FORUMS

XDA Recap: This Week In Android (May 17 – 23)

Another week, another recap. The Sunday tradition marches on this week with a fresh … more

Huawei To Sell Honor Smartphones Via Indian Retail Outlets

World’s fourth largest smartphone maker Huawei plans to now sell its … more

Sunday Debate: Are Smaller Bezels Better or Worth It?

Bezels have been getting smaller and smaller as the years go by, and while devices … more

LG G4 First Impressions and Unboxing – XDA TV

The latest in LG’s signature line of “G phones” has been released. … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

How do I get into recovery mode without a working home button?

4th March 2012, 09:21 PM |#1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
The three button method doesnt work b/c my home button is dead. Is there anyway to enter recovery mode from a pc?

I have cwm installed, rooted, everything...stuck while booting up after I flashed a mod, can't enter recovery mode without home button
 
 
4th March 2012, 09:26 PM |#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 906
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob7770699

The three button method doesnt work b/c my home button is dead. Is there anyway to enter recovery mode from a pc?

I have cwm installed, rooted, everything...stuck while booting up after I flashed a mod, can't enter recovery mode without home button

Plugging into your computer and typing "adb reboot recovery" should work. Also, I think there are apps on the market that can reboot the phone to recovery.

Do you have the CWM manager app? That also has an option to reboot to recovery.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA
4th March 2012, 10:44 PM |#3  
Senior Member
Flag Heredia
Thanks Meter: 913
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctomgee

Plugging into your computer and typing "adb reboot recovery" should work. Also, I think there are apps on the market that can reboot the phone to recovery.

Do you have the CWM manager app? That also has an option to reboot to recovery.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA

That works but I think you have to load the recovery into memory first...

I soft bricked an LG p506 about a month ago and while looking for a way to do the same thing I found the instructions, a quick google search should put you in the right direction
4th March 2012, 10:47 PM |#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 439
 
More
A sure thing is to boot to download mode with USB jig, then flash a completely new rom with Odin.
4th March 2012, 11:26 PM |#5  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 906
 
More
OP, I noticed you have a couple posts regarding being on AT&T's network. Are you sure you have an i9100, and not an AT&T variant, which is the SGH-I777? Or if you DO have an i9100, that you didn't flash a firmware meant for the SGH-I777? The most common reason I've seen for a non-functioning home button is flashing the wrong firmware.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA
4th March 2012, 11:45 PM |#6  
TheATHEiST's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Hull
Thanks Meter: 919
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdzo72

That works but I think you have to load the recovery into memory first...

I soft bricked an LG p506 about a month ago and while looking for a way to do the same thing I found the instructions, a quick google search should put you in the right direction


There is no such thing as a "soft brick" , Your device is either bricked or it isnt. The term "brick" is used far too loosely nowadays.
4th March 2012, 11:51 PM |#7  
Senior Member
London
Thanks Meter: 413
 
More
In some custom roms you can have a "reboot to recovery" option in the power menu (when you press the home button for 2 seconds or so)
Or, you can download an android terminal emulator and type "reboot recovery" into it (after giving it superuser permissions by typing in "su").
5th March 2012, 12:12 AM |#8  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
yeah i have an i9100. The problem is i went swimming with it a couple weeks back, and the home button (and mic + earset) doesnt work anymore. I was running checkRom on it and was flashing a mod thru the kitchen app, and now when it boots it says phone has stopped working and won't let me get past that.

So i cant use any soft buttons to get into recovery. I cant use the three button method. and I've tried the adb reboot recovery, wont work.
5th March 2012, 12:13 AM |#9  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
I can get into download mode though, so is my only option is to flash a rom via odin and hope that fc gets fixed?
5th March 2012, 12:27 AM |#10  
Senior Member
London
Thanks Meter: 413
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob7770699

I've tried the adb reboot recovery, wont work.

Did you try using a terminal emulator on the phone itself? Just "reboot recovery", not "adb reboot recovery". (Remember you have to give the app SU permissions first, if it doesn't request them on its own type in "su" and the do the "reboot recovery" command)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes