Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,899 Members 47,686 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Odin FAIL: Xmit Write fail and XmitData Fail

Tip us?
 
protein.synthesis
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 24
Join Date: Apr 2012
Exclamation Odin FAIL: Xmit Write fail and XmitData Fail

Hi everyone. I have a big problem on my hands. I tried to install Jelly Bean 4.1.2 stock firmware (on Samsung S II) from SamFirmware via Odin. During the install process a "FAIL!" message appeared.

)



Here is the message list below:


<ID:0/013> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> I9100XWLSS_I9100OJCLS4_I9100XXMS2_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/013> Odin v.3 engine (ID:13)..
<ID:0/013> File analysis..
<ID:0/013> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/013> Initialzation..
<ID:0/013> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/013> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/013> boot.bin
<ID:0/013> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/013> factoryfs.img
<ID:0/013> __Xmit Write fail
<ID:0/013> XmitData Fail..
<ID:0/013> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)


I followed the installation instructions carefully:
  • Boot phone into download mode.
  • Load Odin.
  • Connect phone to computer via USB.
  • Click PDA and browse for file (mine is I9100XWLSS_I9100OJCLS4_I9100XXMS2_HOME.tar.md5).
  • Make sure default settings unchanged and Re-Partition is disabled.
  • Then I clicked "Start"

I have used Odin before and have successfully rooted and installed firmware on my phone in the past.
I just dont understand why this is happening.

At the moment I havent touched anything (my phone is still connected to my computer and Odin has been left as it is and not closed). As I am quite scared to brick it. The download bar hasnt moved.

Please help. My friend asked me to install this firmware on his phone so I am in seriously need urgently. Thanks
 
MistahBungle
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 3205
Posts: 7,088
Join Date: Nov 2011
Hopper8's "Odin troubleshooting' thread. Find it, try as much of the stuff in the thread as you need to in order to get a successful flash.
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
 
protein.synthesis
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 24
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle View Post
Hopper8's "Odin troubleshooting' thread. Find it, try as much of the stuff in the thread as you need to in order to get a successful flash.
Thanks. I read the guide (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2345831) but what I saw there was about flashing failing when the connection to Odin isnt working.

With me my connection works (Ive updated firmware before via Odin) but the thing is it failed in middle of process
Are there any options I can choose in Odin to reboot safely? It is still in Fail state and phone still connected to computer (I havent touched anything)
 
MistahBungle
Old
#4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 3205
Posts: 7,088
Join Date: Nov 2011
It can fail in the middle of a flash for all kinds of reasons (bad download, temporary break in the connection between phone/PC but not long enough to register on the PC side).

You don't really have any other choice than pull the plug & hope you can switch the phone off & get into download mode again/hope that you haven't hard bricked it.

One way or another you need to get a successful Odin flash away in order to fix it. Despite your protestations to the contrary, the stuff in that thread does apply to the situation you find yourself in. If you can still get into download mode once you've unplugged it/pulled the battery, I very much recommend you try everything in that thread (including trying different PC's if necessary; how many previously successful flashes you've had is irrelevant if you can't fix this phone). Unless you'd rather take it to a Samsung service centre & pay them an exorbitant amount of money to fix it ?
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
protein.synthesis
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 24
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle View Post
It can fail in the middle of a flash for all kinds of reasons (bad download, temporary break in the connection between phone/PC but not long enough to register on the PC side).

You don't really have any other choice than pull the plug & hope you can switch the phone off & get into download mode again/hope that you haven't hard bricked it.

One way or another you need to get a successful Odin flash away in order to fix it. Despite your protestations to the contrary, the stuff in that thread does apply to the situation you find yourself in. If you can still get into download mode once you've unplugged it/pulled the battery, I very much recommend you try everything in that thread (including trying different PC's if necessary; how many previously successful flashes you've had is irrelevant if you can't fix this phone). Unless you'd rather take it to a Samsung service centre & pay them an exorbitant amount of money to fix it ?
I managed to get it working. I disconnected the phone and it fortunately was able to go into download mode and I installed a different stock firmware. Thanks for help
 
jeepersmr
Old
#6  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Oct 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by protein.synthesis View Post
I managed to get it working. I disconnected the phone and it fortunately was able to go into download mode and I installed a different stock firmware. Thanks for help
I can get into download mode, Odin will just NOT complete the install of the galaxy S3 firmware it stays stuck at "system ext4" for hours...any thoughts - see attachment...ty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s3 reload error.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	2775542  
 
MistahBungle
Old
#7  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 3205
Posts: 7,088
Join Date: Nov 2011
And you're posting in an I9100 thread why exactly ?
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
 
jeepersmr
Old
#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Oct 2013
Smile it was my usb cable

try a genuine Samsung usb cable (the white one). I tried the one that came with my galaxy tab 3 swapped out my cheapo usb cable and got past this error and got the orginal firmware back on my sgh-t999 S3
 
MistahBungle
Old
#9  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 3205
Posts: 7,088
Join Date: Nov 2011
Pretty sure nobody here cares given you have a different device (this is obvious advice anyway - of course you try different USB cables, in particular genuine Samsung ones).
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
 
jeepersmr
Old
#10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Oct 2013
Default idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle View Post
Pretty sure nobody here cares given you have a different device (this is obvious advice anyway - of course you try different USB cables, in particular genuine Samsung ones).
why didnt you help out protein.synthesis with this info then? the error is the same fix across all the S3 variants.

Tags
firmware, flashing, i9100, jelly bean 4.1.2, odin
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes