Power IC - Dead S2

Tip us?

shuvabrata
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default Power IC - Dead S2

Hi All,

My S2 just died two days back while getting charged. The phone just won't turn on. This happened once previously and i got my motherboard replaced from the Samsung Authorised Service Centre at the cost of INR 9,000 [USD 150] (almost at 1/3rd the purchasing price of the phone).

This time i went to a third party repair vendor in Mumbai, India called phonecare.in

They are telling me that the power IC on the motherboard has fried and it needs to be replaced quoting a price of INR 2,000 [USD 30]. They also advised me that overcharging the phone like keeping it on charge while sleeping makes the IC burn out. Is that true? Please let me know.

Also, any Indian users here, please let me know your feedback on phonecare.in as well.

regards,
Nandi
Shuvabrata Nandi
Google Nexus 5
Amazon Kindle Fire on KitKat

akhil17kr
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvabrata View Post
Hi All,

My S2 just died two days back while getting charged. The phone just won't turn on. This happened once previously and i got my motherboard replaced from the Samsung Authorised Service Centre at the cost of INR 9,000 [USD 150] (almost at 1/3rd the purchasing price of the phone).

This time i went to a third party repair vendor in Mumbai, India called phonecare.in

They are telling me that the power IC on the motherboard has fried and it needs to be replaced quoting a price of INR 2,000 [USD 30]. They also advised me that overcharging the phone like keeping it on charge while sleeping makes the IC burn out. Is that true? Please let me know.

Also, any Indian users here, please let me know your feedback on phonecare.in as well.

regards,
Nandi
dude i have also same problem..
does your problem solved after changing POWER IC ???
i am also from INDIA
Hit Thanks if i help u

shuvabrata
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Replied to your PM
Shuvabrata Nandi
Google Nexus 5
Amazon Kindle Fire on KitKat

MaulikS
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Well, I too faced the same problem.

Do you have an update to share?

I bought my S2 in June, 2011.

Day before yesterday it was connected to my PC via USB and suddenly it just stuck on boot screen.

No Recovery mode but, yes I could access Download mode. (I still can access Download mode)

I tried flashing the stock firmware but it would not pass NAND WRITE START..tried flashing siyah kernel...would not pass NAND WRITE START.

Showed it at a local service centre..They say I need a motherboard replacement (standard answer)...Cost: Rs. 8,852/-

My phone was pretty good till date & if I don't get it serviced it would just be an "EXPENSIVE PAPERWEIGHT".

I just want to ask if a JTAG can solve the problem? Or like you suggested in your post.. by changing the power IC ?

If not, is it viable to spend so much on a 2.7 year old phone?

Any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvabrata View Post
Hi All,

regards,
Nandi

akhil17kr
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaulikS View Post
Well, I too faced the same problem.

Do you have an update to share?

I bought my S2 in June, 2011.

Day before yesterday it was connected to my PC via USB and suddenly it just stuck on boot screen.

No Recovery mode but, yes I could access Download mode. (I still can access Download mode)

I tried flashing the stock firmware but it would not pass NAND WRITE START..tried flashing siyah kernel...would not pass NAND WRITE START.

Showed it at a local service centre..They say I need a motherboard replacement (standard answer)...Cost: Rs. 8,852/-

My phone was pretty good till date & if I don't get it serviced it would just be an "EXPENSIVE PAPERWEIGHT".

I just want to ask if a JTAG can solve the problem? Or like you suggested in your post.. by changing the power IC ?

If not, is it viable to spend so much on a 2.7 year old phone?

Any suggestions?
i told you to ask for local repair shops.. what they said ???
have you asked for POWER IC replacement or replacing motherboard ??
ask prices from them ?

does your phone camera right side's heats up where POWER IC is located ?? mine gets heat up on charging ..
Hit Thanks if i help u
The Following User Says Thank You to akhil17kr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

shamsh_007
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil17kr View Post
i told you to ask for local repair shops.. what they said ???
have you asked for POWER IC replacement or replacing motherboard ??
ask prices from them ?

does your phone camera right side's heats up where POWER IC is located ?? mine gets heat up on charging ..
mine have same problem heat up on charging no recovery no download mode.may be JTAG can solve our problem

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3031
JTAG very very unlikely to work, so don't pay somebody upfront to try a JTAG - only try a JTAG if they're prepared to do so on the basis of 'you only pay them if a JTAG is possible/successful' or you're just throwing money away you could be putting towards actually having the phone fixed.
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Probably the best thread ever posted on XDA
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
Donate to you ?? Bahahaaaaahahahahahahaaahahaha !!!

akhil17kr
Old
Thanks Meter 35
the local repair shop owner said it'll take 3-4 days to replace the Motherboard so i told him to call me when he'll get the motherboard as he doesn't have currently in his shop..
SO he'll call me within 3-4 days when he'll receive motherboard and I'll get my motherboard replace from him... he has already told me it'll be genuine and I've pics of my old Motherboard for future reference in case he'll do some other stuff on my Old Motherboard to wok it again..

BTW does Imie changes when motherboard gets replaced ???
and can i check on my motherboard at home whether which part of it if gets Shot-circuited or not ???
Hit Thanks if i help u