Samsung Galaxy S II I9100 does not charge properly

OP m4rtin86

21st August 2014, 11:13 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
Few days ago my Samsung Galaxy S II I9100 stopped charging properly. If I connected the micro-USB charger, the phone just didn't charge. I tried with another charger, but this did not help. As a next step, I cleaned the micro-USB socket with compressed air and contacts with isopropyl alcohol, but still nothing. If I turned the phone off and connected the charger, instead of charging, the phone started to boot up. Often after the bootup the phone charged for few minutes. According to Battery Widget utility, the battery itself was healthy. As a next step, I made a factory reset, but this did not help. Installing the latest firmware didn't help either. Once those charging problems started, I also noticed that scrolling through messages or using the keyboard was bit disrupted and I often had to press a on-screen keyboard multiple times to print a letter. Finally I took the phone apart to inspect any visual faults, but there were none. All the connectors were properly connected and there were at least no visual signs of malfunction of electronics.
Has anyone seen such behavior? Is it possible that faulty charging module causes such behavior? I would doubt that as this charging module seems to be a fairly simple hardware detail and it's hard to see that this could cause a phone to behave like I described above
21st August 2014, 11:28 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Nijmegen
Thanks Meter: 872

1,138 posts
More
@m4rtin86 So far as i can read it, it is the Battery which doesnt want to get always charged or the charging module like you said. Maybe you can borrow a friend's s2 to see or his battery charges in your phone. If it isnt the charger/usb cable then its battery/charging module.
3rd September 2014, 10:45 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

10 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulsic

@m4rtin86 So far as i can read it, it is the Battery which doesnt want to get always charged or the charging module like you said. Maybe you can borrow a friend's s2 to see or his battery charges in your phone. If it isnt the charger/usb cable then its battery/charging module.

I replaced the charging-module and phone started to charge again. However, I'm bit puzzled how such seemingly simple component could cause such behavior? All it seems to have are just micro-usb jack, microphone, few contacts for speaker, connector for antenna and some electronic components like resistors, SMD capacitors and that seems to be pretty much all. How could such a simple component cause phone to behave in such way?
3rd September 2014, 10:55 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Nijmegen
Thanks Meter: 872

1,138 posts
More
@m4rtin86 I have no clue why that component behaved in such way, but weird things happen to stuff sometimes and nobody knows why and how it could happen. Maybe something was loose a bit and didn't made good contact anymore just sometimes maybe.
Its good to hear that your phone is charging normally again I hope it stays like that for the next 2 years atleast.
Last edited by wulsic; 3rd September 2014 at 10:58 PM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread