FORUMS

What Features Do You Look for in a Gallery App?

With so many different options to choose from, finding the right Gallery app may be a … more

Google Photos ‘Unlimited’ Storage Reportedly Being Capped

When Google Photos was announced, many of us thought very highly … more

Sprint Moves to Lift Video Streaming Limit for All-In

Yesterday, Sprint announced a new unlimited scheme that offered customers an … more

Xiaomi Releases Kernel Source Code For Mi4i

If you’ve been following the XDA News Portal lately, you might have noticed an … more

*Noob Alert* How do I root my Galaxy S2 on 4.0.4 and then install CM9?

46 posts
Thanks Meter: 0
 
By jackfifield, Member on 10th August 2012, 12:22 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
SOLUTION FOUND, ALL PROBLEMS SOLVED :)

Hi, I recently installed Android 4.0.4 to my Galaxy S2. The reason I am asking these questions is because all/most of the documentation written for them seems to be written for a Galaxy S2 with 4.0.3 or below.
Basically, the latest update was bad, made the system look ugly, makes phone signal drop, battery drain, some texts drop, and Silent mode seems to be no different from vibrate mode in that it still vibrates. What I want to do is root my Galaxy S2, backup all of the apps, SMS, MMS, Call logs and their data (So that when I restore the phone, I don't have to start games like Asphalt 6 and Cut The Rope over again) and then install CM9 + Google Apps and restore the apps and their data. Is there an easy way of doing this that's suitable for a first time rooter and flasher?

Thanks so much for any help, Jack :)

Running an unbranded, sim free Galaxy S2 bought from Amazon.
On giffgaff network.
In the UK, so I'm not using LTE or anything like that :)
Last edited by jackfifield; 10th August 2012 at 07:50 PM.
 
 
10th August 2012, 12:27 PM |#2  
Stileth's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 123
 
More
Root using method 1 from guide in my signature. Then backup all with Titanium Backup.

Odoslané z GT-I9100 cez Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to Stileth For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th August 2012, 12:34 PM |#3  
OP Member
Flag Twickenham
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stileth

Root using method 1 from guide in my signature. Then backup all with Titanium Backup.

Odoslané z GT-I9100 cez Tapatalk 2

Ok, I read through it and it seems like it's not too complicated, but when it says "Internal SD Card" does that mean my MicroSD card or something different?

Thanks, Jack

Edit: Also, where do I download the files that it mentions?
Last edited by jackfifield; 10th August 2012 at 12:40 PM.
10th August 2012, 12:38 PM |#4  
Stileth's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 123
 
More
No, internal SD card is your internal storage. Your microSD is external as you can take it out

Odoslané z GT-I9100 cez Tapatalk 2
The Following User Says Thank You to Stileth For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th August 2012, 12:42 PM |#5  
OP Member
Flag Twickenham
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stileth

No, internal SD card is your internal storage. Your microSD is external as you can take it out ;)

Odoslané z GT-I9100 cez Tapatalk 2

Ok, thanks :)

Also, because the forum wouldn't me add the edit in time, where do I download the files that the guide mentions.

Sorry for asking all these (possibly stupid) questions, I'm just nervous :)
10th August 2012, 12:46 PM |#6  
Senior Member
Flag Southampton
Thanks Meter: 51
 
More
As for backing up apps and games etc....titanium backup. I was advised to use the pro version, will never turn my back on it. As for the rom and root it depends what kernel wnd rom you want to use. My signature has links to a reliable kernel and rom thats based on CM, AOKP and a few others rolled into one, magic config link is also usefull to maximize battery life

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
The Following User Says Thank You to tigerphil For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th August 2012, 12:52 PM |#7  
OP Member
Flag Twickenham
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Ok, also, is anything likely to go wrong during the rooting process? I'm trying to backup via Kies before doing anything, and Kies keeps failing and telling me to reconnect. I've tried restarting the PC and phone, and it keeps doing it, some I'm wondering whether I should bother backing up with Kies at all.


Thanks, Jack
10th August 2012, 12:56 PM |#8  
leeomendes's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 397
 
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfifield

Ok, I read through it and it seems like it's not too complicated, but when it says "Internal SD Card" does that mean my MicroSD card or something different?

Thanks, Jack

Edit: Also, where do I download the files that it mentions?

it's your internal storage (Phone), not the microSD card...
The Following User Says Thank You to leeomendes For This Useful Post: [ View ]
10th August 2012, 01:02 PM |#9  
Senior Member
Flag Southampton
Thanks Meter: 51
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfifield

Ok, also, is anything likely to go wrong during the rooting process? I'm trying to backup via Kies before doing anything, and Kies keeps failing and telling me to reconnect. I've tried restarting the PC and phone, and it keeps doing it, some I'm wondering whether I should bother backing up with Kies at all.


Thanks, Jack

Only thing that will happen when rooting (providing you use a kernel that is trusted, some have emmc cap erase bug, messes things up, luckily i aint had that before) your get a yellow triangle when booting your phone, this can be removed using triangle away app which resets your binary to say it hasnt been tampered with. Aslong as you follow instructions fully, you should be fine as for kies, odin hates it, disable kies or uninstall it from your pc. Backups are always better with titanium, your probably find that your apps are backed up to google but may need to restart games etc where as titanium saves everything so you start from where you left things

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
10th August 2012, 01:08 PM |#10  
OP Member
Flag Twickenham
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphil

Only thing that will happen when rooting (providing you use a kernel that is trusted, some have emmc cap erase bug, messes things up, luckily i aint had that before) your get a yellow triangle when booting your phone, this can be removed using triangle away app which resets your binary to say it hasnt been tampered with. Aslong as you follow instructions fully, you should be fine :) as for kies, odin hates it, disable kies or uninstall it from your pc. Backups are always better with titanium, your probably find that your apps are backed up to google but may need to restart games etc where as titanium saves everything so you start from where you left things

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

Ok, so I decided that I'm going to use Method 1 in Stileth's signature ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1746794 ) would this apply for that? How dangerous is that method. Also, I can't backup with Titanium before rooting, which was my main concern, as I wanted a backup in case anything went wrong whilst rooting.

Thanks, Jack :)
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes