5,599,135 Members 34,736 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Phone stuck, boot looped, asked for decryption password and died. idea?

Tip us?

Yairr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Phone [Q] Phone stuck, boot looped, asked for decryption password and died. idea?

I searched around but couldn't find this exact problem, can use your advice figuring out what happened to the phone:

1. Recently I had some crashes here and there where applications had to close, I'm not sure if it happened right after I flashed a firmware (XWLSS that someone localized to my language, a very common rom in my region) or sometimes after that, but it wasn't too bad so i lived with it.
2. Yesterday i wanted to update some app that requires 500+ MB to download, Google Play showed some errors when trying to download it (error 24 and sometimes some other code). I noticed other people report it in the reviews but figured it might be space issue so i uninstalled some apps i no longer use.
3. In one of the attempts to download the app I cancelled in the middle.
4. The phone got stuck, I had to close it as no other button responded.
5. The phone got into a boot loop a few times an eventually loaded but asked me for some password to decrypt the data (AFAIK my data is not encrypted)
6. *while the phone is still on, asking for that password*, i removed the battery and put it back in.

Since then the phone doesn't show any sign of being alive:
* Nothing on screen when trying to start it
* Nothing on screen when trying to charge (replacing the battery didn't work either)
* Nothing on screen when holding VolumeUp+Home+Power button
* Nothing on screen when holding VolumeDown+Home+Power buttons
* Nothing on screen when plugging in a JIG

Any ideas what happened?
What would be needed to fix it? (JTAG? soemthing else?)

Thanks!

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3026
JTAG unlikely to work, but if you can get someone who does JTAG's to try one on the basis of 'you don't pay unless the JTAG is successful', you might as well try & see. More likely fix is motherboard replacement. As to why this happened, without having the phone in front of us, that would be pretty much impossible for anyone here to say (despite the good/thorough/detailed info you've provided).
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Probably the best thread ever posted on XDA
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
Donate to you ?? Bahahaaaaahahahahahahaaahahaha !!!
The Following User Says Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Yairr
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle View Post
JTAG unlikely to work, but if you can get someone who does JTAG's to try one on the basis of 'you don't pay unless the JTAG is successful', you might as well try & see. More likely fix is motherboard replacement. As to why this happened, without having the phone in front of us, that would be pretty much impossible for anyone here to say (despite the good/thorough/detailed info you've provided).
Thanks

I was hoping to hear it could be something easy to fix (since it didn't happen while doing anything advanced, I used this rom for months now...)
But it sounds like it is just as bad as it looks like, gonna buy a new phone i guess since JTAGing alone costs around 130$-140$ in the local repair shops in my country (and if that's the lowest estimate for a possible solution then...).

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3026
If you're talking US$ equivalent, you can buy a 2nd hand motherboard cheaper than that if you look around. But if you've had the phone for a while, yeah, getting a new phone becomes a reasonable option if you're due for one soonish anyway; that's what I did in August when my SGS2 began playing up/showing signs of hardware issues.
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Probably the best thread ever posted on XDA
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
Donate to you ?? Bahahaaaaahahahahahahaaahahaha !!!