Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,540 Members 38,298 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How do I get into recovery mode without a working home button?

Tip us?

bob7770699
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default How do I get into recovery mode without a working home button?

The three button method doesnt work b/c my home button is dead. Is there anyway to enter recovery mode from a pc?

I have cwm installed, rooted, everything...stuck while booting up after I flashed a mod, can't enter recovery mode without home button

ctomgee
Old
Thanks Meter 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob7770699 View Post
The three button method doesnt work b/c my home button is dead. Is there anyway to enter recovery mode from a pc?

I have cwm installed, rooted, everything...stuck while booting up after I flashed a mod, can't enter recovery mode without home button
Plugging into your computer and typing "adb reboot recovery" should work. Also, I think there are apps on the market that can reboot the phone to recovery.

Do you have the CWM manager app? That also has an option to reboot to recovery.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA
I never wanted to have a signature, but it seems I must. Please do not PM me directly for technical support. I mean it! No exceptions! Thank you.

Everyone (esPECIALLY n00bs) should read this.

cdzo72
Old
Thanks Meter 775

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctomgee View Post
Plugging into your computer and typing "adb reboot recovery" should work. Also, I think there are apps on the market that can reboot the phone to recovery.

Do you have the CWM manager app? That also has an option to reboot to recovery.

That works but I think you have to load the recovery into memory first...

I soft bricked an LG p506 about a month ago and while looking for a way to do the same thing I found the instructions, a quick google search should put you in the right direction

HP TouchPad 32gb
Unofficial CM11

Samsung Galaxy S IV i9505 - Omega ROM v30 NE5
Ktoonsez Kernel

AcmE85
Old
Thanks Meter 163
A sure thing is to boot to download mode with USB jig, then flash a completely new rom with Odin.

ctomgee
Old
Thanks Meter 903
OP, I noticed you have a couple posts regarding being on AT&T's network. Are you sure you have an i9100, and not an AT&T variant, which is the SGH-I777? Or if you DO have an i9100, that you didn't flash a firmware meant for the SGH-I777? The most common reason I've seen for a non-functioning home button is flashing the wrong firmware.

I never wanted to have a signature, but it seems I must. Please do not PM me directly for technical support. I mean it! No exceptions! Thank you.

Everyone (esPECIALLY n00bs) should read this.

TheATHEiST
Old
Thanks Meter 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdzo72 View Post
That works but I think you have to load the recovery into memory first...

I soft bricked an LG p506 about a month ago and while looking for a way to do the same thing I found the instructions, a quick google search should put you in the right direction

There is no such thing as a "soft brick" , Your device is either bricked or it isnt. The term "brick" is used far too loosely nowadays.
Phone:
Galaxy Note II | CM11 (Unofficial)

Tablet
Nexus 7 | CM 10.2

Smartphone History:
HTC Touch > HTC Universal > HTC Touch HD > HTC HD2 > iPhone 4S > Samsung Galaxy S2 > Samsung Galaxy Note II

Tablet History:
Galaxy Tab 7.0 > iPad3 > Nexus 7

D3_
Old
Thanks Meter 412
In some custom roms you can have a "reboot to recovery" option in the power menu (when you press the home button for 2 seconds or so)
Or, you can download an android terminal emulator and type "reboot recovery" into it (after giving it superuser permissions by typing in "su").

bob7770699
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
yeah i have an i9100. The problem is i went swimming with it a couple weeks back, and the home button (and mic + earset) doesnt work anymore. I was running checkRom on it and was flashing a mod thru the kitchen app, and now when it boots it says phone has stopped working and won't let me get past that.

So i cant use any soft buttons to get into recovery. I cant use the three button method. and I've tried the adb reboot recovery, wont work.

bob7770699
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I can get into download mode though, so is my only option is to flash a rom via odin and hope that fc gets fixed?

D3_
Old
Thanks Meter 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob7770699 View Post
I've tried the adb reboot recovery, wont work.
Did you try using a terminal emulator on the phone itself? Just "reboot recovery", not "adb reboot recovery". (Remember you have to give the app SU permissions first, if it doesn't request them on its own type in "su" and the do the "reboot recovery" command)