Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,355 Members 39,048 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Phone loses signal and cannot reconnect to network

Tip us?

the_psycho
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question Phone loses signal and cannot reconnect to network

Hi guys,

I wanted to post this in the development thread but since I'm new in here this wouldn't happen

So, here's the problem - my Samsung I9100 phone loses signal and cannot reconnect to the network unless rebooted. You can see the kernel and ROM state from the screenshot.
Every now and then the phone loses signal and unsuccessfully tries to reconnect to the network. I cannot make outgoing calls but am able to receive incoming (but only sometimes, in some cases it wouldn't receive incoming neither). Only a reboot solves the issue but this loss of signal happens at least several times a day and this is quite irritating.
Other problem is when the phone is at a state of no signal, it writes some logs in the system partition in \data\logs which quickly take up all the free memory.

I've been using this ROM since v 3.7. I've updated it twice to get to v 3.91. Through all the releases the issue persisted. I haven't had these problems with other ROMs.
I read somewhere in here that this might be a problem with misplaced or worn-out SIM card. So I put the same SIM in my old Nokia phone and tested for several days - no loss of signal observed in that period.

So any help or advise would be appreciated.
Could this be a ROM issue or a hardware problem? Maybe a kernel problem?
Would be glad if more advanced users give some ideas.

That's it for now, if you got any questions regarding the problem or I missed some information let me know.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-03-17-12-30-54.jpg
Views:	884
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	1811568  
The Following User Says Thank You to the_psycho For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gaosphappy
Old
Thanks Meter 2438
Could it be this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ht=signal+loss
or this http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...ht=signal+loss
Everything Samsung Galaxy S2
If I Helped Hit THANKS,If I Didn't Hit Me And Thank The Person Who Did.

Everything Nexus 5
The Following User Says Thank You to gaosphappy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RedShift1
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Have you tried other modem firmwares?
The Following User Says Thank You to RedShift1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

the_psycho
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
OK, seems like the easiest solution is to just change the modem...

I changed it to XXKI4 from this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1277593

I'm starting to monitor whether the problem will reoccur.....

tomtomty
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Hi have you solved the problem, as I'm having the same problem ?

the_psycho
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
hi

when I changed the modem to XXKI4 I experienced the same issue almost immediately after reboot....
then I flashed XXLPX (on random), rebooted again. Since then no problems observed, signal strength is high and 3G speeds are OK....

will keep monitoring for several more days and update you on the issue (I'd be really glad if this simple fix solves it )

PsyOr
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_psycho View Post
hi

when I changed the modem to XXKI4 I experienced the same issue almost immediately after reboot....
then I flashed XXLPX (on random), rebooted again. Since then no problems observed, signal strength is high and 3G speeds are OK....

will keep monitoring for several more days and update you on the issue (I'd be really glad if this simple fix solves it )
Hey, having the same issue... Anything new with this modem?

I've got signal lost almost every day, sometimes few times a day, every few days the signal drops and not back (when I'm clicking on 'mobile networks' I've got the message: "insert sim card - insert sim card to access network services") and only reboot fix this problem (airplane does nothing).
Tried to clean the SIM card, the sim housing, Its not happening in specific place...
I know people who have this issue and uses a different ROMs/Kernels/Modems ROOT/NO ROOT...heres a little list:
Im using right now STOCK 4.0.3 LPG, modem: LQ6 with Siyah kernel 3.4.1
Others using other stock 4.0.3 / 4.0.4 with modems: JHLP9, LPS, ...

Someone mention [not here] about lpx modem that fix it...
If someone else tried it would be great if you share.
thanks!

awojtas
Old
Thanks Meter 26
I had this issue and replaced my battery with another genuine original battery which fixed it totally.

PsyOr
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by awojtas View Post
I had this issue and replaced my battery with another genuine original battery which fixed it totally.
Well, sounds weird...I doubt if its the battery... how long you using the new battery? sometimes its just comes and goes....

PsyOr
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Exclamation Signal lost - log screenshot

Ok, I took a screenshot from alogcat at the same time I've lost the signal... (I export the whole log but seems this app is not that smart and its export only after the signal lost so its irrelevant)

At screenshot - only the 'error messages'

Can anyone analyze this error messages? why is it happens?
Suddenly the signal lost sometimes while call sometimes not, at this time I had to reset the device to get the signal back (its happens once per few days), sometimes its lost and back after ~1 minute...

Don't know if this device has a problem (all the problems that i've heard are from this device, no matter what modem each one use) or its something else....

Would like for some help with this log, and the guy who tried the LPX modem - if its works fine now....

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2013-04-10-09-27-37.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1871946