An Android Enthusiast’s Apple iPhone 6 Challenge – XDA TV

The media has gone batty again over Apple “revolutionizing” … more

Sony to Extend its AOSP Program to Other Devices

Sony will be offering its users the possibility to use AOSP ROMs as an alternative to the … more

Project Ara Smartphone Will Run Modified Android L with Hot Swapping

Project Ara is a very exciting topic–both for hardware and … more

Streamline Android Theme Customization with Graphic Porter

I dont have a custom theme on my Android phone, and the reason for this is because … more

[Q] Why are my ringer and notification volumes NOT linked in ICS?

26th May 2012, 12:23 PM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 808

788 posts
GB I have the option to link or keep separate.
I personally prefer separate control over these settings.
Why would you wish to permanently link them?
Could you not simply just set these values where you wish them individually and be satisfied?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA
26th May 2012, 01:00 PM   |  #12  
Flag Hereford
Thanks Meter: 184

667 posts
More
How hard is it to turn one or both up or down. Custom settings are what makes a phone individual.Personally i like the idea they are not linked. My ringer can be turn full on or off and my notifications to just a whisper...Perfect.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
26th May 2012, 06:41 PM   |  #13  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

9 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jebuchanan

GB I have the option to link or keep separate.
I personally prefer separate control over these settings.
Why would you wish to permanently link them?
Could you not simply just set these values where you wish them individually and be satisfied?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using XDA

If I want my ringer to be quiet, I want my notifications to also be quiet. I should be able to do this via the volume rocker, like I can on my One X, and used to be able to do prior to my I9100's ICS update.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bored_stupid

How hard is it to turn one or both up or down. Custom settings are what makes a phone individual.Personally i like the idea they are not linked. My ringer can be turn full on or off and my notifications to just a whisper...Perfect.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

It's quite a nuisance if I want them to be adjusted concurrently.

I've read that ICS is supposed to force (or give the option of) linking, which is the point of my thread. Is this only the case for every phone except the I9100?
26th May 2012, 06:42 PM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
nice thanks so much
6th June 2012, 10:22 AM   |  #15  
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 13

85 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bored_stupid

How hard is it to turn one or both up or down. Custom settings are what makes a phone individual.

Its not a custom setting, this is supposed to be stock ICS, i certainly wouldnt have chose to have this crap feature.

It now takes 4 presses to get to the menu every time you wander into a quiet situation, and then another 4 when you leave it (not including actually moving the volume sliders).

I personally find that very annoying when there's a volume control on the side of my phone.
6th June 2012, 11:29 AM   |  #16  
Thanks Meter: 3,206

7,088 posts
Use CM9. Has ability to link ringtone & notification volumes.
26th June 2012, 04:20 PM   |  #17  
Thanks Meter: 10

68 posts
Is there a way to implement this on stock Samsung ICS (Touchwiz)? Tried quick settings but the option is greyed out.

Thanks
3rd July 2012, 06:58 PM   |  #18  
Thanks Meter: 17

190 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEgan

Everything I've read says that ICS links the ringer and notification volumes, but this has not been my experience.

Evidence please .

jje

I've had this issue too. Thought the volume buttons should control both ringer and notifications but they didnt. Im running Caulkin's ICS rom too so that may have something to do with it. Regardless, after MUCH searching and downloading of apps that I thought would do this but they didn't, I finally found an app that did this for me! Quick Settings by Halfbit - note that there are two apps by different developers called the same thing. I didn't try the other one but this one worked.

Strange though, the selection to link the notification and ringer volumes is checked, but grayed out. So guess you have to uninstall the app to change this configuration..
17th September 2012, 05:54 PM   |  #19  
Flag Houston, we've had a problem, Texas
Thanks Meter: 8

72 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskyfan23

Glad I'm not alone... but maybe us 2 are?

Apparently not. Stock/ota ics for droid4 also removes the checkbox to allow you to link the volumes if you want to. I want to link them as well so when i turn it down at a meeting, i don't get blown out of my chair when i get a text.

Setting everything once and forgetting it doesn't work for a lot of people. For me, i need it quiet at work, then loud while not at work so i can hear ringer/sms sounds over road noise/music while driving, or if i leave my phone upstairs at home. I use moto's smart actions to handle the volume changing automatically (think of it as a gimped version of tasker) but now that ringtone and notification vol are no longer linkable, and smart actions can't control notification volume, i consider it to be broken. It turns down ringer vol just fine, but notifications are still crazy loud. Very annoying. Can't wait for cm9 (or even 10) for the droid4!

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread