Search This thread

It_ler

Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S10
[QA][SGS2][Newbies][Experienced Users][RCs] New members friendly QA thread

Samsung Galaxy S2 (GT-I9100 and variants) Help Thread
Welcome all XDA members to the New Members Friendly Q&A Thread!

Please read the FAQ found here (Thanks to @KidCarter93), before asking any questions.
It is quite possible your question may have already been answered.

Welcome to the Samsung Galaxy S2 (GT-I9100 and variants) help thread! You can ask all questions here without the need of background knowledge. This thread is dedicated to solve users problems, so if you don't want to start a new thread for your question, ask it here. Members ready to help will be monitoring this thread and provide answers as soon as possible.
The intention of this thread is to offer an area where new XDA members and old members alike, can ask their questions without fear of ridicule or abuse.
There is no such thing as a "stupid" question here... all questions are valid.

To see a list of supporters, see here
List of current supporters
  • ApriliaM3
  • avirk
  • engloa
  • It_ler
  • Many40
  • marjune23
  • Vivek_Neel
  • m1trand1r
  • Droidriven
(The Wall-of-Fame can be found in post #2.)

To those seeking help: Please don't bombard the supporters with PMs asking for help. Instead, ask your question here in the thread so others can benefit from the solution to your problem as well. If you want to be sure someone particular gets notified of your question, put his / her username directly after an @. Also, if you have ROM related questions, post in the relevant ROM Q&A thread (if there is one) or directly in the ROM development thread. If you are not eligable of posting there, you may post here. Thank you!

Supporters: If you want to be put on or off the list, just make a request here in the thread!
All experienced users are invited to answer questions, give advice and help others in this thread.

ROM developers:
Please read this. Consider if you want to have a ROM specific help thread or not, if not, most likely questions about your ROM will be asked here if the users aren't eligable for posting in development section.

To all of you: Remember the Rules and the Forum Etiquette
Additional thread rules can be found in post #2.

Last edited:

It_ler

Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S10
Welcome all XDA members to the New Members Friendly Q&A Thread!

The Samsung Galaxy SII forum is very popular and we often find threads / posts created with repeated questions that have previously been answered.
That, apart of being against the rules (since the first rule of XDA is search before posting) contribute to flame wars, angry users, etc.
The intention of this thread is to offer an area where new XDA members and old members alike, can ask their questions without fear of ridicule or abuse.
There is no such thing as a "stupid" question here... all questions are valid.

You will also find here, links to some guides dedicated to the new users of XDA or the SGSII phone forums.

If you need more information, there is also a section called "Indexes" where you will find links to detailed lists of ROM's, Kernels and Tutorials for your SGSII.

All experienced users are invited to answer questions, give advice and help others in this thread.

Originally, this thread was created and maintained by some experienced users who were also Recognized Contributors on XDA (RC's).
Now, talking about Recognized Contributors (RC's), what are they? :
See the Announcement of the Recognized Contributor's and their Code of Conduct on the XDA portal.

⊗ Thread Rules ⊗

1.- Please don't ask what is the best ROM, Kernel or Theme, as you can see on the thread DO NOT POST A "What's the best ROM/Kernel/Theme?" THREAD!
.....That's against the rules. Bear in mind that every user is different and everyone uses their phone in a different way so you need to try things for yourself.
2.- No swearing in this thread.
3.- This thread is mainly for new members on XDA and / or on the SGSII forum so, no flaming please - that's also a rule of XDA.
4.- There are no "stupid" questions... all questions are valid.
5.- If you get an answer to a question or were helped in some way, please just hit the thanks button. This helps keep the thread clear of extra posts just to say thanks.
6.- If you get an answer, please edit your original post to notify everyone that your question has been solved.
7.- I will be asking Forum Moderator's to remove some posts from time to time to keep the thread as clean as possible.

⊗ Indexes ⊗

INDEX of ROMs [Android Development Forum]

INDEX of ROMS [Original Android Development Forum]

INDEX of KERNELS [Original Android & Android Development Forums]

[INDEX of GUIDES/TUTORIALS] SGS2 GT-I9100

⊗ Newbies dedicated: Guides / Sticky Threads ⊗

Forum Rules by MikeChannon

Frequently Asked Questions by KidCarter93

[HOW TO]Make The Most Of The XDA App by KidCarter93

[GUIDE] - XDA New User Guide - Getting started on XDA by mf2112

[HOW TO] make a good THREAD, POST, QUESTION and POLL by saywhatt

[Guide/Info] What you need to include to get help by kilometers4

[28 Aug 2012][ICS]Universal Rooting for most ICS phones, Any ROM, now with CWM6 by Phil3759

[Guide]NOOB Guide To Set File Permission's [28-08-2012] by Sun90

[GUIDE] ROOT/UNROOT Stock ICS Firmware without flashing unsecure kernel by Rachmat3

[Guide] Getting a Moderator's Help by TonyStark

[GUIDE] Fix an unflashable or soft bricked GSII (I9100G/M/P/T VERSION INCLUDED) by Phistachio

[GUIDE][NOOB Friendly]How to make a good signature[NOOB Friendly][GUIDE] by dorianborovina

Android Terms,Slang & Definitions UPDATED 07/08/(READ THIS BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS!) by Diablo67

[REF] CWM - ClockWorkMod menu options & Partitions– GENERAL KNOWLEDGE by ZACQ8

[Bible] Galaxy S II Bible: Complete reference (updated 01/02/12) by sekhargreen

Postcount limit in developmental fora by 12aon

[GUIDE] Recover your IMEI in 9 steps by vaskodogamagmail

New here? READ THIS THREAD FIRST. What Is Recovery & Download Mode? by pulser_g2

Want To Post In Development? by KidCarter93

[GUIDE][Troubleshoot a failed Odin flash] by Hopper8

[GUIDE][ICS/JB] 26/12 - Flash Stock firmware/ROM + Root & SIM Unlock[AIO] by GamingDj

[Guide] How to root and Flash new ROM on SGS2 for newbie. by avirk

[INFO][APP SETUP] Lockscreen Notifications on Android [4.2+] by Hopper8

NOTE: If anyone finds another "newbie dedicated" guide that I don't have listed here, please send me a PM and I will add it.

Thanks in advance.

⊗ Wall of Fame ⊗

The Wall Of Fame is reserved for members who are consistently helping others in this thread.
I will monitor the thread closely and any members who help and contribute substantially to the thread, will have their name applied here.

1.- AvRS
2.- It_ler
3.- ApriliaM3
4.- Krishnadusad
5.- Many40
6.- electricsheepdreamer
7.- Sun90
8.- Hopper8
9.- avirk
10.- Vivek_Neel
11.- engloa
12.- m1trand1r

⊗ SGSII Forum Moderators ⊗

This forum has one Senior Moderator and six Forum Specific Moderators (FSM) in charge, they are TheDeadCPU (SM), efrant, Andy, 'cooleagle', graffixnyc, Jonny and The-Captain all the reported posts will be directed to them but also, if you have any questions regarding the forum or even a personal question, send them a PM. Please keep in mind that they have more than one forum to moderate and have personal lives as well, so if you PM them, please be patient and give them time to answer.

Last edited:

It_ler

Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S10
⊗ What are the XDA titles and how do you earn them? ⊗

There are Junior Members, Members, Senior Members first. These make up the vast majority of XDAs userbase. These are based on post count and not thanks -
Junior Member 0 - 29
Member 30 - 99
Senior Member 100+

Recognized Contributors are nominated by other users and/or Mods/Developers. They are recognised for their contributions which are not specifically Development, such as detailed guides, one-click utilities and other tools/mods.

Recognized Themers are also nominated by users/Mods/Developers, for their work themeing custom ROMs and providing standalone themes for flashing.

Recognized Developers are nominated and approved by the Developer Committee, for their work in Development whether it be ROMs, Root methods, bootloader unlocks etc.

Elite Recognized Developers are again assessed by the Developer Committee, and are deemed to have gone above-and-beyond in providing knowledge/hacks/tools/apps/ROMs for the XDA community.

Forum Moderators are appointed by the Moderator Committee, after submitting an application, they are the first-line of keeping the forums tidy, friendly and orderly.

Senior Moderators are the next step up the ladder, providing site-wide support for Forum Mods and looking after the nitty-gritty issues, as well as areas of XDA not policed by FSMs, such as the Marketplace.

Administrators are next. There are several Admins - each look after a specific part of XDA such as the Portal, the Members and the User Experience of XDA as a whole.

At the top is Mike Channon, who is overall Forum Administrator.

Other titles you may come across:

Moderator Committee - sits on the Mod Committee
Developer Committee - as above, but for Developer Committee
RC - RT Committee - as above, but for Contributor and Themer Committee
XDA Newswriter - publishes articles for the Portal (front page)
Retired xxxx - have since officially 'left' their XDA position

Contrary to what a lot of people expect, the thanks-meter does not figure at all in determining a users tag.

Thanks to @juzz86 for the information.

Last edited:

jorricks

Mar 12, 2012
Ok my question:
My baseband-version of my ICS-version is i19100BULP6
So my number is LP6
What does this mean?
Since almost all themes don't support LP6.
So my questions:
1. Why don't they support this version?
2. Are they ever going to support it?
3. If I flash a custom ROM will I be able to use the ICS Domination theme then?

n70shan

Jan 10, 2012
Lahore
help.

i m a android fan boy but every time i buy a phone i get dissapointed very soon currently i have galaxy s2 everything is ok except battery life now plz dont tell me how to increase battery life , i am a software developer!! fanboy i m a crazy user of phone kindly suggest me a high end phone and my special requirements are camera and battery life both should b outstanding with a best cpu also. i hve already checked htc one s and one x and sony xperia s but all are not very satisfactory in terms of battry also htc one x has average camera. galaxy s 3 will b available after a month in my country any other suggestion plzz for me??: what should i buy? thanks in advance and dont say me to leave android

The-Hulk

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 9, 2012
Warrington
i m a android fan boy but every time i buy a phone i get dissapointed very soon currently i have galaxy s2 everything is ok except battery life now plz dont tell me how to increase battery life , i am a software developer!! fanboy i m a crazy user of phone kindly suggest me a high end phone and my special requirements are camera and battery life both should b outstanding with a best cpu also. i hve already checked htc one s and one x and sony xperia s but all are not very satisfactory in terms of battry also htc one x has average camera. galaxy s 3 will b available after a month in my country any other suggestion plzz for me??: what should i buy? thanks in advance and dont say me to leave android
There is no need to get defencive about your question, not everyone on this forum will snap at you for asking a question, if members do just ignore them. I would say that your best bet is wait for the samsung Galaxy s III, also is your phone rooted have you tried diffrent roms and kernels, to improve the battery life of your Galaxy S II and you would be able to tinker with you cpu.

eoincruiser

May 11, 2012
Help Needed for a complete NOOB

Hi all, new member as i just got a samsung galaxy S2!

Ok, so i have bought a sgs2 of a friend at work. He was messing with it(trying to root it, he thinks) and did something wrong and messed it up, so i bought it of him for very cheap to have a go at fixing it. Things that are wrong with it - when you turn the phone on it just comes up with samsung Galaxy S2 gt-19100 with a yellow triangle under it, it wont go any further. I can get into the download menu, but i cant get into the menu to do a factory reset. Another thing is it will not charge, when i plug it in to the mains or a pc it just comes up with a battery and a little circle inside it, but dosnt move and dosnt charge! O and yet another thing i dont now what firmware was on it before, but i no it was O2 if thats any help. If i have left anything out that you need to no, ill be hear all night trying to get this thing going! Is it even possible for this to be fixed as i had a good look threw this website and the internet and cant find anything about this. I can post pics if needed!

Thanks

Ps. i hope i have put this in the right place, If not please feel free to move or remove.

jorricks

Mar 12, 2012
Ok my question:
My baseband-version of my ICS-version is i19100BULP6
So my number is LP6
What does this mean?

It means your modem is LP6

Baseband is NOT the firmware so you are looking at the wrong code for custom roms .

BASICS.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1125282
jje

So thanks for your help but I'm a noob and where to get my Firmware version :p?
And could you please answer my other question 2 :)
Also I looked at the Basics link you gave but I can't find info about it

The-Hulk

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 9, 2012
Warrington
Hi all, new member as i just got a samsung galaxy S2!

Ok, so i have bought a sgs2 of a friend at work. He was messing with it(trying to root it, he thinks) and did something wrong and messed it up, so i bought it of him for very cheap to have a go at fixing it. Things that are wrong with it - when you turn the phone on it just comes up with samsung Galaxy S2 gt-19100 with a yellow triangle under it, it wont go any further. I can get into the download menu, but i cant get into the menu to do a factory reset. Another thing is it will not charge, when i plug it in to the mains or a pc it just comes up with a battery and a little circle inside it, but dosnt move and dosnt charge! O and yet another thing i dont now what firmware was on it before, but i no it was O2 if thats any help. If i have left anything out that you need to no, ill be hear all night trying to get this thing going! Is it even possible for this to be fixed as i had a good look threw this website and the internet and cant find anything about this. I can post pics if needed!

Thanks

Ps. i hope i have put this in the right place, If not please feel free to move or remove.

Ok so the yellow triangle means he tried to flash an inscure kernel, which is fine but you seem to have got into boot loop. When you connect the phone to the computer does the computer recognise the phone. If it does then you can flash a stock firmware from here all the instructions you need are on that website.

oinkylicious

May 1, 2011
www.notjustnerds.co.uk
where to get my Firmware version :p?
And could you please answer my other question 2 :)

Settings --> About phone --> Build number. I suspect yours is LPC rather than LP6, but that's just a guess.

So my questions:
1. Why don't they support this version?
2. Are they ever going to support it?
3. If I flash a custom ROM will I be able to use the ICS Domination theme then?

2). I can't answer this question definitively because I don't yet know your build number yet, but themes and mods tend to be released for popular ROMs, you can always change.

3). You can see in the relevant thread which ROMs are supported http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1334922 which at the time of writing appears to be LP3, LPS, LP4, LP7, LP8, LP9.

Reactions: jorricks

jorricks

Mar 12, 2012
Settings --> About phone --> Build number. I suspect yours is LPC rather than LP6, but that's just a guess.

2). I can't answer this question definitively because I don't yet know your build number yet, but themes and mods tend to be released for popular ROMs, you can always change.

3). You can see in the relevant thread which ROMs are supported http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1334922 which at the time of writing appears to be LP3, LPS, LP4, LP7, LP8, LP9.
Yes indead it was LPC! Thx for all your support guys :) Going to search for a rom now :)

---------- Post added 12th May 2012 at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was 11th May 2012 at 11:41 PM ----------

So my next question is about wipes :p
You have different kind of wipes and I can't find anywhere what they mean..
1. wipe data/factory reset
2. wipe dalvik cache
3. full wipe
4. wipe cache partition
5. when they say "wipe your date" what does that mean?

I would like to know what it removes and so if it deletes all my settings, files, or just cache.

The-Hulk

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 9, 2012
Warrington
Yes indead it was LPC! Thx for all your support guys :) Going to search for a rom now :)

---------- Post added 12th May 2012 at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was 11th May 2012 at 11:41 PM ----------

2. wipe dalvik cache
3. full wipe
4. wipe cache partition

I would like to know what it removes and so if it deletes all my settings, files, or just cache.

1. Will wipe all of you apps, data, settings, e.t.c
2. That is to do with your apps and will do nothing to your phone that you will see, it is recomended that you wipe this when flashing rom or gapps as a make sure.
3. Same a the first
4. This will wipe a number of files, but nothing that you will see.
5. When they say wipe your data they mean 1 and 4, sometimes 2 if you are flashing Gapps

Reactions: Stileth

ZACQ8

Jan 24, 2012
Kuwait

2. wipe dalvik cache
3. full wipe
4. wipe cache partition

To know what do these "wipes" really do, read the last item of "Roll up Sticky Threads" on first post of this thread .

ZAC

Last edited:

n70shan

Jan 10, 2012
Lahore
There is no need to get defencive about your question, not everyone on this forum will snap at you for asking a question, if members do just ignore them. I would say that your best bet is wait for the samsung Galaxy s III, also is your phone rooted have you tried diffrent roms and kernels, to improve the battery life of your Galaxy S II and you would be able to tinker with you cpu.

plz suggest me which rom should i install to get all functionaliries plus increaes battrey life

ZACQ8

Jan 24, 2012
Kuwait
plz suggest me which rom should i install to get all functionaliries plus increaes battrey life
You may receive personal suggestions from the members based on their experience on the different ROM, but XDA moderaters dont like this question since there are lot of hardworks being made by the Developers during cooking of their ROM, all have got their own features, you have to test them untill you find a best for you....

read this rule : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1612881

Last edited:
Reactions: n70shan

n70shan

Jan 10, 2012
Lahore
You may receive personal suggestions from the members based on their experience on the different ROM, but XDA moderaters dont like this question since there are lot of hardworks being made by the Developers during cooking of their ROM, all have got their own features, you have to test them untill you find a best for you....

read this rule : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1612881

ok i understand but i dont have much time to try all roms so plz u suggest me the best one with all best functions plus best battrey life thanks.! and complete guide how to install that. Also plz tell me should i use official extended battrey by samsung of 2000mah?? is it usefull for me?

The-Hulk

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 9, 2012
Warrington
ok i understand but i dont have much time to try all roms so plz u suggest me the best one with all best functions plus best battrey life thanks.! and complete guide how to install that. Also plz tell me should i use official extended battrey by samsung of 2000mah?? is it usefull for me?
Ok one of the most used roms is here, although you need to be rooted to install this rom on your phone.

Top Liked Posts