Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,101 Members 43,638 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Original ROM: GPS broken, weird long battery life

Tip us?

NeoTO
Old
(Last edited by NeoTO; 8th January 2014 at 07:15 AM.) Reason: added versions
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Battery Full [Q] Original ROM: GPS broken, weird long battery life

This one is a weird one...

About a week ago, I needed GPS to navigate out of a town - I waited and waited and didn't get even any satellite reception... It turned out that I found the way by myself and just closed the navigation. A few days later, same situation, no visible satellites at all... Didn't have time to reboot the phone, so I just closed the navigation and went my way.

Now, something weird is going on with my phone... Usually I get about 2 days of battery life - but since last charging, it looks i will get about 4 days and I have been using quite a few apps, browsed the net, made SIP phone calls, made normal phone calls... (more than normal usage for me anyway).

Is it just me or are those two things connected in any way? Can it be that GPS has crashed somehow and in the result, lowered the power consumption of the phone? Is it possible to turn off the GPS 'on demand' to extend battery life?
All other stuff is working like a charm...

I am using stock ROM (4.1.2, radio: I9100BULS1, build: JZO54K.I9100XWLSD)

duykhanh187
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Why do not you try installing a different rom see why.

NeoTO
Old
(Last edited by NeoTO; 8th January 2014 at 02:09 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by duykhanh187 View Post
Why do not you try installing a different rom see why.
Well, a colleague of mine has the same phone and has experimented with various ROMs - none gave him so much more battery life. It is not the question of which ROM is better in terms of battery life, but whether some weird (non-functional) state of GPS (I have it normally disabled almost all the time via drop-down menu) can cause the extended battery life. And if this is possible, can this be done on purpose?

-Marco
Old
Thanks Meter 70

DONATE TO ME
The ROM stock give many problems, you're not in fact the only that the strikes. I advise you to try some Sammy Rom! JellySNAP v6 and, for example, a great ROM based-stock Sammy

Give me a THANKS if I helped you / you like my post
Italy developer
~CyanFox Team~
The Following User Says Thank You to -Marco For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

NeoTO
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Marco View Post
The ROM stock give many problems, you're not in fact the only that the strikes. I advise you to try some Sammy Rom! JellySNAP v6 and, for example, a great ROM based-stock Sammy
I am bumping this topic to continue the discussion...

I am aware of other ROMs and have experimented with a lot of them on another phone. Due to extensive set of installed applications, loads of data and relatively stable stock ROM, I haven't really taken the time to do the transition.

So, I am not really looking for a solution to fix GPS, but the opposite way. I want to know if I can break GPS on next boot in order to obtain such long battery life... How many days of inactivity do you get with non-stock ROMs? At the moment, I am getting 5 days of light use WITH stock ROM (WiFi, Bluetooth, data disabled, only connected to mobile network to accept and make calls). I was never been able to do more than 3-4 days and my battery is now over 2 years old....

So, please, don't try to persuade me to install other ROMs by stating that they are better and more stable - list your battery lifes in case of light use or inactivity.... Do you get 5 days on 2 year old battery?

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3205
If you think breaking GPS is somehow responsible for greater battery life, you're going to end up rather disappointed. That concept defies logic given GPS only uses battery when you're actually using it. How is it possible for battery life to somehow magically double as a result of GPS being 'broken' ?

Thus far you've not provided one duplicable 'test' that other people can try to see if they get similar results, and all you've done is blabbered nonsense in a couple of posts. I mean, do you honestly think people here are going to delete a bunch of GPS system files to see if they can get some magical extension in battery life ? I know I'm not, because trying to put that stuff back when your silly theory doesn't work is a pain in the arse.

Did it ever occur to you that given the battery is two years old it's quite probably on its last legs & is very likely chemically unstable (this is why 'old' batteries swell up & sometimes even burst). This instability might be causing the extra battery life as the battery approaches the point where it's no longer useful. Put it this way, that's far more likely than busted GPS causing the extra battery life.

So, please don't try to persuade us that breaking GPS somehow doubles your battery life with a 2 yr old battery. Logic & almost 3 yrs worth of different people's experiences on here with this phone just don't support your ridiculous assertions.
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?

NeoTO
Old
(Last edited by NeoTO; 15th January 2014 at 10:48 AM.) Reason: typos
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
That was a spicy reply, MistahBungle

Some facts:
- No system update was installed in the last month
- No application has been removed
- System hasn't been rebooted for a month or so
- Never got more than 2-3 days out of battery in idle
- Battery is 2 years old and is physically not damaged or swelled
- GPS isn't working (not even receiving or predicting a satellite on a clear day)
- System is rooted for a year or so
- Battery lasts 4 days now (instead of <2days a month ago)
- Connected to 3G network (no data connection)

I would try to reboot my phone, but I am afraid that it will all be over...

So, to stay with firm facts - how much battery life do you get with alternative ROMs in real life? Is 4 days (5-6 days with new battery) something usual?

Quote:
That concept defies logic given GPS only uses battery when you're actually using it.
Can you then explain me the difference between Cold and Warm GPS start? As far as I know, phone tries to keep as accurate GPS time as possible and a bunch of ephemerisis data in order to decode GPS data faster, next time you enable GPS. This defies logic that GPS is completely OFF when it is 'disabled' by GPS button in Android system.

Quote:
I mean, do you honestly think people here are going to delete a bunch of GPS system files to see if they can get some magical extension in battery life ?
No, I don't expect it to. I am looking for information whether anyone experienced anything similar.

Quote:
Did it ever occur to you that given the battery is two years old it's quite probably on its last legs & is very likely chemically unstable (this is why 'old' batteries swell up & sometimes even burst). This instability might be causing the extra battery life as the battery approaches the point where it's no longer useful.
In Lithium-powered batteries, I haven't come across the fact that battery capacity is increased with battery ageing and sweling up... On the contrary, internal resistance goes haywire and capacity drops, contributing to even more heat being spent internally by the battery and speeding up the process of degradation...

I may have not been cooking my own ROMs and writing drivers for phones, but I have quite extensive background in embedded systems and electronics. Battery life can not increase just by itself - there must be a reason... My lifestyle hasn't changed, my environment also didn't change, other phones at home didn't experience such battery life extensions... The only thing that I noticed is that the GPS is not working. I opened this topic in order to discuss whether that's the true cause or not.

So, based on '3 yrs worth of different people's experiences on here', what could be the cause for such prolonged battery life? How can I debug it by myself without rebooting the phone?

Tags
broken gps, galaxy s ii, long battery life