Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,576 Members 38,328 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How does one know this is all save and not NSA related?

Tip us?

JJSJJS
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Question [Q] How does one know this is all save and not NSA related?

Hi,

with all media attention related to NSA spy activities.
How does one know this all happening here is not related to NSA activities?
If i'm correct the bloatware a provider installs when you bought it gives nsa access or gives provider unwanted access.

Maybe i'm thinking too much, but even NSA could bring out a rom which looks great and so and you think it's save and not accessing your private details, mic or camera.

Just a thought i had.

(on duckduckgo.com there was this advertising for save internet and cyanomod, thatss how i came here)

Thanks !

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3,206
Have you been abusing ice or something ?
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JJSJJS
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
haha no, just curious that's all. As you know google ain't clean either in terms of privacy. And Android is Google.....

But no, i like what's happening here, it was just a thought.

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3,206
Alright...

Intelligence agencies can already essentially look at whatever they want whenever they want via direct access to all networks. They can break a lot of encryption. Most operating systems (whether phone/PC/whatever) either have some NSA designed bits (I.E SELinux) or 'backdoors' which enable them to access even the most tightly 'locked up' systems.

I very much doubt they need to release a bit of 'crapware' or an OS of their own given the above. Though I can imagine in certain cases they custom design an exploit for a particular individual or organisation they want keep tabs on, but I can't imagine they'd want to do it to ordinary phone users en masse in the manner you suggested.

They already 'passively' surveil just about everyone (I.E collect all data but tend not to look at it unless they need to), so they don't need to do what you mentioned.
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
The Following User Says Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

droidbaker
Old
Thanks Meter 1
In my view opensource system has an advantage that you can check the source code yourself for a potential backdoor.
Most of the ROMs here are opensource so you can download, check, compile and install.

However you do not have 100% opensource devices - you have for example radio drivers which we just trust they will send data to correct receiver and in correct format...

I don't think it is proven SELINUX introduces backdoor or was it? If yes, I'm very interested to see it.
The Following User Says Thank You to droidbaker For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3,206
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security-Enhanced_Linux. Everything is backdoored.

JJSJJS
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle View Post
Alright...

Intelligence agencies can already essentially look at whatever they want whenever they want via direct access to all networks. They can break a lot of encryption. Most operating systems (whether phone/PC/whatever) either have some NSA designed bits (I.E SELinux) or 'backdoors' which enable them to access even the most tightly 'locked up' systems.

I very much doubt they need to release a bit of 'crapware' or an OS of their own given the above. Though I can imagine in certain cases they custom design an exploit for a particular individual or organisation they want keep tabs on, but I can't imagine they'd want to do it to ordinary phone users en masse in the manner you suggested.

They already 'passively' surveil just about everyone (I.E collect all data but tend not to look at it unless they need to), so they don't need to do what you mentioned.
yes you're right. it totaaly agree.
thanks a lot for your answer.

droidbaker
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle View Post
Everything is backdoored.
I checked Wikipedia SELinux Entry. I remember Linus's nodding, however there is no hint it was with relation of SELinux.
I found another discussion on this topic and I agree with the point that "It would be singularly dumb of them to inject backdoors in their own name."
Time will show.

Anyway - if you do not trust it, you can turn it off completely or use an alternative - AppArmor - which does not come from NSA.