Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,781,609 Members 42,417 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] S2 Display Problem

Tip us?

Blackus17
Old
(Last edited by Blackus17; 10th July 2014 at 10:40 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Default [Q] S2 Display Problem

Heard that amoled pixels die over long usage . Samsung stopped production of super amoled "plus" displays due to some serious problems. So, if amoleds die fast, amoled pluses die even faster ?

I am planning to buy a used S2, so shall I buy it ? Any real problems related to displays ? Anyone actually experienced such problems in S2 ? If a buy an S2 now , will its display last for next four years ? till 2018 ? Funny , but I am serious.

Will the pixels in S2 die ? and the screen will become black at some minute portions ?

Sorry for my bad english
Please help.
Sent from Blackus17's Samsung Galaxy S GT-I9000

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3,205
I personally wouldn't buy a 2nd hand S2. Expecting a phone that's already been used for up to 3 yrs to last another 4 yrs is expecting too much. We see more & more devices with faults nowadays (which is normal for any electronic device with age really), you're almost certain to have some kind of hardware issue(s) at some point. Plus you more than likely have no idea of the 'history' of the phone (what's gone wrong with it up until now).

For me, that would be a no go unless I either got it for free or really cheap (like AUD$25, tops). The only really cheap repair you can do yourself is the USB board which is about 10 bucks, anything else starts to become expensive, like the screen or motherboard, which can as much as or more than what you pay for the phone (depending on how much you pay, obviously). You'd be better off getting something newer/2nd hand.

If you can't afford that, you're going to have to decide whether to take the chance or not, and nobody here can tell you with any certainty how long the phone will last before developing faults (despite what they may tell you; anything people here do say is guessing/bull****), I mean, we've seen phones a few weeks old with faults, and some people have had their phones 2/3 yrs without having anything go wrong hardware-wise. It's the luck of the draw, as the saying goes.
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
The Following User Says Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TheImpossibleEnemy
Old
(Last edited by TheImpossibleEnemy; 10th July 2014 at 12:45 PM.)
Thanks Meter 128
To check if that display is heavily used,open a pure grey,white or blue image in full screen at lowest brightness and look for strange lines,stripes,patches,burn-ins,tints,uneven brightness and so on...everything that shouldn't be there.If everything's fine - you're good to go.IMO,if you'll take it,the only thing you might notice in another few years will/may be a slightly reduced max brightness and a little less blue push,but I guess you already know all this stuff,it seems you own a similar amoled-powered device.
GT-i9100
NeatROM 6.3
Apolo 4.14
The Following User Says Thank You to TheImpossibleEnemy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]