Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,773 Members 51,993 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How to replace Chinese firmware with European one

Tip us?

bluppfisk
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Question [Q] How to replace Chinese firmware with European one

I have bought a SGS2 in China. It comes with Chinese firmware (has English language though) but mostly with Chinese software and without Android Market. So it does not sync with Google, searches go through Baidu, I can't find and install most apps so it's essentially not very fun to use.

I have been trying to exchange the Chinese firmware for European firmware using ODIN.

Sadly, this seems not to work: the flashing always fails, leaving my phone bricked until I reflash the Chinese firmware (which works fine). This Chinese firmware has a different format, i.e. there are no CSC, MODEM and CODE tarballs. Instead there is one single tarbar containing the following files

boot.bin
cache.img
factoryfs.img
hidden.img
modem.bin
param.lfs
Sbl.bin
zImage

I would be terribly grateful if someone could help me make my 500 euro phone useful, or at least I would like someone to tell me why this firmware cannot simply be installed on this phone.

alrit
Old
Thanks Meter 4
ownhere --yeah the guy making googlemap mods -- is now making sgs2 rom based on china sgs2 rom

Go get it here

bluppfisk
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Thanks, but will this enable the Android market? It doesn't say so in the Chinese translated through Google Translate.. :/

alrit
Old
Thanks Meter 4
umm.. i thought u can read chi ..

It will enable market for sure. Here's 2 captured pics of that rom

It's in Chinese but u may still recognize the market icon @ second line together with some other GG stuffs.

said Non-officially , china version i9100 has some easy-to-brick problem rooting and flashing eu/hk rom, so maybe u should try this ownhere rom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	110722144123d437cd2c8f54c7.jpg
Views:	691
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	671027   Click image for larger version

Name:	11072214416b2b353b2ca68cf5.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	671041  

bluppfisk
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Thanks! This sounds really promising! Does it support English language still? I'll try as soon as possible!

alrit
Old
Thanks Meter 4
yeah every android handset supports english locale I guess.
like ur china version does.
The Following User Says Thank You to alrit For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

bluppfisk
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Thanks again. By the way, why is it that Chinese I9100 models have this problem? Is it a different filesystem? How have they managed to block EU firmware from a phone whose hardware ought to be identical?

Does it have anything to do with the processor not being a Tegra2?

bluppfisk
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Oh delicious man! It works! So far at least, I've been able to add a Google account and download apps from the Android market. I'm the happiest person on the planet. 100% fact*

*probably

alrit
Old
Thanks Meter 4
no idea.
It's a "It's said".
lol

bluppfisk
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Cool. I've been playing with it for a bit and am quite happy with it.

Some problems still remain, though.

1 The Reader's Hub and Social Hub are gone, not that I care that much

2 The MediaHub still only offers Chinese services, might want YouTube there

3 I don't find a phone software update button in the settings menu anymore (do I manually have to check for updates to this mod? Probably)

4 Adding a Credit Card to Google Market makes it become unresponsive (before I even am allowed to enter a card number). Might work better back in Europe.

5 I am now using a custom rom. I feel more comfortable with stock roms. I don't want to sound ungrateful but would love to know why I cannot simply flash European stock roms and how I could circumvent the barrier.

But a big thanks so far, it actually makes my phone usable and the GPS fix is fast as **** now!

Tags
china, chinese, firmware, flash