Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,036 Members 51,852 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Get a noob started] The basics - 3 questions

Tip us?

mandoku
Old
Account currently disabled - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Default [Get a noob started] The basics - 3 questions

Hi everyone!
Let me start off by saying that I am not one of those who directly ask questions before reading. Honestly, I have been reading from guide to guide and it is because of the many guides on the forum and Google that I have become confused on where to start.
I have rooted and flashed ROMs + kernels on my old phone, so I know most of how it works, but its the first time I use a Samsung phone, so I would really love some help to get started.
All in all, I have only few questions, but important ones I would love to be covered. Better safe than sorry, right?

Let's get started:
  • I am currently running stock JB - to get root I shall just flash CF-Root, or is anything else recommended?
  • Once rooted, is there any recovery I shall use that is more "stable" than any other? CWM, CWM Touch, TWRP etc.? Lets say I want to try NeatROM + Apolo kernel, will that require any specific recovery?
  • If I want to try different ROMs out, like to go from NeatROM to SlimBean to CM11, can I do all that by using the same recovery? I know about the full wipes, I just want to make sure I can flash other ROMs straight away or if I need to change things before?

That is all for now. Once this is covered up, I highly believe I can take care of myself in this huge community and to help others too once I get a little experienced

I say thanks in advance! Absolutely loving the forum here
The Following User Says Thank You to mandoku For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TheImpossibleEnemy
Old
Thanks Meter 128
Hmm,as all your questions are somehow recovery/kernel related,you may try flashing Philz kernel.It's basically a stock kernel+advanced cwm recovery.You'll get root too.Its cwm can flash all roms up to android 4.3.1.I would call this option a safe and easy bet.
Also,if you want to try kitkat roms,like cm11,you'll have to update to kitkat compatible recovery,like cwm 6.0.4.7 etc,first.
GT-i9100
SlimSaber Reborn 4.3.1
Dorimanx 10.43v112
The Following User Says Thank You to TheImpossibleEnemy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mandoku
Old
(Last edited by mandoku; 13th April 2014 at 09:25 PM.)
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImpossibleEnemy View Post
Hmm,as all your questions are somehow recovery/kernel related,you may try flashing Philz kernel.It's basically a stock kernel+advanced cwm recovery.You'll get root too.Its cwm can flash all roms up to android 4.3.1.I would call this option a safe and easy bet.
Also,if you want to try kitkat roms,like cm11,you'll have to update to kitkat compatible recovery,like cwm 6.0.4.7 etc,first.
Thanks for the reply! Appreciate the help! From what I can see, that also roots the phone, so this could be the easiest way to go

I assume you refer to this thread? http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...exfat-t1877270

The latest build alone has all these builds lol:

PhilZ-cwm6-XWMS2-MOT-5.15.9.tar.md5
PhilZ-cwm6-XWMS2-MOT-5.15.9-signed.zip
PhilZ-cwm6-XWMS1-NEE-5.15.9-signed.zip
PhilZ-cwm6-XWMS1-NEE-5.15.9.tar.md5
PhilZ-cwm6-XWLSZ-OJC-5.15.9.tar.md5
PhilZ-cwm6-XWLSZ-OJC-5.15.9-signed.zip

Honestly, in the thread OP says this but I really need help to understand this further:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil3759 View Post
What kernel to choose:
The important part is the Kernel code:
XWLPX-NEE
Kernel code is in red (LPX), for this example, you need an LPX ROM. However, often, you can mix kernels when they are close: LPF kernel with LPG ROM...
NEE code doesn't matter at all, I add it for reference. It is the CSC
XW: mixed, often doesn't matter for close regions. For example, XW and XX are often interchangeable. However, mixing a BU with an XW ROM or inversly, sometimes works, but often ends in a bootloop. In that case, either boot into recovery or download mode to reflash
And one more question: It says cwm6, does this mean I shall use this recovery for JB or KK ROMs?

I am getting close to flashing, just need this final step

TheImpossibleEnemy
Old
(Last edited by TheImpossibleEnemy; 13th April 2014 at 09:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 128
Look at your rom's build number and choose accordingly.To check,go to settings/about device.
Use this kernel only for stock/stock based JB or ICS,as it has older,kitkat incompatible, CWM.
To flash 4.4.x roms,you can do it by following these simple steps:
1.Download a 6.0.4.x or newer CWM for i9100.
2.Boot to Philz recovery.Do a nandroid backup.
3.Flash new CWM.
4.Reboot recovery.
5.Full wipe,then flash chosed kitkat rom+gapps.
6.Reboot and enjoy!!
GT-i9100
SlimSaber Reborn 4.3.1
Dorimanx 10.43v112
The Following User Says Thank You to TheImpossibleEnemy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

mandoku
Old
Thanks Meter 17
Ok that is great help mate. Youre great person!

I just didnt quiet get the custom JB part then, to flash a custom JB such as the one on your signature, SlimSaber 4.3, I shall use...?

I promise this is the last question then I am good to go all thanks to you

TheImpossibleEnemy
Old
(Last edited by TheImpossibleEnemy; 13th April 2014 at 10:52 PM.)
Thanks Meter 128
With the CWM 6.0.3.2,which is latest in Philz kernel,you can flash all Jelly Bean roms(4.1.x to 4.3.1).This includes both stock samsung 4.1.2 Jelly Bean and custom JB roms,like AOSP(that SlimSaber 4.3.1 is),CM,AOKP and so on...Just no KitKat love.
Don't forget to do a nandroid backup and EFS(this is vital) backup in recovery before you start. Just in case you know.
Good luck!
GT-i9100
SlimSaber Reborn 4.3.1
Dorimanx 10.43v112