Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,302 Members 51,617 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] I messed up something (black screen). Need help!

Tip us?

psydex
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
Battery Low [Q] I messed up something (black screen). Need help!

I knew I'll break it one day so no big surprise here.

Let me start from the beginning. I was testing a new ROM (C-ROM to be exact) but i didn't like it's using TWRP (I hate this thing, i'm used to CWM), so I tried installing CWM by using ROM Manager so I can restore from my Nandroid backup. Despite the "success" message of ROM Manager - the phone kept booting into TWRP recovery so i googled a "flashable cwm zip" and found this: CWM Recovery v6.0.4.5 for Galaxy S2 GT-i9100 ZIP

I flashed the above zip using TWRP (success message followed) but when i rebooted the phone - NOTHING came up. I thought myself i bricked it but i managed to go to download mode.

Where do i go from here? I guess i'll have to use PC Odin from here but i don't know what to do exactly (i'm not power user).
Samsung Galaxy SII GT-i9100
Cyanogenmod 11 (M8)

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3205
C'mon...You don't know how to flash a rom with Odin ? Not like it's a great secret, you don't need to be a 'power user', this info is easily found by searching (or even looking in the thread stickied near the top of Q&A titled 'Flash stock firmware').

Get a stock rom from Samfirmware, flash it with instructions in that thread. Problems with Odin flash ? Hopper8's 'Odin troubleshooting' thread stickied in General has all the info you need to get a successful flash.

Edit - Also, it was Rom Manager that broke your recovery. Don't use it. Yes, you may have been using it for a long time without problems, but that changed today, didn't it ? Eventually what happened to you will happen to everyone who uses Rom Manager on the I9100. It's unnecessary.
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
The Following User Says Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

psydex
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle View Post
C'mon...You don't know how to flash a rom with Odin ? Not like it's a great secret, you don't need to be a 'power user', this info is easily found by searching (or even looking in the thread stickied near the top of Q&A titled 'Flash stock firmware').

Get a stock rom from Samfirmware, flash it with instructions in that thread. Problems with Odin flash ? Hopper8's 'Odin troubleshooting' thread stickied in General has all the info you need to get a successful flash.
I only need to know what needs to be done so i don't brick my phone in the process. I only need to boot to CWM recovery so i can restore my nandroid.
Cyanogenmod 11 (M8)

Sun90
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 8784
Quote:
Originally Posted by psydex View Post
I only need to know what needs to be done so i don't brick my phone in the process. I only need to boot to CWM recovery so i can restore my nandroid.
1) Flash stock rom using 'ODIN'

2) Search for 'Philz' kernel thread and fallow instruction there to 'Root' your 'Stock Rom'.

3) then u can try its recovery to restore the 'Nand bkp' .

4) if the Bkp rom is KK then flash a KK compatible kernel and then try restoring the Nand bkp.
"Knowledge Stays Fresh if Shared else Rots"
Please:

The Following User Says Thank You to Sun90 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

psydex
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun90 View Post
1) Flash stock rom using 'ODIN'

2) Search for 'Philz' kernel thread and fallow instruction there to 'Root' your 'Stock Rom'.

3) then u can try its recovery to restore the 'Nand bkp' .

4) if the Bkp rom is KK then flash a KK compatible kernel and then try restoring the Nand bkp.
I'll try - thank you!
Cyanogenmod 11 (M8)
Tags
black screen, cwm, galaxy s2, twrp