[HOW TO] Guide to update/root from Bell/Virgin Mobile KG2 (2.3.3) to XWKK5 (2.3.6)
I made this thread because I wanted to make a guide of my own to update your Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100. I'm with Virgin Mobile, so I can confirm this work fine. You wont lose any of yours data, apps.
I experienced a better battery lifetime, better signal reception, gps, etc.
I put together many different guide to make things easier for new users.
All guides here are from XDA developers. I don't take any credits for them.
First you need Samsung Kies if you don't already have it. This is only to get the driver for your phone. Plug in your phone with usb cable and wait for the peripheral to get recognize.
After this close Kies and kill any process named Kies in your task manager.
or french version
Take your phone; hit parameter, applications, developement and check usb debog and fictitious position ( sorry my phone is in french not sure how its called in english, just check both option). You have to uncheck them if you want to transfer files on your phone like you do normally.
Now you need :
Get Odin v1.85 from here: http://www.multiupload.com/1RTGSE061G
Scroll down the page
This package has: PDA: XWKK5| Modem/phone: XXKI3| CSC: XEUKH2
XWKK5 Stock Kernel: http://www.multiupload.com/HK8G4YGXWJ
CF-Root-SGS2_XW_OXA_KK5-v5.0-CWM5.zip - [Click for QR Code] (6.46 MB, 24575 views)
The stock kernels are to be used to restore the kernel version after rooting and are not needed for updating the firmware.
You do not need to root or unroot the device to update the firmware.
Please ensure that KIES is closed and not running in the system tray! Kies doesn't like Odin, it's like the big brother who's always jealous that his little brother is getting to flash all the phones so he starts to flash block.
Flashing Firmware with Odin
1. Just download the firmware version you want from the second or third posts and extract the .tar or .tar.md5 file in the archive and save it somewhere
2. Reboot your phone to download mode.
To get download mode shut down the device. After it shuts off completely simultaneously press the Down volume key+ Home button + press the power button .
You should see a warning asking you to press volume up if you want to continue or volume down to cancel, press volume up. You are now in download mode!
3. Start Odin
4. Click on the PDA button and browse to the .tar or .tar.md5 file that you extracted in step 1
If the package has more than one .tar archive then they will be labelled with PDA, Phone/Modem and CSC. Just put them in the corresponding section of Odin
5. DO NOT PUT .PIT FILE AND DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT TICK REPARTITION.
Anyone ask about .pit file is a moron
Should look like this screenshot http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1075278
Regardless of firmware version it's still the same methodology
6. Connect the USB cable and wait for the ID:COM section to turn yellow
7. Click start to flash
8. Do not disconnect the cable or turn off the device, it will reboot when it finishes.
It will not wipe your phone if you flash as recommended
You will lose root so just re-root with the guide below
Instructions - ODIN (long)
- Follow these instructions to the letter. Do not touch any buttons or checkboxes that are not listed below to touch!
- Unzip the attached CF-Root-xxx-vX.X.zip
- (USB) Disconnect your phone from your computer
- Start ODIN
- Click the PDA button, and select CF-Root-xxx-vX.X.tar
- Put your phone in download mode
- (USB) Connect the phone to your computer
- Make sure repartition is NOT checked
- Click the START button
- Wait for the phone to reboot
- Done (if it took you more than 30 seconds, you need practise!)
Yellow Triangle Removal
Just flash the original kernel I linked.
Tutorial can be found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1193091
Alternatively you can use a Jig as it also resets the custom Rom counter
Download Titanim Backup from the market once your phone is rooted. It backup everything and put back all yours apps, icones the way they were.
Get Juice defender and autokiller memory for you battery. It really work well. There's a cool feature where you can downclock your cpu at idle if its rooted.
You can get the original firmware from here (2.3.3)
If you need to put back your phone the way it was when you bought from the store.
Thats's all enjoy GingerBread 2.3.6.
Feel free to post if there's any mistake or something missing.