Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,535 Members 39,997 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

phone only charge visually

Tip us?

gsync
Old
(Last edited by gsync; 28th April 2014 at 06:02 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Plug phone only charge visually

I think it started when I spring cleaned the inside of my desktop system unit and accidentally plugged the front usb 2.0 connector (my pc is very old) to the motherboard in reverse. I didn't recognize it until I tried charging my phone through the front usb but my phone didn't charged at all and it suddenly got very hot instead.

After that, my phone won't charge through wall or usb anymore. It only displays that the phone is charging but the battery percentage is not really increasing. I already tried replacing the battery and also tried using a different wall charger and it's still the same. For now, I've been using an external battery charger since it's my only choice and I can't afford to buy a new phone.

Can somebody help me identify what parts were damaged and I need to replace in order to fix the problem? Do I need to buy an entire board replacement just to fix this?

BTW, I'm using i9100 Intl.

Thanks in advance.

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3205
Replace USB board/port; quick/easy/cheap (<US$15) to do yourself. KeithRoss39 has a guide in General which will enable you to get it done; there's a link to it in Hopper8's Odin Troubleshooting guide stickied in General if you can't find it with a search.
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
The Following User Says Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gsync
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle View Post
Replace USB board/port; quick/easy/cheap (<US$15) to do yourself. KeithRoss39 has a guide in General which will enable you to get it done; there's a link to it in Hopper8's Odin Troubleshooting guide stickied in General if you can't find it with a search.
Thanks for the response.

Are you sure it's only the USB board/port that I need to replace? btw, file transfer is perfectly working, charging is the only problem.

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3205
USB board malfunction has become a common fault with this phone (and to be honest, all Samsung phones). The board rarely dies completely all of a sudden, almost always shows a couple of faults but works OK in other ways.

Fairly sure this will fix your problem, and given how cheap it is, you might as well try it before you start spending serious money taking it to a service centre or local mobile repair shop. If that's not the problem, it's likely something else on the motherboard but as to exactly what, that's impossible to say without the phone in front of us.

Replace the USB board & see, given you've tried different batteries & charges, it points to the board/port.
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
The Following User Says Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

keithross39
Old
(Last edited by keithross39; 29th April 2014 at 09:47 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1183
The fact that your phone is functioning normally when you insert an externally (fully) charged battery would indicate that the problem isn't with the motherboard.
The USB charger/port board is connected to the motherboard and is pretty much the only part of the phone that separates the motherboard from the charger. As @MistahBungle says, everything points to that board being faulty, and replacing it really does cost pocket change and is something that is relatively easy to do.......
BTW....here is a link to the guide that mb mentioned....
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2335961
Make sure you read the first post in full before you begin....

Sent from my Markox powered KitKatted S2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keithross39 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

gsync
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thank you. I'll give it a shot.