Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,417 Members 39,132 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Samsung Galaxy S II Rooting Question(s)

Tip us?

xHausx
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4506

DONATE TO ME
I'd like to remind everyone to try and stay respectful at all times. If you're thinking about adding a less than useful comment please just move on instead.

To the OP, there are four pages now of people being very reasonable and answering your questions. As the name suggests, this website is intended primarily for developers and not as a place for mobile support. Your eagerness to learn is admirable, but questions to nearly everything you're asking is readily available in the forums already. To find it just familiarize yourself with the stuck threads, search through some of the relevant development threads (there is always a search box at the top for each section/thread), and check out some of the information on XDA University. XDA University is very useful for more general topics such as kernels and Android itself.

Forum Rules
Quote:
1. Search before posting.

Use one of our search functions before posting or creating a new thread. Whether you have a question or just something new to share, it's very likely that someone has already asked that question or shared that news.
Quote:
2. Member conduct.

2.1 Language: XDA is a worldwide community. As a result, what may be OK to say in your part of the world, may not be OK elsewhere. Please consider who is reading what you write and don't use profanity, sexually explicit language, rudeness or swearing. Conversely, while reading posts from other members, remember that the word you find offensive may not be offensive to the writer. Tolerance is a two-way street.

2.3 Flaming / Lack of respect: XDA is about sharing and this does not involve virtual yelling (flaming) or rudeness. Flaming or posting with a lack of respect is unacceptable. Treat new members in the manner in which you would like to have been treated when you were a new member. When dealing with any member, provide them with guidance, advice and instructions when you can, showing them respect and courtesy. Never post in a demanding, argumentative, disrespectful or self-righteous manner.
The Following User Says Thank You to xHausx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tonkku107
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by xHausx View Post
I'd like to remind everyone to try and stay respectful at all times. If you're thinking about adding a less than useful comment please just move on instead.

To the OP, there are four pages now of people being very reasonable and answering your questions. As the name suggests, this website is intended primarily for developers and not as a place for mobile support. Your eagerness to learn is admirable, but questions to nearly everything you're asking is readily available in the forums already. To find it just familiarize yourself with the stuck threads, search through some of the relevant development threads (there is always a search box at the top for each section/thread), and check out some of the information on XDA University. XDA University is very useful for more general topics such as kernels and Android itself.

Forum Rules
I still can't find any info abaut what kernel I need to choose...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
Help! Which file do I use ?
Listen closely, for I will say zis only once!

Go to Settings -> About phone -> Kernel Version. Note the string present there:

2.6.35.7-I9100XXKG1-CL349526

What matters most (KG1) in this case, is in bold. Try to find the matching file under downloads:

CF-Root-SGS2_XX_OXA_KG1-v4.1-CWM4.zip
My kernel is: 3.0.31-1418025 dpi@DELL226 #3 SMP PREEMPT Wed Sep 25 18:29:28 KST 2013
and I didn't find one that maches my kernel...

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3205
And I'd like to remind everyone of the wonderful things you can learn by reading...(Which has been impressed on the OP how many times in this thread already ? I'd need to be Tasmanian in order to count with my digits)

'What if there is no matching download ?'
'If there's no match...try finding the closest match'

I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank my grade one teacher Tina Toukas for teaching me reading & comprehension skills. They've served me well throughout my life.
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?
The Following User Says Thank You to MistahBungle For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

keithross39
Old
Thanks Meter 1180
Ok......this REALLY will be the LAST reply I'll post.......
If you are running STOCK JELLYBEAN
1) forget about trying to match your KERNEL........
2) go to settings>>about device>>build number/version.
3) look for the LAST 5 DIGITS.....(something similar to XXLPT) and write them down.
4) visit this thread...
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1877270
and match those 5 letters you wrote down to one of the downloads in the thread.
5) look for the ZIP version of that download and download it to your phone.
6) turn the phone off and reboot into recovery (You DO know how to do that.....right?)
7) select option to "apply update from SD card"
8) scroll to and select your download.......and install it.......
9) reboot your phone.

You are now rooted......

From this point on, you can now install whatever you want....
Just remember that if your "end goal" is to be running KitKat, you will need to replace the newly flashed CWM with a KK compatible CWM before you flash the ROM.
But if you read the instructions for your chosen ROM, you'll discover that anyway......

If you still don't "get it" after this, then I REALLY WOULD advise you to leave your phone as it is........

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to keithross39 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tonkku107
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithross39 View Post
If you are running STOCK JELLYBEAN
1) forget about trying to match your KERNEL........
2) go to settings>>about device>>build number/version.
3) look for the LAST 5 DIGITS.....(something similar to XXLPT) and write them down.
And we had to go through all this to get that answer?

MistahBungle
Old
Thanks Meter 3205
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithross39 View Post
Didn't you say that a week ago ?
If it's important enough to cause you grief if it's lost, back it up. No excuses
Trolling for thanks is lame
Does Samsung's auto-brightness implementation crap drive you to self-harm ? A solution !
Failure to search is the leading cause of male impotence on XDA
If you don't know how to recover if things go wrong, what are you doing flashing custom roms ?

keithross39
Old
Thanks Meter 1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonkku107 View Post
And we had to go through all this to get that answer?
I *had* hoped that leaving you to your own devices might force you to search and read and learn.......guess I was wrong.......

Sent from my Markox powered KitKatted S2

---------- Post added at 11:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MistahBungle View Post
Didn't you say that a week ago ?
I know....I know....lol......
But I kept on getting these updates on my "participated" list that said things like "c'mon".....etc.....
Was getting a bit tedious.....

Sent from my Markox powered KitKatted S2