Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,247 Members 50,654 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[READ THIS] Got a Boot Loop? Don't post a New Thread!

Tip us?

pulser_g2
Old
(Last edited by pulser_g2; 2nd September 2011 at 01:55 PM.)
Developer Admin / Senior Recognized Developer - OP
Thanks Meter 10712
Default [READ THIS] Got a Boot Loop? Don't post a New Thread!

OK so it seems a lot of people are having issues with boot loops when they are messing around with things. First thing. Your phone is NOT bricked or broken.

It's just unable to start due to something missing or broken. Don't panic, there's no issue. I did this the day I got my phone, and there was nobody to "help" as such, so I just fixed it myself.

These are the steps to fix a boot loop. If you do this correctly, it WILL fix it. But you must do it EXACTLY to the letter.

So here we go...

1) Turn off your phone. Unplug it from your computer etc

2) Hold down home, power, and volume UP. This will enter recovery mode. If you are using CF-Root, you'll get CWM recovery. If not, you get stock recovery. It doesn't matter which appears.

3) Choose to wipe user data from the menu.

4) Turn off the phone by long-pressing the power button.

5) Prepare ODIN on your PC by using task manager to kill any KIES processes, then open ODIN.

6) Put your phone into download mode (home + power + volume down)

7) Plug your phone into the computer using the factory USB cable. The leftmost box should go yellow and an ID number will appear.

8) Flash a stock ROM from those available in ODIN format, and the phone will boot correctly.

Alternatively, it is possible to flash VillainROM 1.1 if you are not comfortable in wiping via recovery, or if you cannot do so for any reason (corrupted kernel etc), as it wipes all users data when installing. Simply ignore steps 2 to 4, and flash VillainROM 1.1 via ODIN instead of the stock ROM.

Any questions about boot loops? Ask them here rather than making new threads.

Adding a nice little video from user "dullah"

Having trouble getting an answer? | What is XDA about? | How to ask for help?

if [ $PM.incoming.type = $type.question.ROM.how_to_use ] || [ $PM.incoming.type = $type.question.ROM.silly_question ]; then mv $PM.incoming /.trash; PM.response($responsetype.ignore); $PM.sender.ignore_in_future=true; init.sequence($boy_who_cried_wolf); fi;

BTC: 1K2fpDsRHkirWmk3PKiqtzhVHKUJCWPWnN
PGP: 0x260F4FDEF258E3C4
The Following 111 Users Say Thank You to pulser_g2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

greigster
Old
Thanks Meter 35
Great instructions, I wish I had these 2 nights ago.
Thanks
Samsung Galaxy Note
I am just an old noob that gets confused easily
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to greigster For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

darkstar09
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by greigster View Post
Great instructions, I wish I had these 2 nights ago.
Thanks
Yea me too
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darkstar09 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

axt
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Thumbs up TNX !

You're a great, I risked a heart attack!
The Following User Says Thank You to axt For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

urmybaby
Old
Thanks Meter 1
noted with thx, I wish i had the correct instruction 3 days ago.
one more question, do we have to do one more step to flash the stock kernel after we flash the stock rom?
The Following User Says Thank You to urmybaby For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Dannyboyni
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I plug the phone into the pc, but my drivers dont seem to be working it fails to be recognised. I tried with another Galaxy S II, and this phone does appear on the pc. Im thinking its because my phone isnt in download mode?

Any ideas?

mitchell.tamsett2
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Legend, thank god for this topic
The Following User Says Thank You to mitchell.tamsett2 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

knitterb
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Filed under "Need to have handy!"
The Following User Says Thank You to knitterb For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

JJEgan
Old
Thanks Meter 4417
You can also try just 1 2 3 & 4 and see if phone boots .
Its done just that for me as i try to clear a bootloop from a wipe to stock .

jje

(.)
Old
Thanks Meter 99
I had it myself and i was pretty happy that i uses the backup function from recoverymode cwm.

I would really really recommend that u use this BEFORE doing any critical changes to your phone.

Do you like to share ALL your private files/data to strangers?
Like your actual Contacts, SMS, MMS, Emails, Photos, Videos, GPS Position, Notes, Passwords...

Everything of these can be easy downloaded in the backround with normal looking apps from your normal unsecured android smartphone!

Did you know that?

to secure your smartphone, read on:

Android Security Warning!

Android Privacy

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to (.) For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]