Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,481 Members 54,413 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What should I do before OTA update? Completely stock SGS2.

Tip us?

-SKYLINE-
Old
(Last edited by -SKYLINE-; 14th November 2011 at 08:31 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] What should I do before OTA update? Completely stock SGS2.

My friend just bought a white SGS2 and I noticed her version did not have the bouncy scroll, but the blue glow instead. I checked that she was on a different Android Version than mine (mine 2.3.3, her version 2.3.5). So I went to check for updates using OTA and to my surprise they have an update!

(1) I want to ask what you would recommend doing before an OTA?
(2) Does it wipe my device and lose all my pictures/videos?
(3) Anything interesting I should backup/dump on my unrooted stock SGS2 for the sake of modifying or comparing later on?

Thanks. you guys are the best!

Edit: i'm on CSL One2Free in Hong Kong. bought SGS2 from the carrier unlocked.

Cosmic Blue
Old
Thanks Meter 198
always back up your phone before doing any changes other then installing apps.

it will make a back up of your pictures and data and reinstall them after updating your phone.

yes, the efs file so you can restore your imei in case of problems, check apps for a program to back up and restore efs files.

It_ler
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 15,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by -SKYLINE- View Post
My friend just bought a white SGS2 and I noticed her version did not have the bouncy scroll, but the blue glow instead. I checked that she was on a different Android Version than mine (mine 2.3.3, her version 2.3.5). So I went to check for updates using OTA and to my surprise they have an update!

(1) I want to ask what you would recommend doing before an OTA?
(2) Does it wipe my device and lose all my pictures/videos?
(3) Anything interesting I should backup/dump on my unrooted stock SGS2 for the sake of modifying or comparing later on?

Thanks. you guys are the best!

Edit: i'm on CSL One2Free in Hong Kong. bought SGS2 from the carrier unlocked.
I think that copying all your personal files (pictures, videos, etc.) from your phone to your PC will do it.
Connect the phone using USB cable to your PC wait for the phone drivers to be installed and access your phone's files via Windows Explorer.
Alternatively you can use KIES to backup all those files.

Just if you are interested in complete system backup&recovery, then read ahead - otherwise skip it:

Best system backup (&recovery) is available only for rooted devices.
If rooted, you can use several apps doing a backup for you.
Or you just do a system/nandroid backup using the ClockWorkMod (CWM) recovery mode.
The easiest way of getting this, is to flash the latest CF-Root kernel from Chainfire.
If your are interested, have a look here => http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...hlight=CF+Root.

But remember to flash back the original/stock kernel for your ROM in order to get OTA update working.
First you have to identify your ROM/kernel verion (menu Settings => Phone information => Kernel ... the last part after GINGERBREAD is important.)
Then you can find many stock kernels in the second post of Intratech's Official Firmwares thread here => http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1075278

Good luck!
Device: SGS5 (SM-G900F)
ROM: AllianceROM v5.3
Kernel: Stock XXU1ANG7 kernel
Recovery: PhilZ-touch CWM recovery
Modem: XXU1ANG7
If you have any question about or any issue with your SGS2, just ask in the New members friendly Q&A thread,
... for your SGS5, just ask in the Noob friendly Galaxy S5 All in one support thread.
If you need general help/assistance, please go to XDA Assist.