Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,164 Members 50,068 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Reasons of hard brick

Tip us?

jaswinprakash
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Reasons of hard brick

Anybody tell me the reasons of hard bricking emmc on galaxy s2 and the price of replacing the chip ?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3,205
*Bad flash - either momentary issue with usb connection between phone/PC (or even an issue with the USB board on the phone), or pulling the cable in the middle of a flash, or flashing wrong firmware.
*Simple component failure on the motherboard, either the EMMC itself or some other component. Fact - electronics breaks.

Regardless of cause, if you want this fixed properly, you replace the motherboard. Some unscrupulous repairers may try to sell you a fix that involves replacing individual components on the board, but that's very very difficult even for highly skilled people to do, and would probably cost you more than a motherboard replacement given the time involved; having it done by someone actually qualified it would cost more than a new board, put it that way. Someone not particularly skilled/qualified might charge you a lot less, but the repair will quite possibly fail, and you'll need to replace the board anyway - and you get charged for the failed repair plus the cost of replacing the board. You also run the risk of having other components in the phone damaged by someone with less than stellar skills.

I have never seen anyone on here post they've had individual components on the motherboard replaced successfully.

Motherboard replacement cost varies widely from country to country mostly dependent on cost of labour - if you want a new board, talk to a Samsung authorised repairer (expensive option). Or you can either source a 2nd hand board yourself online & pay a local mobile repair shop to swap the boards (cheaper option), or they may be able to source a 2nd hand board for you.

So, bottom line - if you want the phone fixed without fuss guaranteed (unless there's problems with other components), you replace the board & don't even consider anything else.
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jaswinprakash
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
How much a motherboard and replacement costs..?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

GreekBlood
Old
Thanks Meter 285

DONATE TO ME
it varies between 40-180 dollar on ebay.

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3,205
Labour costs to do the replacement (if you don't do it yourself) vary enormously from country to country (depending on wages generally in that country); ask local mobile repair shops what they'd charge you to swap a motherboard.
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?