S2 boot hang

Search This thread

NuRoX13

Dec 11, 2013
Hi Guys,

I've been a long time lurker but I have finally registered to ask an important question (well to me anyway)

I fixed one of my friends' LCD and got it working. It turned on and went to the lock screen, all buttons worked but I could not do anything else as there was a password. So today I returned the phone back to him and he about half an hour later he told me he could not get pass the "S" boot logo.

I don't think that I had broken anything while fixing the phone as it booted up successfully multiple times and it is a genuine lcd. So what do you guys think? From previous testing I know that I can get into recovery and download mode so do you think I should factory reset the phone? Will that fix it? From experience I know that some phones are sometimes problematic and require a factory reset after even a general repair. However, he does not have a backup of any of the data and I don't think he would like to lose any data. Is there anyway to get pass this?

I also don't know what firmware it is on nor if it is rooted.

Last edited:

amcgavin

Dec 8, 2013
Sounds like a factory reset seems to be the way to go.

Before you reset though, I'd recommend flashing a custom recovery to create a back up of all the data, or just the /data partition. If the factory reset fixes the problem then you can either flash parts of the back up one by one and test for boot loops, or you can search for a back up explorer and just copy out what you need.

Reactions: immortalneo

immortalneo

Jan 25, 2011
Malappuram, Kerala

Before you reset though, I'd recommend flashing a custom recovery to create a back up of all the data, or just the /data partition. If the factory reset fixes the problem then you can either flash parts of the back up one by one and test for boot loops, or you can search for a back up explorer and just copy out what you need.
Good thinking.. :D
But if the device was not rooted, how would he root (and install a custom recovery) without knowing what firmware it is on?

@OP:
I do not know what caused the issue, but when your phone is stuck at the boot logo, the first thing to try is a factory reset. :)

amcgavin

Dec 8, 2013
Good thinking.. :D
But if the device was not rooted, how would he root (and install a custom recovery) without knowing what firmware it is on?

Is it necessary to know what the firmware is? When rooting my s2 I installed the custom recovery through odin first, and then installed root through through there. No need to know the firmware! :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.