Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,743,085 Members 44,171 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

nandroid restore question

Tip us?

corvus.corax
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 181
Default nandroid restore question

When doing a nandroid restore, does it replace everything that was there before or leave things from the stuff being replaced by the restore? Are certain wipes required to guarantee it's a clean restore?

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3205
It's a snapshot of the phone at the time the backup was taken. It will restore the phone to the exact state the phone was in when it was taken (it won't change your modem back if you've changed it since you took the backup though), and it won't fix things like EFS problems/etc.

Why would you need to wipe anything before/after a restore ? I've never done anything like that.
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?

corvus.corax
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 181
I do it just in case there is residual stuff in the system. As you pointed out, certain things like the modern and efs data remain, so maybe some old kernel or ROM leftovers are there too. So just being cautious, analysis, or both.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk