Originally Posted by Joheee
I really tried to learn everything about rooting and flashing and custom ROM, and I am already busy all day, but I still can't get out of all the technological abracadabra, and other existing XDA topics I didn't know if they worked for me too, it would be very awful if I brick it because I didn't understand something small.
I may seem a bit lazy, but could someone please help me in not too technological language and provide me with the correct links to install?
So I have an i9100 second hand. The battery is empty really quick and gets very hot sometimes, and I read that this could be changed by installing custom firmware, like cyanogenmod.
I already have installed Siyah. My current version is Android 4.1.2.
I read things about installing custom recovery or something, but there are no important data on my phone yet, so I assume this is not applicable for me?
Can you install GApps after installing cyanogenmod? Except Google play, Maps and Youtube I don't need/want any other applications I think.
So can anybody provide me with a (customized) step plan what to do to install the best fitting version of cyanogen mod?
Thanks a lot in advance!
Siyah kernel already comes with custom recovery, however, it is out of date now and will not install kitkat roms. You will need to install a kitkat kernel first before installing the kitkat rom.
Yes, you can install gapps after installing cyanogenmod, have a look in the xda forums for modular gapp packages since you don't want some google bloat ware. However, the latest cyanogenmod 11 has a small system partition and will require you to install small gapp packages such as the 20140105 gapps. Search up gapps package on google and click the cyanogenmod link.
Now to install cyanogenmod (I chose cyanogenmod 11 m9 snapshot):
1. Download cyanogenmod 11 m9 snapshot .zip file (should be at cyanogenmod website)
2. Download modular gapps package, but I strongly recommend to install 20140105 gapps package by cyanogenmod
3. Download kitkat compatible kernel (I recommend downloading Pedestre's apolo kernel)
4. Put them all on your phone
Now reboot into recovery with this button combination, hold: (vol+, power, home)
5. Install .zip --> internal sd card (or sd card 0, or wherever you put the zips in) --> select kernel zip
6. Reboot your phone
7. You will notice your phone will not boot into rom, that's ok since it will automatically boot back into the new recovery
8. In the new recovery: press wipe/clear, and swipe the bar to do the factory reset and wipe caches
9. Install cyanogenmod zip
10. Install gapps zip
11. Reboot your phone
12. If your phone doesn't bootloop or crash, you're all good. Note: first boot will take a while, be patient!
Be sure to click the thanks button if you appreciate the help!
For information anything about customizing your android phone, visit: www.androidmodguide.blogspot.com
: Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100
: Cyanogenmod 11 Installer Build Snapshot
: Dorimanx V10.44 RC2