Following User Says Thank You to Lwysiwyg For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th March 2014, 11:30 AM   |  #10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 3,208
 
7,088 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
Keep posting your progress, this thread is going to be a really useful reference for people in future once you've fixed it

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes