I think something is locking my microphone, ways to detect which app using microphone

24 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
By Miki800, Junior Member on 12th February 2014, 11:23 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
it started recently:
1. Whenever I try to use SoundHound to detect hearable songs, I get the following error:

"SoundHound is unable to detect a working microphone. Another app may have locked the microphone. Please try restarting your phone."

(this wasn't always like this)
BUT when I try to use the recorder app that came with my phone, it works without any problems.
2. When I plug my earphones in my android, I now hear a slight but loud "white noise", like "end-of-a-record" noise, or similar to the noise you get when you set speakers to maximum volume but nothing is played - you hear that "white noice" sound.
its like, something related to audio is going on on my droid, when nothing should be.

restarted it several times and the issue remains.
I have a rooted 2.3 Samsung Galaxy S II I9100G.

my purpose here is to discover how I can monitor my own microphone, and see if it is used or force disabling it with a command
maybe something that can be done via the terminal that I have installed.

my suspicion is that I have a trojan installed and that whenever the trojan detects on the working process list
- an app name that is reasonably related to legitimate audio recording (like "recorder") - it stops working and releases the microphone,
but continues working otherwise ==> hence the mic issue with SoundHound.

please help me.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)
Previous Thread Next Thread